SiouxSports.com Forum

State of Und Athletics

gfhockey

I just need to vent a little bit. Mods please feel free to move this to where you sit fit.

On a scale of 1-10 how do you feel UND athletics are doing right now?

1. Our new tv contract for hockey sucks. The big ten announced there contract and they aren't exclusively with the Big ten network like we are tied by our ball sack to the CBS network. They got espnu espnews, nbc sports, fox sports etc etc.

2. We operated at a loss the lost time finacials were released.

3. Our soccer team isn't performing that good. I think they have one win?

4. The volleyball team has a losing record. Atleast attendance is actually growing though.

5. Our football team I could go on and on about it. While the Ag school to the south has the biggest college football show in town this weekend, we are getting smoked and taking days off. The gap between us could not be further right now.

6. We have no Minnesota or Wisconsin on the hockey schedule this year.

7. Our womens basketball team has been playing well below where anyone thought they would be once we transitioned. I believe this sport woulda had the easiest time transitioning.

8. We had all the cards on the table last year for womens hockey and didn't get past the first round although they did play a hell of a game in the first round.

9. UND finished last in the big sky directors cup standings last year.

10. If mens ball doesn't have a good season, I expect at least a top 3, could be a long winter.

11. We have no signature wins for BBall or football.. Closest I think is womens beating Utah last year.

12. Attendance at the Alerus is not living up to expectations either.

13. We have no nickname.

14. No more bronze boot.

15. On the bright side, the IPF is coming along nicely but as a recruit, id rather be a perennial power in the FCS then at the bottom of the Big Sky then have a indoor practice stadium.

16. Did I mention I cant wait to have to watch UND hockey online instead of on TV?

17. Maybe im just depressed as the summer is coming to an end and our football team is getting smoked?

18. Our hockey team has lost the battle of whose bigger in the state (NDSU fball)...For those who think otherwise, you are crazy.

19. The golf teams aren't getting any better even at their own meet lol. I remember in the Hay day we would smoke the bison.

20. To me it seems like NDSU athletic DEPT is approaching networks and trying to get business. Maybe its just Gene Taylor who seems to land every opportunity they get and I just don't see UND actively getting big time media attention.

21. Seems like the only big time attention we get is for our nickname

22. Sorry for ranting.

Well, I addressed this a couple of weeks ago and was basically told I didn't make any sense and had my loyalty questioned. So don't expect much love from Fighting Sioux Nation for posting this.

This brings me back to a point I have been making for several years now: If we "can't afford" to put together top-notch Division I programs, then we shouldn't have moved up in the first place.

Flame away.

Positives.

1. IPF being built. Could be a game change hopefully as the Admin says it will.

2. Hockey will be in HD this year but in a limited market and some nites wont even be on tv.

3. The Mens BBall team has a good starting rotation back this year.

4. We are only getting beat by NDSU at Kings walk like like 31 strokes.

5. Enrollment is growing.

6. Spirit Fund way over 300M.

7. Our coaches are finally starting to get paid decent.

8. Excited about Miami on the schedule this year.

9. More strip clubs in downtown minneaplois for the hockey tournament then downtown St paul.

10. We can drink at football games.

11. We can drink at hockey games (but wondering how much beer went up this year.)

12. #1 ranked hockey class coming in next year

13. Jack MIchaels doing football.

14. Getting a giant health school built.

15. Kauk hasn't got knocked down this year yet.

16. Seems like we never have recruiting violations.

There's certainly a lot to be worried about if things don't start to show signs of improvement soon. I have high hopes for the men's BB team this year as a birth in the big tournament is very possible but I worry about how far that team is going to drop after this year. I think hockey is one more year from being ready to contend for another title but it's going to be difficult to keep some of the necessary pieces from leaving early. Women's BB is awful, only thing we can say is hey at least we're better than ndsu. Volleyball continues to be a bright spot and hopefully we can hold onto the coach. Football needs a complete coaching staff overhaul. The culture of that team has steadily declined over the past 5 years. I believe there is enough talent on the team to at least be competitive, but they need a culture change and a coach that will get the best out of every player. I feel most of our programs are on the edge right now and it's a matter of whether they fall off or prove they're ready to play with the big dogs.

