SiouxSports.com Forum

The OT Shoot-Out Rocks!

BobIwabuchiFan

I simply don't get this point of view. A shootout is exciting for the fans and players, and besides, it doesn't have a huge impact on the season standings. UND has averaged only 3 conference ties per season under Hakstol.

Just embrace it and enjoy it. Life is too short to be upset about whether or not a college hockey conference uses a shootout to break ties during regular season games.

This is the problem with society right now. Everything is about "entertainment" and if it isn't "entertaining", it should be changed even if the solution is a colossal joke. And this is one prime example. And don't think for a second that some genius looking to boost TV ratings will start pushing to have shootouts in the playoffs. That would be the last straw for me and a lot of other people.

This is the problem with society right now. Everything is about "entertainment" and if it isn't "entertaining", it should be changed even if the solution is a colossal joke. And this is one prime example. And don't think for a second that some genius looking to boost TV ratings will start pushing to have shootouts in the playoffs. That would be the last straw for me and a lot of other people.

Remember that pro athletes/teams/leagues make their money is because of the entertainment factor. If they didn't provide entertainment, they'd be out of business.

I simply don't get this point of view. A shootout is exciting for the fans and players, and besides, it doesn't have a huge impact on the season standings. UND has averaged only 3 conference ties per season under Hakstol.

Just embrace it and enjoy it. Life is too short to be upset about whether or not a college hockey conference uses a shootout to break ties during regular season games.

Hey, I just don't care for it...you're certainly entitled to your viewpoint and I'll keep mine...still love the Sioux no matter what...

Remember that pro athletes/teams/leagues make their money is because of the entertainment factor. If they didn't provide entertainment, they'd be out of business.

The entertainment is watching the game of hockey being played at a high level by the best in the world. Hockey, minus obstruction holding, is one of the most entertaining sports in the world to watch. It's fast, physical and requires strength and athleticism. They also could make the nets wider and taller, which would result in more goals and more highlights on ESPN. But it would diminish the quality of the product for a few cheap thrills. Maybe I sound like a cranky old man (I'm only 39!), but that is how I feel about it.

sure, something like that...I know, next time a basketball game ends in a tie, let's have a free throw shooting contest to determine the winner. Or maybe a home run derby for baseball games that go extra innings.

Ohhhh, this ^^^ is a very good example! I was for the shootouts until my daughters soccer team went through two overtimes with no winner. (1-1) They went to a shootout. The statistics for a shootout in soccer is 100% for the shooter! One shooter for EGF hit the crossbar,game over, season over, and this was a playoff game! Soccer is in no doubt a team sport, it sure was horrible seeing all them team players being sent home after that! It also didn't do much for the sophomore that kicked the ball into the crossbar. I enjoy watching shootouts in hockey, but I no longer support them!

No ones arguing shootists for playoffs...just something better than a short five on five five minute ot during the regular season that seems to end in a tie anyways more often than not...

How about a 5 minute 4x4 then. Shoot out. Either way declare a winner.

Can you image if college football ended in a time after five minutes of ot? Why is it more acceptable for college hockey?

Sure glad that penn state vs Michigan football game didn't end in a tie....it's almost like college football has its own shoot out. Where does the offense start the opposing teams 35 yard line? Field goal range without even moving a yard!

No ones arguing shootists for playoffs...just something better than a short five on five five minute ot during the regular season that seems to end in a tie anyways more often than not...

How about a 5 minute 4x4 then. Shoot out. Either way declare a winner.

Can you image if college football ended in a time after five minutes of ot? Why is it more acceptable for college hockey?

Sure glad that penn state vs Michigan football game didn't end in a tie....it's almost like college football has its own shoot out. Where does the offense start the opposing teams 35 yard line? Field goal range without even moving a yard!

