SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba's Staff: Who's it gonna be?.......and when?

Siouxperfan777

Tom Miller predicting Luke Knauf as the new OL coach.

Current Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach/Recruiting Coordinator at D-II Western New Mexico University. Played at UW from 2003-2006.

I really do like the hire after reading up on him, improved Luther college from 112 yds/game in 2008 to 183 yds/game in 2010. He was a lineman and one of the best running programs in the country and got some of the best coaching. I don't care about experience, to get a guy with his playing experience is a huge get. Love Love Love it!!!

Wow. Good luck coaching 30 year old vets

He was Jay Grudens' tight ends coach back in 2009 in the UFL. Actually had a coaching assistants job at age 23 with the buccaneers. Certain people just command respect regardless of age, insinuating he won't be successful due to his age is really quite narrow-minded. He has been one of the better TE coaches in the league the last couple years here, guy just lucked out and had a head coach come in that he had already coached with. Must have left quite the impression.....

So it seems as though the staff is complete with the exception of a WR coach. Rumor is that Freund may get that spot which seems kind of a token hire. He doesn't have any WR experience at the coaching level. Too bad they don't seem to be giving the same thought to WR coach as they have to other positions. I also heard that the offense will be more conservative and stick to a pro style offense. Personally, I love the spread and what well coached teams can do from the spread. I just hope we don't become ultra conservative on the offensive side because it sounded like Bubba was anything but conservative on the defensive side of the ball.

If what you mean by conservative is we run more and use a play-action passing game rather than carelessly chucking the ball downfield out of the gun, then yes, we'll be more conservative. Did you see the style the teams played in the FCS National Championship? It certainly was no air raid offense, that's for sure. Did you see the improvement Montana made from 2012 to 2013? Well they also transitioned from the spread to a pro style.

We will be much better off with the new offensive philosophy. We will emphasize the running game again finally. Also, we won't turn the ball over as much and our defense will be improved because of it.

If what you mean by conservative is we run more and use a play-action passing rather than carelessly chucking the ball downfield out of the gun, then yes, we'll be more conservative. Did you see the style the teams played in the FCS National Championship? It certainly was no air raid offense, that's for sure. Did you see the improvement Montana made from 2012 to 2013? Well they also transitioned from the spread to a pro style.

We will be much better off with the new offensive philosophy. We will emphasize the running game again finally. Also, we won't turn the ball over as much and our defense will be improved because of it.

NDSU was so damn good because there running game could open up the passing game, while keeping the defense off the field. I love focusing more on ball control, our defense got gashed to many times because of the number of short drives we have had the last couple of years. We didn't have the depth to keep the defense fresh for 4 quarters.

An offense is only as good as the running game they have, this is great news for us.

NDSU was so damn good because there running game could open up the passing game, while keeping the defense off the field. I love focusing more on ball control, our defense got gashed to many times because of the number of short drives we have had the last couple of years. We didn't have the depth to keep the defense fresh for 4 quarters.

An offense is only as good as the running game they have, this is great news for us.

Absolutely. If we can run the football and play the field position game, then our defense will be much better. It also doesn't hurt to have a new-found defensive emphasis with Bubba as the head coach.

He was Jay Grudens' tight ends coach back in 2009 in the UFL. Actually had a coaching assistants job at age 23 with the buccaneers. Certain people just command respect regardless of age, insinuating he won't be successful due to his age is really quite narrow-minded. He has been one of the better TE coaches in the league the last couple years here, guy just lucked out and had a head coach come in that he had already coached with. Must have left quite the impression.....

I didn't insinuate that he won't be successful. It is, however, human nature to not like taking orders from someone younger than you. I hope it works out for him because I actually like when young coaches get opportunities like the TT coach.

Absolutely. If we can run the football and play the field position game, then our defense will be much better. It also doesn't hurt to have a new-found defensive emphasis with Bubba as the head coach.

I was just about to make a similar point. Just as a result of the change in offensive style the defense should be greatly improved.

Not only will the d be more fresh but the coaches will have more time to make in game adjustments.

I was just about to make a similar point. Just as a result of the change in offensive style the defense should be greatly improved.

Not only will the d be more fresh but the coaches will have more time to make in game adjustments.

Now that would be a change of pace to see....I am by no means an expert, but when I have a budlight on my couch and can call the plays UND would do with some accuracy I knew there was a problem. I shouldn't be able to do that lol

Now that would be a change of pace to see....I am by no means an expert, but when I have a budlight on my couch and can call the plays UND would do with some accuracy I knew there was a problem. I shouldn't be able to do that lol

I meant more so the defense. If we do get noticeable and effective adjustments from both sides of the ball my brain may need to get scraped off of the speakers at the Alerus. I'm looking forward to that happening.

Paul Rudolph: Played college ball at Minot St. Coached in Minnesota, Iowa, and North Dakota.

Eric Schmidt: Played college ball at North Dakota. Coached at North Dakota and Southern Illinois.

Shawn Kostich: No collegiate playing experience. Coached at Minnesota.

