SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach?

Cratter

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach is simple support your players and your new coaching staff. So much negativity from so call SIOUX Fans....Enjoy the moment and hopefully next season. Give them time to build the program and the players.

AMEN!!!

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach is simple support your players and your new coaching staff. So much negativity from so call SIOUX Fans....Enjoy the moment and hopefully next season. Give them time to build the program and the players.

An excellent 7th post, #84!!

Welcome to the board!

I've been thinking about this for a while now and feel that 6-6 should be the worst we go next year along with ZERO blowouts. The first couple games will set the tone for the entire year and let's hope it's good. We absolutely need to get to be a playoff caliber team in 2 years OR ELSE.

I've been thinking about this for a while now and feel that 6-6 should be the worst we go next year along with ZERO blowouts. The first couple games will set the tone for the entire year and let's hope it's good. We absolutely need to get to be a playoff caliber team in 2 years OR ELSE.

That's too extreme in my opinion. I do agree that this team will be improved next season, though, due to better quarterback play, a running game presence, disciplined defense, and improved coaching/leadership. I'd go with 4 or 5 wins, but 6 is possible.

• Upvote 1

I was speaking yesterday with 2 friends that are former college coaches and they both believe that UND now has a better staff than NDSU. They also believe UND football will become the more dominant program over the next 4-5 years. I even tried to play devils advocate in the discussion, but was stopped abruptly with reasons for the shift in power.

Really?? I don't post often but this is an idiotic statemnt.

Their HC is one of the best DC in the FCS. Bohl wanted him BAD!! Was very pissed he didn't go to WYO. Their new OC knows the FCS very well and is a great recruiter. Randy is a very good coach(look at SIU QB's when he has been there) Did a great job at St. Cloud State. Their new DC is held in high regards with the new HC which should tell you something. The remaining coach's from what I've been told are also very good.

And we are better why????

How about when our coach's have the success that theirs have had we can make a claim. I would bet against it though...

Honestly....if I am a current HS senior and am recruited by both schools the choice is no brainer....seriously!!!! For us not to get that floors me.

Its going to take us quite awhile to even get close to their level....And a lot of us act like this is going to happen overnight.

Su has raised the bar to a level that IMHO is unattainable at UND...

People on here think they are going to be bad next year..what planet do you people live on??? They have been getting the best recruits for the past three years in the area....plus they have a ton of very good players coming back.... Plus a great coaching staff....I think they will be OK..lol

we have a long, long way to go...am I excited for the new staff? Absolutely!!!! but lets keep things in perspective..

• Upvote 1

Their HC is one of the best DC in the FCS. Bohl wanted him BAD!! Was very pissed he didn't go to WYO. Their new OC knows the FCS very well and is a great recruiter. Randy is a very good coach(look at SIU QB's when he has been there) Did a great job at St. Cloud State. Their new DC is held in high regards with the new HC which should tell you something. The remaining coach's from what I've been told are also very good.

And we are better why????

How about when our coach's have the success that theirs have had we can make a claim. I would bet against it though...

Honestly....if I am a current HS senior and am recruited by both schools the choice is no brainer....seriously!!!! For us not to get that floors me.

Its going to take us quite awhile to even get close to their level....And a lot of us act like this is going to happen overnight.

People on here think they are going to be bad next year..what planet do you people live on??? They have been getting the best recruits for the past three years in the area....plus they have a ton of very good players coming back.... Plus a great coaching staff....I think they will be OK..lol

we have a long, long way to go...am I excited for the new staff? Absolutely!!!! but lets keep things in perspective..

Predicting how next season is gonna go is idiotic. Let's wait and see what the new staff comes up with in the first year. Year one will give us a solid idea what this regime will be like, even if our record is poor. Same goes for NDSU - next year will definitely be different for them.

I think that's quite optimistic personally. 6 wins can be attainable, but it would be very best case scenario IMO. Nothing between 3 and 6 wins would really surprise me either way. As of today, the only games I'd feel real confident about are Robert Morris, Weber, and Northern Colorado. We'll know a lot more one way or the other after spring ball.

UND needs 1 OOC game in 2015 and our schedule is full for the next 3 seasons. (2014-2016). NDSU will be begging UND for a game cause their schedule will be full of the likes of Ferris State.

NDSU isn't going to be begging UND for anything. NDSU will do it their way, without UND, like they've been doing it for the past several years (which has worked out for them quite nicely). Or, if Taylor ever changes his mind and decides he wants to schedule UND, he won't have to beg.

And we are better why? ???