On a scale of 1-10 how do you feel UND athletics are doing right now?

1. Our new tv contract for hockey sucks. The big ten announced there contract and they aren't exclusively with the Big ten network like we are tied by our ball sack to the CBS network. They got espnu espnews, nbc sports, fox sports etc etc.

[...]

4. The volleyball team has a losing record. Atleast attendance is actually growing though.

[...]

6. We have no Minnesota or Wisconsin on the hockey schedule this year.

[...]

10. If mens ball doesn't have a good season, I expect at least a top 3, could be a long winter.

[...]

16. Did I mention I cant wait to have to watch UND hockey online instead of on TV?

[...]

I'll touch on the ones that stuck out to me the most...

Starting with #1, I know there are certain aspects to this TV deal that suck, but the NCHC just can't compete with the sheer size of the Big Ten Conference. That conference is huge and comes with a huge reputation behind that built on football and basketball. It could be Big Ten Foosball for all we care, and ESPN i'm sure would still line up for a couple of broadcasts.

The other part is your phrasing, "...fox sports etc etc." That is a little misleading, it sounds like you are saying it is FOX Sports 1 carrying those games when you are really just talking about FOX Sports North carrying games, which is a huge difference between a national network and a regional network. FOX Sports North has carried the gophers for a long time.

As far as the NCHC TV contract goes, it isn't UND's TV contract, it is the NCHC's TV Contract, and we had one vote just like everyone else in the matter, but that doesn't mean it can't be changed, I just know it probably won't be this year.

UND Sports' TV situation has grown (sparkly Midco HD, the quality of UND's Big Sky TV broadcasts have gone up [that football game vs. Montana, the disaster it was, looked really good], and they are apparently broadcasting soccer now). At the same time the extremities (lack of Hockey on FOX College Sports) have been hurt, but they are still on there for other sports....so that is something.

#4, It's a little soon to start casting shadows about volleyball, isn't it? I mean they aren't even a quarter way done with the season...I mean, they started the season off with 3 straight tournaments and just came out of their latest one winning the whole thing. So let's hold off on that, at least until they are half way through their schedule.

#6, i know, may be a little upsetting for this year, but you have to realize that it's not like it is going to be this way forever. Minnesota and Wisconsin will appear on the schedules again, don't worry.

#10 You are saying this like they didn't have a good season last year, they were third in the conference behind two teams that nearly went undefeated in conference play. So, settle down.

#16 Jayson has said on here before that all the hockey games that midco broadcasts in HD will also be online in HD, along with the ability to watch games on your mobile devices. Also, it literally takes two seconds to hook your computer up to your TV if you have a laptop that was designed in the past 4-5 years. So, it will be nice to watch UND on my nice big 55" screen all the way in Bismarck.

While I do think many of your concerns are valid, there are some, like these, that I view as just a knee-jerk reaction to some things that happen and happen to many schools.

Good or bad, UND athletes can bank on their fans sticking with them through the good times and the bad. Hmmmm, maybe that's why we can drink beer at some events and kool-aid at others. :bigsmile:

Whatever....my school, my teams, my support. I don't get paid to recruit, coach, or cheer. I'm there by choice. Sometimes that choice hurts and many times that choice over-joys.

GO SIOUX!!

Yeah I have bit my posting finger since sat. With all the negativity about football. I believe we abandoned the name mainly because of D1 aspirations. I said back then I'd rather keep the name & stay D2.......too bad - sad deal

Yeah I have bit my posting finger since sat. With all the negativity about football. I believe we abandoned the name mainly because of D1 aspirations. I said back then I'd rather keep the name & stay D2.......too bad - sad deal

Not sure how many times this has to be said, but D-II is still under the NCAA umbrella and we would have had to change it or continue to face sanctions. If you would have rather been stuck under sanction and in the sinking ship that is D-II, I can't help you there.

