SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNC (12/29)

SWSiouxMN

UND starts, IMO, a crucial 6 games stretch in conference. UNC preformed the best out of Big Sky in non-conference and is looking to make an early statement that they are a team to beat as well. UND is looking to turn the page from what was a disappointing finish to a non-conference season.

Last year the teams split the 2 meetings, each winning on the road. Anderson hit a game winning 3 the last time these two teams tangled.

We don't know the injury situation with Schuler, Salmonson and Traylor and whether or not they will play. Hooker, Stefan, Antwi and Calcaterra need to step up in some way shape or form to fill the space.

I think Anderson is long overdue for a 20+ point, stat sheet stuffer night. and get to the free throw line please!!!!!

UND starts, IMO, a crucial 6 games stretch in conference. UNC preformed the best out of Big Sky in non-conference and is looking to make an early statement that they are a team to beat as well. UND is looking to turn the page from what was a disappointing finish to a non-conference season.

Last year the teams split the 2 meetings, each winning on the road. Anderson hit a game winning 3 the last time these two teams tangled.

We don't know the injury situation with Schuler, Salmonson and Traylor and whether or not they will play. Hooker, Stefan, Antwi and Calcaterra need to step up in some way shape or form to fill the space.

I think Anderson is long overdue for a 20+ point, stat sheet stuffer night. and get to the free throw line please!!!!!

The attendance at this game will be horrible. 2:00 Mountain Time. Not only is it during Christmas break for UNC, but it's right when the Broncos are playing for home field through the playoffs.

*IF* enough local UND fans show up, the sparse crowd could turn in UND's favor. Not sure how much of a factor that would be, but UNC is a good Big Sky team and we could use any advantage we can get.

I'm going with a friend who graduated from UNC. So, I promise to gag him before the game to give us a +1 advantage... :lol:

Stefan needs to be given the opportunity to step up.

The problem with guys like Stefen, Schuler and Antwi who are our true shooters besides Anderson is they don't get touches or shots. A true shooter needs to shoot and get into a flow but unfortunately with our team these guys have never got the ball when open and hardly get to shoot. It's a shame cause if given the opportunity Schuler has proven he can light it up and with Stefen's stroke he could do the same thing. This type of offense should get them shots but then again no one passes to the open shooter.

Checked some stats for Northern Colorado and looking at their top 8 scorers the tallest of these 8 is 6'5". So basically they run mostly guards and/or small forwards which for once we may have a size advantage with the players that do the scoring. They do have some taller players but they do very little scoring. This team should be beatable on the road if we play together and look for the open shots.

I really have a feeling that we will walk away from this game. I think we will be just fine and we willl figure out how to win on the road starting Sunday. #gosioux

I agree, it's time for this team to start putting things together and beating Northern Colorado on the road is a great way to start. They need to start playing better together though in order to do this.

Agreed. But I think it starts with Jones. He has to do a better job of 1) only play 8-9 guys. Reason being is that he tries to be nice and get everyone in the game, which guys like Cole cant get into the groove of the game. I think it should stop after Stefan, Shuler, Hooker, Traylor .

2) create an effective offense. We continuously have our guards dribbling at the top of the key for 20-25 seconds which then leads to a forced shot. I see alot of people complain about bad shots taken, but really you cant blame guys like Troy and Aaron. They're set up by their coaches to take bad shots. Their offense sets them uo for failure and to take bad shots, versus putt actually motion offenses, where guys are constantly moving.

3) Defend! These guys have to lock in and grow some balls and play physical.

Oh and >They also have to take Shuler out of the post! And take Huff out the corner. Last but not least, start Hooker over Webb!

I think thats it!

Can't believe I agree with you twice in one day. Schuler is very valuable to this team and all Jones is doing is getting him beat up and injured playing on the low block for free throws. His freshman year he played the off guard and what scored around 300 points and over 20 several times and the last 2 years he is playing the 4. He is a shooter and when he is given shots is probably our best outside threat. Put Huff in the low block on free throws and have Schuler out top please. I also agree with going only 3-4 off the bench and give these seniors a chance at a 1 seed so we can be dancing with our best. Everyone has had their chances thru these non conference games and we all know who should be playing. The Big Sky wont pose as much of a threat to us down low so lets beat them with speed and sharp shooting guards. I would start Webb, Anderson, Huff, Nash and Traylor at the 5. Bring Hooker amd Schuler off the bench for around 25 minutes and then some minutes for Calcaterra and Benton. Only use Antwi if the guards get into foul trouble for limited minutes and I still like Stefen a lot but he has just not done much so use him for zones If they are really sagging in on our guards driving. It should be fairly simple for our coaches at this point but who knows.

