SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach?

Cratter

I spoke with a friend of mine (D-II) that coached against Rudolph many times. He told me that Rudolph is a great selection for UND.

"Elated"? "Horrible coach"? To me that sounds like a parent/s that didn't agree with how much playing time their kid was getting. I seriously doubt Bubba would pick a "horrible coach" to be his OC.

Not parents at all!! Talking about people in the know in Minot(Boosters) These people have been tied into Beaver athletics for over 30 years...Again, don't kill the messenger!! Just telling you their thoughts!! These are people that go to every game!!

I certainly have no idea how this will turn out! No where did I say he was a bad coach!! Just what I've been told.

http://www.ferrissta...013-14/schedule

They did win some big games against huge competition.

Michigan Tech, Wayne St, Walsh, Lake Erie....I mean with a schedule like theirs, sign them up against Florida State. :silly:

Again, I based it on the few games I saw of theirs and the few I saw of UND. How Massey comes up with his numbers is his business but they're usually *fairly* accurate to gauge competition with especially after the season is over and the connections are done.

Is it perfect? Hell no. If it were there was no way NDSU would have beaten KSU to start the year.

Again, I based it on the few games I saw of theirs and the few I saw of UND. How Massey comes up with his numbers is his business but they're usually *fairly* accurate to gauge competition with especially after the season is over and the connections are done.

Is it perfect? Hell no. If it were there was no way NDSU would have beaten KSU to start the year.

What I love is Bison fans made fun of all the non DI teams UND played during transition and in 2012, but then they play one and pump them out to be the best team since Bama to play. You guys sure give us a good laugh. So if you guys are stuck playing St Cloud this year you are going to say they can take us down too? Again too funny!!

I spoke with a friend of mine (D-II) that coached against Rudolph many times. He told me that Rudolph is a great selection for UND.

"Elated"? "Horrible coach"? To me that sounds like a parent/s that didn't agree with how much playing time their kid was getting. I seriously doubt Bubba would pick a "horrible coach" to be his OC.

It sounds to me like an SU fan trying to rip what is happening in GF!!

What I love is Bison fans made fun of all the non DI teams UND played during transition and in 2012, but then they play one and pump them out to be the best team since Bama to play. You guys sure give us a good laugh. So if you guys are stuck playing St Cloud this year you are going to say they can take us down too? Again too funny!!

As you know Darrell, it was one of your conference mates that pussed out and didn't WANT to play us (I don't care what MSU says contrary). I truly felt that Ferris state was a good team. Good enough to win regularly in the MVFC/CAA? No. Probably not, but very well coached and played good ball.... good enough to beat UND.

As for St Cloud State, I honestly don't know. I haven't watched them play in years so I can't speculate. I have watched a fair amount of UND though. Enough to know that you guys were BAD this year. Yes, you scored a bunch of points against SDSU (hats off to you for doing so) but I don't really think SDSU is the cream of the crop for defense in the MVFC (yes, I know... held NDSU to 21 points). Back to my point: If we somehow end up with St Cloud St on our schedule I'll give you my assessment at the end of that season.

FWIW, I HOPE you guys get back to what you once were. Get back to winning games, back to having a defense. This year will be telling, not in the amount of wins/losses, but how the team comes together. I think Bubba can/will get his team together eventually, but who knows how long it will take. It MIGHT happen quick, it might take a while.

Since this is an expectations thread I'll go with 3-4 wins against the bottom feeders and maybe 1 or 2 wins over better competition.

FWIW, I HOPE you guys get back to what you once were. Get back to winning games, back to having a defense. This year will be telling, not in the amount of wins/losses, but how the team comes together. I think Bubba can/will get his team together eventually, but who knows how long it will take. It MIGHT happen quick, it might take a while.

Since this is an expectations thread I'll go with 3-4 wins against the bottom feeders and maybe 1 or 2 wins over better competition.

Sports in North Dakota just isn't the same without two strong college FB programs.

As you know Darrell, it was one of your conference mates that pussed out and didn't WANT to play us (I don't care what MSU says contrary). I truly felt that Ferris state was a good team. Good enough to win regularly in the MVFC/CAA? No. Probably not, but very well coached and played good ball.... good enough to beat UND.

As for St Cloud State, I honestly don't know. I haven't watched them play in years so I can't speculate. I have watched a fair amount of UND though. Enough to know that you guys were BAD this year. Yes, you scored a bunch of points against SDSU (hats off to you for doing so) but I don't really think SDSU is the cream of the crop for defense in the MVFC (yes, I know... held NDSU to 21 points). Back to my point: If we somehow end up with St Cloud St on our schedule I'll give you my assessment at the end of that season.

I know you guys played FSU because MSU pussed out it happens, but when UND played Sioux Falls, Black Hills St SDSoM, etc you guys thought no big deal those schools are like HS teams, now because of MSU you are forced to play Ferris and you guys pumped them up so much on BV you made them sound like a DI team. UND didn't have a great team but i am sure they can handle a DII team even though your basis is 3 whole games. I mean 3 games? Which 3 did you see...the 3 UND got blown out, the 3 UND won or a mixture?