The difference I see is that in football they are still playing a team game. A shoot out is an individual skills competition. I don't believe in a team sport being decided by an individual skills competition. I would rather go with a 4 on 4 for 10 minutes, or even 4 on 4 for 5 minutes and 3 on 3 for another 5 minutes. Either one should eliminate a lot of ties while still playing a team game in a situation that is potentially possible in the regular game. Shoot outs are fun to watch, but I think they should be for exhibitions rather than used to decide games.
  • Upvote 1

But why was it more acceptable to have ties in hockey than football?

Cause hockey games took longer on average to break ties? 3x3 whatever. The college game needed/needs to eliminate more ties even in the regular season.

Don't believe baseball ends in ties either...,, home run derby would be an awesome way to end that though. I love being entertained. ;)

The difference I see is that in football they are still playing a team game. A shoot out is an individual skills competition. I don't believe in a team sport being decided by an individual skills competition. I would rather go with a 4 on 4 for 10 minutes, or even 4 on 4 for 5 minutes and 3 on 3 for another 5 minutes. Either one should eliminate a lot of ties while still playing a team game in a situation that is potentially possible in the regular game. Shoot outs are fun to watch, but I think they should be for exhibitions rather than used to decide games.

Yup...it's not exactly the same but they also change the game in ot... I guess it would be more like playing ot shorthanded (3x3 or 4x4)....like the d in football is "shorthanded" working with less yards.

The former hockey player in me says play it out until someone gets the game winning goal. No matter if its 2AM the next morning.

The fan in me that likes to see the growth of college hockey and its fanbase is okay with a shootout for its entertainment purposes. Both teams get a point, one team gets another point for winning something that adds a certain edge to the season.

If UND misses out on home ice by one point because Duluth beats CC in a shootout in March, did UND really deserve home ice? Arguments can be made both ways I guess.

But why was it more acceptable to have ties in hockey than football?

Cause hockey games took longer on average to break ties? 3x3 whatever. The college game needed/needs to eliminate more ties even in the regular season.

Don't believe baseball ends in ties either...,, home run derby would be an awesome way to end that though. I love being entertained. ;)

Baseball plays until they finish. Football and hockey can be played until they finish, also. They are in the playoffs and used to be in regular season games. The big difference is that it is more difficult to score in hockey so it usually takes longer to get that score. A decision was made at one point that the physical toll on the players playing long overtimes was a more serious problem than letting games end in a tie. Hockey is more physically demanding than baseball. This is especially true when the 2 teams play back to back games. So different criteria have been set up for overtimes and games ending in a tie depending on the league and the level of play. The only team sports I can think of that use individual skills competition to end a tie game are hockey and soccer. Do you really want hockey to follow the path of soccer?
  • Upvote 1

Hockey and soccer have a decent amount in common as it takes a long time to score. I'm not going to diss soccer as its seems to be the worlds number one sport and one of my best friends loves the sport and is even working his way up the coaching ranks in college in the twin cities.

I don't care how it ends shoot out or not, I'm just happy to not have ties anymore. And that I believe is a good thing for the sport. Otherwise to me it's like they didn't even play the game.

Hockey and soccer have a decent amount in common as it takes a long time to score. I'm not going to diss soccer as its seems to be the worlds number one sport and one of my best friends loves the sport and is even working his way up the coaching ranks in college in the twin cities.

I don't care how it ends shoot out or not, I'm just happy to not have ties anymore. And that I believe is a good thing for the sport. Otherwise to me it's like they didn't even play the game.

I would rather have the tie if that is what the teams earned. I have seen too many games where a team manages to keep the score tied even if they are outplayed, and then win the shootout. I don't think there is anything wrong with ties, they are better than losses.

I actually do think shoot-outs are fun, but I don't like significant points/standings be controlled by shoot-outs. I've not even thought through this so don't know if it's workable but would prefer if it just ended up being a tie-breaking factor. As in teams tied in points and 1 team had 4 shoot-out wins to 3 for the other, therefore the former team wins the tie-breaker.