SiouxSports.com Forum

What's in the cupboard?

geaux_sioux

We are looking at this from the wrong perspective. Look at each position, and evaluate him against the all conference player at his position.

There's your bar.

The guys currently on the roster had better pack a lunch because there's A LOT of work to do to meet those expectations.

The biggest deficiency is the offensive line. It seems they can't pass protect, and they can't run block. It would be preferable to have an O-Line that could at least do one or the other, if not both...................

There is no depth on the line. Back-ups that have had to play can't quite seem to get it and some of the starters that are playing are doing so and are obviously playing injured and because of it, getting beat over and over. Jake and Jer need to be able to get to the second level if they are going to be successful. Mollberg and his WR need at least a little time to let a play develop to get a catchable ball thrown and caught. Neither of those is happening. The plays that seem to have success are when our 240 lb WR takes a snap and runs straight ahead, giving the defense no time to penetrate.

Sorry I _I_n't realize those guys were re_shirting. As a Vikes fan, I'm sickene_ by the name Walker. We built the _allas _ynasty by ourselves. To a__ insult to injury, he resigne_ with _allas to en_ his career!!!

_own with the _allas Cowboys _ynasty!!!

Wow.

You look like a star pupil in the keyboarding class in the College of Home Economics at the University of Agriculture and Applied Science.

Yay you!

So let's say Mussman gets canned after the season. Obviously Faison can make a mean sales pitch with the facilities and the coming upgrades. But what caliber of pitch can be made in terms of talent on the team that will return?

Offense.

-There appear to be a few fr hogs that could be special (Miller, Stockwell, and Bell). Anderson is a very good play and could slide out to tackle if he has to. Walker has been pretty inconsistent at center and had a rough game against Sac St but has been pretty solid at times.

-WR is obviously stocked full of talent and Carr and McGill will add to the depth next year in the absence of Hardin.

-At RB we will have Garmin Shaugs Sparks Varner and Sharp. None of these players has had enough carries for us to truly know what they have. Sharp, however, seems to be a different breed than the others. This young man has the look of a RB, he's got Hershal Walker type traps and very broad shoulders. He was close to getting his shirt pulled in fall camp but didn't more so because they had alot of backs without him than because he wasn't good enough. We still could use a 230lb power back to pound the rock though.

-At QB we have two highly recruited rfr and an athletic rather unknown fr. These guys need to be developed. It really hurt to lose Riddle, I thought he could have been something special.

-At FB we have a super athletic fr that can block run and catch.

-Who knows what we have at TE they don't see the ball. They can block but we don't spend a whole lot of time in jumbo sets unless we're at the goal line.

Defense.

-The DL has a few really talented young players. Edwards is a monster who will get better and more consistent. Cheatom has been pretty good in spots but is still pretty green. Cary came into camp injured and from what I hear was the top candidate for getting his shirt pulled before his injury. Carrothers is a guy I really like, he has a great motor and attitude.

-At LB there are some promising young talents that need to get experience and be developed. Rich Labat Wharton Ratelle Norberg Idowu and Beard are all very athletic and big players that are legit D1 talents. This could form a very good LB corps if developed properly.

-The secondary has two young stud safeties in Kuksa and Reyes. CB is a huge weakness on this team Brown has digressed as the season has gone on and other than him maybe Konowalski can be a good player but the other CBs just aren't good.

So for an incoming coach it's not as if there is nothing to work with. There are weaknesses obviously, which would need to be addressed, but there is plenty of talent in the younger players. Enough to snag a really good coach? We'll see I guess.

This has to be muss.

I've been reading this forum for the past few weeks and it seems that alot of changes need to be made. Start with personnel...

Offense

Qb: why doesn't bartles get a chance to play a full game. Mollberg hasn't been getting the job done.

Rb: sure Jake miller has speed, but he showed he cannot pass protect and lacks the ability to break tackles. Has sparks seen the field at all this season? Varner shows good speed also. Maybe they lack the vision

Ol: what should have been one of the stronger parts of this team has shown multiple flaws. Can't control LOS and can't stop a 4 man rush. Why not try Barton at tackle? Joe Kleason was a guard before his Injury last season...wouldn't hurt to try. Walker has had multiple penalties past few games that cost points. Is Hoerchner much worse?

Te: Adler is only one I've noticed in games. Don't use this position enough

Wr: for all the hype this group generated last season and before this season, not at all impressed with all American Hardin. Jackson has played hard all year however. This group needs to start making the highlight plays they are capable of making

Defense

Don't have the right guys for this scheme which is problem number 1.

Dl: soft and gets manhandled by opposing offensive line. Edwards would be best option at nose. Cummings and Stanchik play slow. Turn this into a 4 man line with Stanchik and summings at ends, Henson and Edwards at the interior

Inside lbs: Goodman flies around with no fear. Peters needs to be able to tackle better. Would be nice to see some younger guys in here

Outside lbs: Bennett has played great last few weeks and Finley is coming back from a tough injury. Idowu and hickel have improved and played like one would expect 2nd string. What about reineke or Rich??