Because und was not good in their own division this year.

UND lost to 8 DI teams (5 of them ranked) ferris lost to 2 DII teams I think there is a difference.

So if you are not good in your division you are bound to get beat by a DII team...good think Ferris didn't play you guys in 2009 right.

A few of their games? How many Ferris St games did you realistically watch outside of the NDSU one? My guess is zero.

Massey's (and other's) ratings are especially flawed for inter-division comparisons when there isn't enough games between the divisions to correctly and fully make the connections.

• Upvote 1

A few of their games? How many Ferris St games did you realistically watch outside of the NDSU one? My guess is zero.

Massey's (and other's) ratings are especially flawed for inter-division comparisons when there isn't enough games between the divisions to correctly and fully make the connections.

He must think we rank up there with Michigan Tech or Northern Michigan.

Don't read more into what I believe than is there. I listed what I would use as selling points for kids. Playing at Big Sky locations is more attractive to me than many other FCS schools. The AC's recent success is a factor in their favor. Most athlete's and coaches will choose to consider the AC based on that factor alone. That is their advantage. Once kids are on campus we show them other factors that neutralize the advantage the AC starts with. Why have they had more recent success? They upgraded their weight room and locker room facilities before we did. They moved to fcs before we did. By the time this years recruits are Soph we can neutralize their advantage. The recruits can connect to players and coaches on their visit. As long as thenschool, facilities and schedule arenattractive, those connections trump past history. Your frustrations are similar to other Sioux fans and you make some good points. To be successful you must believe in your organization and your people. Then you convince others to believe. My position coach, Gene Murphy once convinced a recruit's Mom they were going to build a new highway between MSP and GF that would make trip to GF shorter than MSP to Fargo. Once you get those recruits here you convince them they can do things they didn't even consider they were capable of.

Believe it or not Ira, most kids looking to play football are phy ed, business, science, engineering majors, etc. They can get a quality education and degree at NDSU just as well as at UND. Even if they want to be doctors or dentists, they can get a biology or zoology under grad degree and get into med school after their playing days are over. If you think employers in the Fargo or Twin Cities areas look at grads from UND as better than NDSU you are delusional.

What are the advantages at UND over NDSU when kids get on campus? There is no atmosphere at football games, there has been very limited fan support, not a lot of media exposure. What is it? the big quonset they play in? The city of Grand Forks? The Red Pepper? I would like to know.

Tim Polasek came back to NDSU this year after being at Northern Illinois. He said he has been all around the MAC and nobody, including Northern Illinois has the facilities, atmosphere and support that NDSU has.

UND can offer immediate playing time right now, and that is about the only advantage they have, unless you have someone that wants to be a pilot or air traffic controller.

What are the advantages at UND over NDSU when kids get on campus? There is no atmosphere at football games, there has been very limited fan support, not a lot of media exposure. What is it? the big quonset they play in? The city of Grand Forks? The Red Pepper? I would like to know.

You probably have your tickets to Frisco for 2015 all lined up already. :silly: Based on your comments, we should just fold the program and give up. In the words of former President George H.W. Bush, "Not gonna happen". :glare:

The atmosphere at the Alerus Center is bad right now because the team is bad and it hasn't looked good in years. But from 2001-2005, there probably wasn't a tougher place to play in all of Division II. Ask Grand Valley State what it was like. Ask UC-Davis. Ask North Alabama. The student section was packed and everyone else chipped in and made it really tough on opposing teams. Obviously there is a lot of work to do to get back to that point, but it's been done before and it will be done again. Bubba Ball is here. You have been warned. :p

• Upvote 2

Believe it or not Ira, most kids looking to play football are phy ed, business, science, engineering majors, etc. They can get a quality education and degree at NDSU just as well as at UND. Even if they want to be doctors or dentists, they can get a biology or zoology under grad degree and get into med school after their playing days are over. If you think employers in the Fargo or Twin Cities areas look at grads from UND as better than NDSU you are delusional.

Tim Polasek came back to NDSU this year after being at Northern Illinois. He said he has been all around the MAC and nobody, including Northern Illinois has the facilities, atmosphere and support that NDSU has.

UND can offer immediate playing time right now, and that is about the only advantage they have, unless you have someone that wants to be a pilot or air traffic controller.

Wow, Moo U really thinks that have everything. The campus is a joke compared to UND. Our facilities across the board (Alerus, Betty, Ralph) are better (coming soon IPF). Our medical, law and aviation schools are well respected across the region if not the country.

The fact is, most kids that come to play football are looking to get a education, hence "student athlete". Maybe the Ag school should focus more on recruiting athletes that aren't getting arrested and can stay eligable. Then again, maybe businesses are excited to hire those with a national championship ring and a criminal record? Personally, I would rather my son keep his dignity while attending a real University, than to send him to a dairy farm and leave with parole.

• Upvote 3