Meh. Both coaching staffs have a lot to prove and obviously NDSU's staff is starting from a much better spot, but that also means less room for error. Neither of the new head coaches has a stellar record as a head coach (23-22 for Bubba, 3-7 for Klieman, both at a lower level). UND's new OC has spent many years as an OC and HC, calling the plays for alot of that, but never above the D-II level. NDSU's new OC is apparently a great recruiter and young, but has never been an offensive coordinator or called plays. Same for UND's new DC. NDSU's new DC has a little experience in the same position at both WIU and UNI. Not sure any of that means a whole lot, but it is what it is.

Polasek has never been a coordinator before, never called plays. Entz has been a defensive coordinator for one year at FCS level. Hedberg - meh. We know how he is. Think about it for a minute - find it funny that Bubba didn't ask him to come to UND? I know he didn't.

Their staff just took a fairly big dip, IMO. Will they be good, sure. But they are bringing in the same level of experience that UND is. Hell, Kleiman was a head coach for one year total at DIII.

NDSU will have more talent on the field next year relative to UND - that much we can be sure of. However, both coaching staffs are a toss up in terms of relativity. We won't know which coaching staff is superior for a couple seasons, when we can compare both records and recruiting classes.

NDSU will have more talent on the field next year relative to UND - that much we can be sure of. However, both coaching staffs are a toss up in terms of relativity. We won't know which coaching staff is superior for a couple seasons, when we can compare both records and recruiting classes.

The cupboard is going to be damn near empty for UND next year. People need to realize it. The difference between the two rosters is enormous.

• Upvote 1

The cupboard is going to be damn near empty for UND next year. People need to realize it. The difference between the two rosters is enormous.

How can you say that when we don't know what the roster for next year is yet? There's going to be more players leaving and certainly some additions. Let's just wait until after spring ball before we start declaring the cupboard is empty.

How can you say that when we don't know what the roster for next year is yet? There's going to be more players leaving and certainly some additions. Let's just wait until after spring ball before we start declaring the cupboard is empty.

We'll see. I stand by what I said. They were 3-8 last year and lost a ton of players. I was OK with some of the defections but there gets to be a point where you need some experience on the field. You cannot start the season with 15 new guys-some them being true freshman/Juco's, and expect good results. As it sits right now, the cupboard is bare.

How much does DI hockey help or hurt DI football at UND? Obviously, dollars go to hockey. How much harder is it for UND to compete in football then our neighbors to the South?

It's not the hockey - We have all of the football resources we need. In my opinion our neighbors to the south have a much less tolerance for mediocrity both from their fans and administration than we do. Bohl has two 10-1 seasons during transition including signature wins and one 3-8 year and there are screams for his head. They demand winners and are willing to hire from anywhere to get them. Contrast that with us and Muss - when I suggested that he might not be the guy to take us where we needed to go a couple of years ago I was jumped on immediately as not being supportive. How long would Muss have lasted in Fargo - especially after the Sioux Falls fiasco - With player defections it looks like the great Muss experiment will cost us at least 8-9 years of mediocrity. I think many of their fans are obnoxious, but they insist on a winner and are willing to do what it takes. The only way hockey hurts football is that we are willing to put up with much more from the football program because we always have hockey. It isn't resources.

• Upvote 4

How much does DI hockey help or hurt DI football at UND? Obviously, dollars go to hockey. How much harder is it for UND to compete in football then our neighbors to the South?

In 2001 UND lost the NC game in hockey but won a NC in football. It all depends on coaching and the players not hockey.

• Upvote 3

I think that's quite optimistic personally. 6 wins can be attainable, but it would be very best case scenario IMO. Nothing between 3 and 6 wins would really surprise me either way. As of today, the only games I'd feel real confident about are Robert Morris, Weber, and Northern Colorado. We'll know a lot more one way or the other after spring ball.

But 3 or 4 wins means we are basically as bad as this year, and I think we will struggle more in 2015 because of this years recruiting bust. I hope you are wrong, because for 3 or 4 wins we could just as well have kept Muss.

But 3 or 4 wins means we are basically as bad as this year, and I think we will struggle more in 2015 because of this years recruiting bust. I hope you are wrong, because for 3 or 4 wins we could just as well have kept Muss.

If you feel this way, then you are saying that the new staff was as much or more talent to work with as they did this past year and I don't think that will be the case. The staff will do a great job with what they have to work with and I think they will even put together a decent recruiting class, but it will take a couple of years to get over .500.

Ferris state would have crushed UND this year (they were a good d2 program). But we were kinda forced to play them after Montana state chickened out.

Based on what, your inflated opinion of teams that were on NDSU's schedule? How would Ferris State have done against SDSU?