SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Minnesota Morris

sioux24/7

I initially wanted Hooker to redshirt, but upon further consideration, I say we go all in this year. If he's as good as all the hype suggests, he can only make the team better regardless of how limited his role is. High expectations this season. Might as well push it to the limit. The best players play..........

Just a 1st half observation. Hooker looks to me that he belongs. Both he and Antwi have looked good in the first half. If they develop, we are going to have really deep backcourt. Nash, very athletic. We look like we need to work on our defensive blocking out on rebounds. I think our guys are trying to utilize their athletic advantage on Morris' misses as opposed to getting a body on somebody and sealing out the area around the rim.

As expected Schuler is out for this game but Traylor is also out for reasons I'm not sure. Hooker is playing and not red shirting.

I realize they play two separate positions but I wonder if Hooker playing might also mean that we expect Stefan not to be eligible this year.

Wonder if UND is playing small ball because of the opponent or if it is something we will be seeing a lot of this year. Lack of production from the bigs concerns me, hopefully they work on it a little bit the 2nd half.

Antwi shooting very well. Sounds like he spent a lot of time in the gym in the offseason.

Based on this I would put Nash at post. Start Webb, Anderson, Huff, Schuler and Nash. Play small with our best and run fast. If Traylor plays then have him back up Nash so we would have at least 2 players that play down low. This really shows how strong we will be at guards and no bigs without Brekke. This game only shows our weakness and nothing else playing against not better than a good high school team.

I'm starting to come around about Hooker playing this year. He will definitely contribute this year but it gets him some experience with these guys because he's going to have to step up big next year. Will be a lot easier to do with a full season under his belt rather than sitting on the bench redshirting.

I'm not concerned about this team's offense. With Hooker not redshirting and Nash being every bit as athletic as advertised (along with having Huff, Anderson, and Webb), this team will be able to put up points night in and night out.

My main concern is the front court defense. Defensive rebounding should've been better tonight. Wisconsin and NDSU will definitely test UND in this area.

I'm hoping Alonzo Traylor was simply serving a one-game suspension as Schuler was. He definitely will be counted on playing big minutes after what I saw from Calceterra and Salmonson.

As much as I can take from a game against a D3 school

Positives:

-Nash: If we can get that from him on a nightly basis, that is going to be huge out of our backcourt.

-Huff and Anderson: Left off right back where they were last year.

-Felt they did a good job adjusting to the new rules, didn't get called a lot with the hand check and saw lots of good sound D

-Hooker looked awesome, but still need to see him in actual d-1 competition to fully judge him, but I thought he looked like he belonged him his drives. If he can keep this up however, Jones looks like a pure genius

Negatives:

Calcaterra/Salmonson: UGH! That is not what I wanted to see. You guys are 5 inches taller than the tallest player on Morris, I expected much more from these guys. Calcaterrra looked PATHETIC!

Free throws: Hoping that this was just an aberration, but we can't shoot 64%. Have to be at least around 75% as a team

Things I am not ready to buy yet:

Hooker- see explaination

Antwi- I've seen this before, against inferior completion Antwi lights it up. I wanna see this in an actual game!!!! If he repeats this against Wisco and NDSU I will shut up about it, but until then I can't commit to Antwi. That being said, it did seem like it was different, but like Hooker, need more a sample size.

Overall: About what I expected, a drubbing. I agree that it might be a 4 guard and Nash lineup for times. If Antwi and Hooker show that their play is going to be this all year, its going to make a already dangerous backcourt even more lethal. And if the NCAA happens to have a heart, we might be all giving thanks by getting Stepan... OMG! That is a nasty backcourt right there... EVEN Dustin H didn't look to bad.

Salmonson and Calcaterra: Step your games up. Calcaterra especially.

On to Wisco!

• Upvote 1