Can't believe I agree with you twice in one day. Schuler is very valuable to this team and all Jones is doing is getting him beat up and injured playing on the low block for free throws. His freshman year he played the off guard and what scored around 300 points and over 20 several times and the last 2 years he is playing the 4. He is a shooter and when he is given shots is probably our best outside threat. Put Huff in the low block on free throws and have Schuler out top please. I also agree with going only 3-4 off the bench and give these seniors a chance at a 1 seed so we can be dancing with our best. Everyone has had their chances thru these non conference games and we all know who should be playing. The Big Sky wont pose as much of a threat to us down low so lets beat them with speed and sharp shooting guards. I would start Webb, Anderson, Huff, Nash and Traylor at the 5. Bring Hooker amd Schuler off the bench for around 25 minutes and then some minutes for Calcaterra and Benton. Only use Antwi if the guards get into foul trouble for limited minutes and I still like Stefen a lot but he has just not done much so use him for zones If they are really sagging in on our guards driving. It should be fairly simple for our coaches at this point but who knows.

Just curious as I've never seen much from him, why does Benton get time? He's completely useless on offense and he's far from a shut-down defender.

Just curious as I've never seen much from him, why does Benton get time? He's completely useless on offense and he's far from a shut-down defender.

Unlike Schuler and the rest of the guards, minus Hooker, he is actually built to handle more of the wear and tear of playing down low. He is also not afraid to be a banger and mix it up with the posts. Since we have such a terrible situation in the front court currently he has the length and strength to play the 4 much better than Schuler can. Plus he can give that ability of scoring 8-10 points off the bench, as he showed from time to time last year.

Unlike Schuler and the rest of the guards, minus Hooker, he is actually built to handle more of the wear and tear of playing down low. He is also not afraid to be a banger and mix it up with the posts. Since we have such a terrible situation in the front court currently he has the length and strength to play the 4 much better than Schuler can. Plus he can give that ability of scoring 8-10 points off the bench, as he showed from time to time last year.

Agree he is a banger and very physical down low but has not shown to be much in the scoring department and his outside shot and free throw shooting is not good. He did have a few good games last year but he is primarily used to be physical against the much bigger guys. Benton has a guards height but a down low mentality. He is good at being physical but truly should not play many minutes.

Anybody know if Schuler will be able to play? I have to agree with whoever said it before, put Schuler at the 2 and leave him there. My ideal rotation right now assuming everyone is healthy would be:

1 - Anderson, Hooker, Webb

2 - Schuler, Stefan, Antwi, Blake

3 - Huff, Benton, Hobaugh

4 - Nash, Traylor

5 - BREKKE (dream scenario), Salmonson, Calcaterra

Anybody know if Schuler will be able to play? I have to agree with whoever said it before, put Schuler at the 2 and leave him there. My ideal rotation right now assuming everyone is healthy would be:

4 - Nash, Traylor

Schuler and Salmonson are good to go, Traylor is out. This game is huge to get a road win against one of the expected top teams in the conference. I believe we will get it done today.

4 - Nash, Traylor

Love that lineup. This would be our most potent scoring lineup but Jones will never make the change. He is stuck on Anderson at the 2 when he is truly a small point guard. We have maybe the best talent in the league but so many players are out of position due to our lack of production down low without Brekke. Without Brekke with your lineup above I would move Traylor down to the 5 and start him and Benton down to the 4 behind Nash.

Love that lineup. This would be our most potent scoring lineup but Jones will never make the change. He is stuck on Anderson at the 2 when he is truly a small point guard. We have maybe the best talent in the league but so many players are out of position due to our lack of production down low without Brekke. Without Brekke with your lineup above I would move Traylor down to the 5 and start him and Benton down to the 4 behind Nash.

I can see doing that. I just hate watching Benton trying to guard those big guys down low but it seems to be our only option.

The problem with guys like Stefen, Schuler and Antwi who are our true shooters besides Anderson is they don't get touches or shots. A true shooter needs to shoot and get into a flow but unfortunately with our team these guys have never got the ball when open and hardly get to shoot. It's a shame cause if given the opportunity Schuler has proven he can light it up and with Stefen's stroke he could do the same thing. This type of offense should get them shots but then again no one passes to the open shooter.

It's been like that for years - we appear to be wasting our talent so some guys can get on the highlight reel.