Corners: soft play and get beat way too often. Many more issues but those are biggest

Safeties: love kuksa on the field. Kid is a missle. Carr has ups and downs but seems to know the defense. Sure would be nice to see butler in the game more often. Biggest one in the secondary and extremely athletic.

Time to give some others a chance because the guys who have been on the field Re not getting it done. Don't know how many more games I will be able to watch which kills me because I am a proud alum. Go sioux

The kids a sitting duck back there. At least Joe can protect himself. Both have proven capable of throwing bad ints.

Agree with this but am concerned that if Bartels doesn't get some playing time, he may decide to go elsewhere. Hopefully he realizes that it is likely he will eventually get his chance due to injury sometime over the next couple years. I don't remember too many years when we had the same QB start the entire season.

The wide receivers haven't lived up to their billing, because the QB can't get them the ball. The QB can't get them the ball because the O-Line can't pass protect.

While this is certainly true, Joe hasn't yet gotten over bad decisions (I swear, based on those throws he still has it in his head he is playing some small town MN team). If there is one decision making process he should have figured out by now it is that forcing a ball under pressure (and by that I mean forcing it into coverage, with a pass rush, or forcing a throw when your feet aren't set) is likely to result in a turnover and that is the worst possible of all the outcomes.

a) step up in the pocket or roll out

b) tuck and run

c) take the sack

d) throw it away

All better outcomes than a forced throw. Punting the ball is fine. That by itself won't necessarily lose you the game. Turnovers, nearly every time, will.

Anybody see Carr's tweet? @Dreamerrr9: I feel like all the fun is gone, never thought I would ever say that.

I'd imagine being a redshirt on a team that isn't winning probably isn't real fun. Hopefully he sees this as a chance for him to step in and make a huge difference next year, can see replacing Hardin on kick returns and not missing a beat plus being a very talented slot receiver.

Since the lack of offense boils down to the offensive line, why not try some new guys in there. It wouldn't hurt to shuffleguys around to new spots or try other people. Like I said, this unit is not performing well enough to ignite either a run or pass game

I thought Sioux Football Insider had a good point in their most recent blog, suggesting that Kleason be moved back to his natural position of guard, and starting Barton at tackle.

• Upvote 1

I'd imagine being a redshirt on a team that isn't winning probably isn't real fun. Hopefully he sees this as a chance for him to step in and make a huge difference next year, can see replacing Hardin on kick returns and not missing a beat plus being a very talented slot receiver.

I guess it is good that he cares but he needs to realize he is a redshirt and will never have an easier year of football in his life. No meetings, leave practice early some days, Fridays off on away games. Enjoy it and be excited for your time to shine - spring ball.

I guess it is good that he cares but he needs to realize he is a redshirt and will never have an easier year of football in his life. No meetings, leave practice early some days, Fridays off on away games. Enjoy it and be excited for your time to shine - spring ball.

My guess is he's probably frustrated because of those things. Sees that he can help on the field. But you're right, enjoy learning while you can, use it to your advantage and then when it is your time, take over and shine.

If only you knew how wrong you are...... I can only shake my head. Care to know what the schedule is like for a redshirt? It's hell.

6am fr weights mon tues thurs sun with a bonus hell workout fri morning. These are 2 hour grueling workouts where the SC coaches push them to their limits and break them down in necessary.

Then they have class. If you're in engineering or something requiring alot of tough classes this is alot to keep up with.

Position meetings. Yup, more class.

Practice. They're already sore and tired from lifting at 6am and now they have to go against the 1's ans 2's while trying to give them the best look possible.

Study table. 6 hrs a week spent in the study center.

Also they have to eat, sleep, shower, meet new friends, and become apart of the program.

Also alot of these kids are getting homesick like most college kids do which is made worse by the fact that they are not able to compete in a game for basically the first time in their young football lives.

Still think it's the easiest year? I can tell you it's not even close.

If only you knew how wrong you are...... I can only shake my head. Care to know what the schedule is like for a redshirt? It's hell.

6am fr weights mon tues thurs sun with a bonus hell workout fri morning. These are 2 hour grueling workouts where the SC coaches push them to their limits and break them down in necessary.

Then they have class. If you're in engineering or something requiring alot of tough classes this is alot to keep up with.

Position meetings. Yup, more class.

Practice. They're already sore and tired from lifting at 6am and now they have to go against the 1's ans 2's while trying to give them the best look possible.

Study table. 6 hrs a week spent in the study center.

Also they have to eat, sleep, shower, meet new friends, and become apart of the program.

Also alot of these kids are getting homesick like most college kids do which is made worse by the fact that they are not able to compete in a game for basically the first time in their young football lives.

Still think it's the easiest year? I can tell you it's not even close.

I think I know. Its the easiest year.

Since when do they go to position meetings as freshman? Do they go to special teams meetings also?