SiouxSports.com Forum

The OT Shoot-Out Rocks!

BobIwabuchiFan

I'm sure you would need the entire NCAA to buy off on a 4X4 OT, not just the NCHC. For the Pairwise, not all ties (or OT wins for that matter) would be created equal if one league were to use a 4X4 OT.

Why is that? Some leagues now have shootouts and some don't. I think Hockey East experimented with shootouts many years ago and decided not to keep them. A 4x4 OT format would be far less disruptive to continuity between leagues.

Why is that? Some leagues now have shootouts and some don't. I think Hockey East experimented with shootouts many years ago and decided not to keep them. A 4x4 OT format would be far less disruptive to continuity between leagues.

If they went to 4 on 4 ot's they should also follow the NHL for weight of an overtime win/loss. This should be used the same way across the board for NCAA teams, even though it's not through a point system.

Shootouts blow. Terrible way to end a hockey game. I'd rather they went to a 10 minute OT. If it ends in a tie, so be it.

So, I assume the next time a game goes to a shootout, you'll be leaving the game or turning off the TV once OT ends, right? It'll be a tie as far as you are concerned, right?

But, despite some leagues having shootout and some not, the result counts the same in the PWR - a tie.

In order to maintain continuity between leagues for PWR, the format of OT has to be consistent.

What if the B1G was the only league using the 4X4 OT format, and we were fighting for the last at-large bid with Minnesota? What if they were able to beat a common opponent at home in OT because they were used to playing by their league rules and not the standard 5x5 OT? What if they were able to get a PP in OT and have a 4x3 advantage instead of a 5x4?

It wouldn't be a level playing field if some leagues were to use 4x4 and others not.

So, I assume the next time a game goes to a shootout, you'll be leaving the game or turning off the TV once OT ends, right? It'll be a tie as far as you are concerned, right?

sure, something like that...I know, next time a basketball game ends in a tie, let's have a free throw shooting contest to determine the winner. Or maybe a home run derby for baseball games that go extra innings.
  • Upvote 1

sure, something like that...I know, next time a basketball game ends in a tie, let's have a free throw shooting contest to determine the winner. Or maybe a home run derby for baseball games that go extra innings.

I simply don't get this point of view. A shootout is exciting for the fans and players, and besides, it doesn't have a huge impact on the season standings. UND has averaged only 3 conference ties per season under Hakstol.

Just embrace it and enjoy it. Life is too short to be upset about whether or not a college hockey conference uses a shootout to break ties during regular season games.