SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Minnesota Morris

sioux24/7

Probably one of the most anticipated seasons in UND Men's Basketball history will start tomorrow. UND (0-0) will take on Minnesota Morris (0-0) at the Betty at 7 pm. I will be there and am very excited to see the new players. I could be wrong but I believe since it is an exhibition game that Quinton Hooker can play even if they do decide to redshirt him. I am not sure if someone like Estan Tyler would be able to play though.

Probably one of the most anticipated seasons in UND Men's Basketball history will start tomorrow. UND (0-0) will take on Minnesota Morris (0-0) at the Betty at 7 pm. I will be there and am very excited to see the new players. I could be wrong but I believe since it is an exhibition game that Quinton Hooker can play even if they do decide to redshirt him. I am not sure if someone like Estan Tyler would be able to play though.

Its a non-conference game, not an exhibition.

Predicted Starting Line up

Webb

Anderson

Huff

Nash

Salmonson

UND wins by about 30. I am curious about how the new point of emphasis on officiating will work out for the team.

Other predictions:

1) Troy Huff throws down a highlight reel dunk and puts up a 20-10 game with 4 dimes

2) Jamal Webb gets 5 steals and runs an efficient offense

3) Aaron Anderson knocks in a solid 15 points and 8 dimes

4) Quinton Hooker plays 15 minutes

5) Frontcourt plays well, but still not enough to answer important questions

I am thinking they will start:

Webb

Anderson

Huff

Nash

Traylor

I could see Schuler starting too. It is really tough without Brekke because I don't see Salmonson or Calcaterra as starters at this time.

I also see this being the lineup. One change on everyone's prediction is due to Faisons new policy that is effecting every sport this year with one game suspensions one key player will be watching this game in street clothes( Schuler). Good thing its against a team that we should easily beat, back in uniform for Wisconsin. Faison trying to make an example of players in every sport this year with his new policy.

Seems like everyone is assuming Hooker isn't redshirting. This hasn't been announced anywhere yet has it? Just making sure I'm not missing out on something.

Still thinking it is a mistake to not red-shirt Hooker. Everything I have heard is that he is not ready and that since he has been here he has struggled. Yeah maybe he had a descent scrimmage game but that was only one day of months of open gym and practices. I think part of what the coaches are afraid of is this new foul rule. Seems every game I have watched so far teams are going to third string players in most all positions. We truly would have 4 point guards if Hooker played but if Webb and Anderson get into early foul trouble then Hooker may need to play. But once we get into league play and players become accustomed to what they can and can't do this his minutes could go way down cause Anderson and Webb play 30+ minutes a game. I guess either him or Antwi will lose the minutes at that point. Maybe he will turn it around once he starts playing who knows but the minutes will still be limited behind our current guards and is it worth those few minutes to lose an entire season.

I also see this being the lineup. One change on everyone's prediction is due to Faisons new policy that is effecting every sport this year with one game suspensions one key player will be watching this game in street clothes( Schuler). Good thing its against a team that we should easily beat, back in uniform for Wisconsin. Faison trying to make an example of players in every sport this year with his new policy.

What new policy?

What new policy?

Been discussed on other threads. Not sure exactly but something to do with dropping a class and attendance and if this occurs 3 times over your four years a one game suspension is automatic. The thing is with basketball these players are gone for at least 3 school days every other week. When they go to play Butler this year they will miss Monday thru Thursday the following week because they play Butler on Sunday and Bowling Green on Wednesday and come back on Thursday. There are professors that don't care if you play for the university and if you are not there for a pop quiz or exam they do not allow you to make it up , I've heard this many times and there is nothing the administration does to help the players. They drop a class or say screw it because of this and the athletics dept. gives them a warning.. It also takes scholarship money from them so it's a way the athletic administration is recouping money. I'm not even sure the players or coaching staff was aware of this until all these suspensions have been handed out this year. Read this I believe on the football or hockey forum. Got nothing to do with GPA or anything else. When I was in school all that mattered was that you passed and that was a good thing.

Been discussed on other threads. Not sure exactly but something to do with dropping a class and attendance and if this occurs 3 times over your four years a one game suspension is automatic. The thing is with basketball these players are gone for at least 3 school days every other week. When they go to play Butler this year they will miss Monday thru Thursday the following week because they play Butler on Sunday and Bowling Green on Wednesday and come back on Thursday. There are professors that don't care if you play for the university and if you are not there for a pop quiz or exam they do not allow you to make it up , I've heard this many times and there is nothing the administration does to help the players. They drop a class or say screw it because of this and the athletics dept. gives them a warning.. It also takes scholarship money from them so it's a way the athletic administration is recouping money. I'm not even sure the players or coaching staff was aware of this until all these suspensions have been handed out this year. Read this I believe on the football or hockey forum. Got nothing to do with GPA or anything else. When I was in school all that mattered was that you passed and that was a good thing.

Thanks; wasn't aware of that.

I guess I haven't heard much about Hooker not being ready to go. While I agree that his playing time may be limited due to the number of guards we have. But depth is a key aspect in winning games. Sure we have our stud Seniors who have played tons of minutes since they were freshman. But every team needs depth. Especially if we are to compete for a Big Sky title. Just think of what a great asset he would be coming off the bench!! I think they should play him right away and use him. This year is one of the most anticipated years I can remember for mens basketball at UND. If we are gonna make a run at making it to the Big Dance, we will need the depth Hooker provides to win games late in the game. I guess we will find out tonight!!

• Upvote 1

I guess I haven't heard much about Hooker not being ready to go. While I agree that his playing time may be limited due to the number of guards we have. But depth is a key aspect in winning games. Sure we have our stud Seniors who have played tons of minutes since they were freshman. But every team needs depth. Especially if we are to compete for a Big Sky title. Just think of what a great asset he would be coming off the bench!! I think they should play him right away and use him. This year is one of the most anticipated years I can remember for mens basketball at UND. If we are gonna make a run at making it to the Big Dance, we will need the depth Hooker provides to win games late in the game. I guess we will find out tonight!!

Tonight's game really should not provide us with much to be honest. We should win big and almost everyone should contribute big and everyone will probably play that is dressed. The following 7 games will provide us with what to expect from all the new faces before we start league play and by then it will be determined who gets the minutes and if a mistake was made. Hopefully everything will work out just like everyone wants. Missing Brekke's experience and talent will be huge as for the past several years our weakness has been no depth at the post position and we start this year with no experience and an unknown depth. That's what worries me as the 1,2 and 3 positions are as good as anybody in the Big Sky.

What are the new Foul rules?

Whoever has the ball you can't put a hand or forearm on them and any bump of a guard when driving is also suppose to be a foul. Games so far this year are taking 30+ minutes longer due to all the free throws being shot. One game I saw both teams shot over 50 free throws each. Many players fouling out each game.

Whoever has the ball you can't put a hand or forearm on them and any bump of a guard when driving is also suppose to be a foul. Games so far this year are taking 30+ minutes longer due to all the free throws being shot. One game I saw both teams shot over 50 free throws each. Many players fouling out each game.

Seton Hall I believe had a game with 100+ free throws and 73 fouls or something.