Jordan Gigli: Played college ball at Trine (Indiana). Coached at Sac St., Minnesota, Western Illinois, and Wittinberg (Ohio).

Marty Rodgers: Played college ball at Southern Illinois. Coached at Southern Illinois and Minot St.

Luke Knauf: Played college ball at Wisconsin. Coached at Wisconsin La-Crosse, Luther College (Iowa), and Western New Mexico.

Joel Schwenzfeier: Played college ball at North Dakota. Coached at North Dakota.

Stating the obvious here, but this staff has a lot of Midwest flavor to it. No surprise, as that is exactly what Bubba said he wanted from the day he was introduced. All three coordinators are VERY local to the University of North Dakota. When you look at the staff, its pretty easy to see where the recruiting focus is going to be. I assume Gigli and Knauf are going to be the guys that recruit the Big Sky states.

A quick glance at Minot's roster reveals a lot of Montana and Florida players. I wonder if Rudolph has connections to those states. For as much as North Dakota has traditionally relied on Minnesota and Wisconsin players, I've always wondered if both South Dakota and Montana have been under-recruited by UND. Both states are obviously far less populous than MN and WI, but the traditional success of both UM and MSU, and even Carroll College, would indicate there are quality players to be had there. I've always felt once you get a little ways away from Sioux Falls, UND should have just as good a chance to get South Dakota kids as do USD and SDSU.

It also helps when dad was an NFL big-timer.

UND made if official today. Freund staying on the staff to coach WR. I have no problems with this. I feel Danny is a solid coach with great enthusiasm. I don't put all the blame of the QB play last year completely on him. To many other factors for a coach or a freshmen QB to shoulder all the blame.

Former QBs can make very good coaches for a lot of non QB positions, especially WR. He can coach them from the QB perspective and show them what the QB is looking for. He'll also be good at teaching the offense since I'm sure it will look a lot like what he ran.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I feel both the Schwenzfeier and Freund hirings are the most questionable of Bubba's staff. Nevertheless, I hope it works out.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I feel both the Schwenzfeier and Freund hirings are the most questionable of Bubba's staff. Nevertheless, I hope it works out.

Just for fun I picked the Patriots to check out their receiver coach's bio. He played QB in college. Previously he had been a special teams coach for another team. The Patriots TE coach....played QB in college.

Both were smart players. It was an issue having a former safety coach rbs. Schwenzfeier knows the defense really well and Freund knows offense really well so I'm sure they'll be fine.

The staff as a whole looks like a massive upgrade from the last few years.

They definitely are the two that have the least outside experience. Not surprised they kept one or two from the old staff around, just to keep a little continuation with the players. I would guess they are also further down on the pay scale as well, not going to attract as high of profile guys there either. Overall, I can say I am more than pleasantly surprised with the staff that Bubba put together.

I can live with Freund staying on, and here's why: The QB coach can only do so much.

When your OC is not doing smart play calling the QB is being put into situations that are more difficult than need be. An example is the Portland State game. The (former) OC did not give any consideration to "clock". He kept trying to #chuckthepigskin rather than run the ball once in a while to (a) keep the defense honest, and more importantly (b) keep the clock running with his offense on the field and a 3 point lead.

Specifically (from the UND/PSU game, 4th quarter, UND leading 10-0):

NORTH DAKOTA drive start at 14:48.

1-10 UND 11 Jake Miller rush for 3 yards to the UND14 (Corey Crowder;Junior Alexis).

2-7 UND 14 Joe Mollberg pass complete to Romon Bridges for 5 yards to the UND19 (J. Shoemaker).

3-2 UND 19 Jake Miller rush for 5 yards to the UND24, 1ST DOWN UND (David Edgerson). R9

Wow, a rushing first down! But then you follow that up with ...

1-10 UND 24 Jake Miller rush for 1 yard to the UND25 (Sadat Sulleyman).

2-9 UND 25 Joe Mollberg pass incomplete to Greg Hardin.

3-9 UND 25 Joe Mollberg pass incomplete to Blair Townsend (Dennis Fite).

Followed up by ...

4-9 UND 25 Mitch Meindel punt BLOCKED, recovered by UND Mitch Meindel at UND15 (blocked by MichaelPlummer), Mitch Meindel rush for 3 yards to the UND18.

7 plays, 17 yards, 2:26

I guess I can't hang that onto the QB, or the QB coach. You've been holding onto a 10 point lead most of the game. Their offense has done nothing to this point. Help your defense out; keep them off the field for a couple more minutes by ...

#RunTheRockRunTheClock

Both were smart players. It was an issue having a former safety coach rbs. Schwenzfeier knows the defense really well and Freund knows offense really well so I'm sure they'll be fine.

The staff as a whole looks like a massive upgrade from the last few years.

I do agree that this year's staff is far superior than last year's staff; at least on paper anyway. And of course it all starts at the top - I have been incredibly impressed with Coach Schweigert and how he's carried himself thus far. We're on the up swing.