SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNC (12/29)

SWSiouxMN

Its hard to even begin on this game and say what went right. If it wasn't one thing it was the other. When we would play good D, we could box out. When we ran our offense to a T, we can't convert the shot. When we got it close to even give it a threat, we run something stupid.

Pros:

-Nash: When Nash wasn't playing hot potato with the bench, he was the best player on the team. He attacked, smartly. He is 6'8 and UNC could not stop him. Had an overall nice game with rebounding, blocking shots, assists and steals. The one quibble was some of his defense, but when you are overmatched and getting backed down, its kinda hard

-Calcaterra: Yup and here is why. He did have a good game, he was effected in individual post play and looked good in his 15 foot jump shots, and he set very good, legal screens. My quibble, he should have been given the ball more and I am dead serious. He should continue to get minutes over Salmonson.

Cons:

-Coaching: Jones putting in a line change after the timeout was a disaster on many levels. First off, the fact you put Webb, Schuler, Benton, Salmonson and Stefan in a group and sent them out there is dumb on many levels. You compound the issue by taking out Calcaterra and Anderson who was actually in rhythm and doing good, Nash who pretty much didn't couldn't get into rhythm until late in the 1st half. Salmonson did nothing to help, Stefan was playing as a drive guard, which is not his game he is a spot up shooter. Jones should have just taken Hooker out for Webb and let it run. There is other moments to get the other subs in.

That group should never be used again as a unit because it does not have the necessary personnel to be efficient.

IF YOU HAVE NOTED THAT YOUR MAN D STINKS, WHY DO YOU WAIT UNTIL 10:00 IN THE 2ND HALF TO SWITCH TO A ZONE

-Defense: To say that UND defense was bad is saying that it is cold right now in North Dakota. I have never seen a team that play so out of position, doesn't want to stay in a defensive stance, no help, gambles too much, fails to box out, etc. EVER! Now, when they did go to zone, it was actually competent, wasn't great or good, but competent. But boxing out is horrible. We will argue if selfish play or defense is the fix, but its 1A and 1B

-Huff: There is no question he is a star. Its time you played like a star and make the star plays such as pass the ball and don't force shots. If you are serious about pro ball anywhere, you will get noticed more this than getting 20+ points a night. I remembered 2 years ago where you had a clunker against NDSU and instead of sulking, you played shut down D. Your issue right now is that you drive and try to get bailed out by the refs, well they were letting them play today so he needs to learn to adjust.

You have 3 games at home against SUU, ISU, and Weber. If they bring this effort they will go 1-2 at home. ISU will beat this team that showed up at UNC. Weber will KILL this team that showed up at UNC. If you bring the effort you are capable of, you will go 3-0.

1 loss does not end a season, but the fact you had a WEEK to prepare for this game and still played like this is alarming.

• Upvote 1

Was at the game today... going by the numbers going in, I was expecting UND's interior D to be bad, but even I was surprised - it was dreadful.

UND goes for the steal often, and sometimes it works (20 turnovers for UNC today)... but when it doesn't, it's like they lay out the red carpet for the ballhandler to get to the hoop for the open layup. Their help defense was just bad.

Offensively, UND seemed to have some struggled with UNC's 3/4 court trap... they just struggled to be able to get into their half-court offense. The Bears were switching all screens, and I think that really took UND out of a rhythm, because they weren't able to turn the corner and get to the hoop, and they always weren't able to hit the screener popping back for a shot - with the switching (and UNC's big men being athletic enough to make that work).

It was a frustrating performance to watch on both ends.

A 25-0 run by UNC in the first half...enough said. Shows the make up of the players and coaches. That should never happen at this level...especially if there was any talk of this team contending for a BS title.

Get rid of the entire coaching staff. Coach Ghemeli (however its spelled) from what I understand is the coach that is in charge of substitutions. He makes horrible decisions on lineups. He takes out the starters for 5-6 minutes at a time. I dont see any other team do this. They let their best players battle. Starting lineup needs a mixup:

1) Anderson

2) Shuler

3) Huff

4) Nash

5) Calcaterra

Why has this lineup not been attempted yet. These guys take out Anderson, Huff and Nash out of the game for Benton, Stefan, and Salmonson. This has to stop. This staff thinks we are the deepest team in college basketball and we're not, AT ALL!

Message to Faison-Get rid of em all and start fresh!

If someone other than Jones makes the "real" decision regarding substitutions, that is amazing - and very concerning!

I'm not so sure it's this way. I've seen Jones many times turn around and say get him out of there or put so and so in. I think for the most part they have a rotation planned but if things go bad with a player or two then Jones makes the decision. We definitely need to cut down our roster on who plays. After watching these last couple of games I would let Webb and Hooker alternate at the 1 with Webb getting 25+ minutes and Hooker around 15. Have Anderson at the 2 and Huff at the 3 with only Schuler backing up the 2 and 3. Take one out for a breather and put Schuler in and then take the other out and move Schuler to the other spot. They would each get around 30 minutes. Have Nash at the 4 for around 30 minutes and Benton for around 10 minutes backup. Start Calcaterra at the 5 with Traylor as the backup and each playing around 20 minutes. This is solid and we would be playing 9 guys max. If there are foul issues then make some minor adjustments with a few other players.

This was a bad loss.

But, harping on the attendance at this game. Announced about 950? WTH? I heard there weren't more than 300 or so there.

Why in God's name did they schedule this game in Colorado during the final regular season Bronco's game? WTH??????

O.K. Rant over.