SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I bolded the key part of your post. North Dakota often does things differently than other places.

And I think that is what everyone is getting uptight about. As others have said, it may take UND having to hire an outside Hockey HC or possibly NDSU to hire an outside Head FB coach in order for a review of the hiring policies. My only question in regards to Faison and the process, is did he consider/attempt to invoke the "Emergency hire" clause that is supposedly out there?

And I think that is what everyone is getting uptight about. As others have said, it may take UND having to hire an outside Hockey HC or possibly NDSU to hire an outside Head FB coach in order for a review of the hiring policies. My only question in regards to Faison and the process, is did he consider/attempt to invoke the "Emergency hire" clause that is supposedly out there?

I have no idea whether he did or not. My guess is that he did everything he could within the system (and that may depend on whether he has another candidate waiting in the wings that can't or won't apply at this time). But from watching the system over the years, I really doubt that there was much chance of a football coaching position being determined to be an emergency.

A question for those who believe that Mussman should have been fired in October so that applications could have been rolling in sooner... with ND's open records law, who would have applied for the job when there was a month or more left in their team's season?

Former Griz running back Beau Donaldson sentenced to 10 years for rape.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/former-griz-beau-donaldson-sentenced-to-prison-for-rape/article_1c1b49fa-5c2b-11e2-998c-001a4bcf887a.html

4 Montana football players accused of a gang rape potentially having drugged the woman; Pflugrad knows and doesn't tell his supervisors.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/um-dean-implicated-football-players-in-gang-rape-emails-reveal/article_166bb96a-a16c-11e1-8d36-001a4bcf887a.html

"But in January, UM President Royce Engstrom wrote in a draft of planned public remarks that then-Grizzlies football coach

Robin Pflugrad had disciplined some football players accused of raping a woman, but did not report the incident to his supervisors."

Quarterback Jordan Johnson acquitted of rape.

So during Plugrad's tenure at Montana one football player was convicted of rape; one was acquitted and four were accused but not charged.

However, when you take into consideration that the DOJ investigation found that the U of Montana police dealt with investigations of sexual assault so poorly that they rose to the level of a civil rights violation the fact that one player was acquitted and four weren't charged is pretty meaningless. The handling of the allegations were not conducted in a manner in which convictions could reasonably happen.

http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/spl/documents/missoulafind_5-9-13.pdf

But you know, Pflugrad is exactly who we should be bringing in as a coach at UND. An AD would have to be crazy to take that chance.

yep, dipsh1t pflugard raped all of those women, get a clue, or get off the hr committee.

You need to look into how NAIA works a wee bit deeper. Think "free-for-all".

How many championships in that free for all did Mary, Dickinson, Jamestown, Valley City, Minot, Mayville State win in the NAIA?

USF had only one in 1996...they wanted more. So they hired DeBoer and BOOM!!!

Never mind. Not worth my time or effort.

Pflugrad did not promote a culture at Montana that endorsed sexual assault. Not all of the players can be controlled at all times. Obviously supervision and guidance are important responsibilities of a head football coach, but as anyone with common sense knows, it is impossible to regulate absolutely everyone. Yes, it is true that head coaches recruit the players they want to represent their university, but unexpected circumstances arise in college athletics all the time. Some students change, sometimes unpredictability, when moving away from home and gaining more freedom at college. In the particular case of Pflugrad, the majority of the sexual assaults that allegedly occurred under his supervision were by players he did not recruit. Furthermore, he did communicate with his superiors regarding the inappropriate actions. Nevertheless, when the president found out about the instances at question, he resorted to blaming only the athletic direction and head coach (Pflugrad). That in its own right is peculiar.

Across the county, high-character, successful coaches have to deal with their players and legal troubles all the time. For example, if the late Joe Paterno were still living (and perhaps in his 60s) and applied for the job, would you not want to hire him because he has "baggage"? I realize Paterno didn't have the major legal problem with any players, but the point still remains. If Jim Tressel applied, would he have "baggage" because he was the coach of Maurice Clarett and sanctioned by the NCAA?

Pflugrad probably won't get a head coaching opportunity for quite some time, and perhaps he never will, but he definitely should not be looked at as a criminal with no regard for university compliance and academics. Even though at Montana Pflugrad had a stable athletic program on-the-field, the out-of-control off-the-field antics were too unpredictable and they ultimately cost him his job.

So in regards to Pflu, a coach gets credit for wins with players he didn't recruit but isn't accountable for those same players troubles cause he didn't recruit them.

Makes sense.

The players do not live with the coach. The coach cannot be responsible for everything the players do. If you think that is possible, you have unrealistic expectations.

Good for him, but not sure that is what we are looking for. We seem to have a dogshit program right now and I'm not hoping for mediocre.

The only dogshit program at UND is men's tennis. A good coach is a good coach but not a miracle worker, sometimes to get a good job you need to pay your dues at a less than desirable one. Think Denny Green at prairie view.