SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT at Arizona's flagship university

geaux_sioux

You realize the SoCon is complete dogsh*t now, right? And the CAA has been down for 2-3 years now, bunch of pretty good programs but no Top 5 teams.

If you want to explain your post I would like to know what you meant, maybe I missed the point?

the point was that every league looks like crap when you take out its best team. the MVFC looks as crappy without ndsu as the big sky does without montana or ewu

ODU was a top 5 team and semi finalist last year

You obviously don't follow FCS football all that closely, huh?

yes the socon is going to start looking alot worse after this year. Probably the 5th of even 6th best conference if scholarships lift the level of play of the patriot. But we were talking about past playoff records, weren't we.

Just finished watching the game and I am all for Bartels being the starter. Looked good and I'm sure can be just as good as Mollberg has the potential to be if not better. Also anyone notice our lineman throw up on our third TD drive? I'm sure it happens quite a bit but that's the first time I have seen it.

I agree. Really liked his decisions. However, Joe admittedly looks far worse because we've seen so much more of his performances on film. I'd like to see Bartels start from here out and get a better sample size.

I agree. Really liked his decisions. However, Joe admittedly looks far worse because we've seen so much more of his performances on film. I'd like to see Bartels start from here out and get a better sample size.

I'd say the switches to the O-line helped out too, seemed liked there was a little more time in the pocket, though there was still too much pressure. I don't think either guy has come close to separating himself.

It isn't fair to judge either of these guys this year. Both have made similar mistakes. Bartels moved the team last week but still threw 2 ints and should have had a 3rd in the 1st half when he threw to 2 defenders who fought over it and neither got it. He also fumbled again but it bounced back up into his hands. He seemed to get to his reads quicker when he had time. They have both had good moments and both struggled. I don' t think Bartels would have been able to take the physical punishment Mollberg did in the previous games where he had no protection. Joe didn't have much of a chance at UNA and Bartels didn't have any chance in the previous 4-5 games. IF Bartels isn't the starter I believe he will leave. Mollberg will battle for the job but isn't going to spend 3 years on the bench. Don't blame either of them. I would play both of them the rest of the year because they both need to be evaluated.

Arm strength is the most over rated measurable of a QB IMHO. Can't begin to count the number of failed NFL QBs that could throw it on a rope a country mile.

Arm strength is less important than your read. If you find your are underthrowing the deep ball, don't hold it so long. You release it more quickly, the receiver runs under it. If his speedy receivers are getting too far out in front of him on a 7 step, that's the adjustment he needs to make.

*disclaimer: this advice was not my idea. its been coached that way a long time.

• Upvote 1

Both dont need to play the rest of the year. Bartles needs to play the rest of the year which is a whopping two games. We have already seen what Molberg can do....and then Bartles came in and set a UND record.

Bartels also got a lot better after sitting. The same could happen to Mollberg. It's good for both of them to get some humble pie to fuel them to improve instead of either of them being handed the job.

The more pressing issue for Bartels is arm strength. It can be improved to a point. For the most part though it's genetic. He could play a lot of tennis in the summer to strengthen his arm.

Yeah, his arm strength really made him struggle in setting a record Joe's huge arm couldn't match. I get you like Joe (or think he's better or whatever) but Ryan has performed well. His "lack of mobility" didn't affect things a whole lot last weekend. But of course that was because of the new offensive line and not because he got rid of the ball quicker than Joe can.

Yeah, his arm strength really made him struggle in setting a record Joe's huge arm couldn't match. I get you like Joe (or think he's better or whatever) but Ryan has performed well. His "lack of mobility" didn't affect things a whole lot last weekend. But of course that was because of the new offensive line and not because he got rid of the ball quicker than Joe can.

Bartels actually showed good mobility on several occasions last week