IMO, the fan base would probably not care as much about the rest of the teams, if the men's hockey and football teams were doing well. However, this years' football team is getting smoked for unreal points against. 55 points by Montana - wow.

And as for the hockey team, last year was the first time under Hakstol that they "accomplished nothing". By that, I mean they did not win the WCHA regular season, the WCHA Final Five, nor did they make the Frozen Four. Additionally, they had no "second half surge", and the result was the fewest wins in the Hakstol era. Some people tried to spin it as a good season because they had over 20 wins, but that will never be the standard at UND. Consequently, people are rightly questioning where the program is headed. With each passing year since our last national championship, the heat is going to get turned up.

Holy crap... I never realized how bad things really are. I need to go become a fan of a new school because clearly very little good is happening in UND athletics.

1) Men's basketball was on the verge of upsetting Weber State in the Big Sky Tourney.

2) Men's hockey probably would have beat the eventual national champion had their starting goalie not been injured that morning.

3) Women's soccer has dominated NDSU this year.

4) Women's volleyball won their most recent tournament, including beating an undefeated team.

5) The IPF is underway and will have a huge recruiting impact for many sports

6) UND hockey has it's fittest team in 10 years according to coach Hakstol, who has made the NCAA tournament every year since becoming coach.

7) Women's basketball traveled to Canada to play exhibition games and their freshman played a significant role. The team looks way better than last year

8) Women's golf is setting UND records in performance.

9) Football has the best receiving core in the country.

10) All but one hockey home game is available online in HD this year. Name another school that can say that. All 7 home football games, 10 basketball games and 3 volleyball games are all televised and streamed online.

11) Brad Schlossman.

12) Our SID comes to the message board to interact with fans and explain the issues at hand.

13) Our top 5 sports play in buildings that UND did not pay to build. That has saved the school so much money and is allowing for so many more benefits.

14) UND is a school and these are STUDENT-athletes. Record number of students making honor roll and absolutely kicking ass in class. And not just cake classes.

15) I can wear my UND shirt any time I travel ( I live in Colorado) and I'm guaranteed to get at least one "Go Sioux" in every airport and have had the pleasure to enjoy free drinks on planes courtesy of UND graduates flying the plane.

16) We have the best fans ever. The end of the outdoor game at Omaha is a true testament to that.

If that's the bar you're willing to settle for (extreme sarcasm).
  • Upvote 2

Holy crap... I never realized how bad things really are. I need to go become a fan of a new school because clearly very little good is happening in UND athletics.

1) Men's basketball was on the verge of upsetting Weber State in the Big Sky Tourney.

2) Men's hockey probably would have beat the eventual national champion had their starting goalie not been injured that morning.

3) Women's soccer has dominated NDSU this year.

4) Women's volleyball won their most recent tournament, including beating an undefeated team.

5) The IPF is underway and will have a huge recruiting impact for many sports

6) UND hockey has it's fittest team in 10 years according to coach Hakstol, who has made the NCAA tournament every year since becoming coach.

7) Women's basketball traveled to Canada to play exhibition games and their freshman played a significant role. The team looks way better than last year

8) Women's golf is setting UND records in performance.

9) Football has the best receiving core in the country.

10) All but one hockey home game is available online in HD this year. Name another school that can say that. All 7 home football games, 10 basketball games and 3 volleyball games are all televised and streamed online.

11) Brad Schlossman.

12) Our SID comes to the message board to interact with fans and explain the issues at hand.

13) Our top 5 sports play in buildings that UND did not pay to build. That has saved the school so much money and is allowing for so many more benefits.

14) UND is a school and these are STUDENT-athletes. Record number of students making honor roll and absolutely kicking ass in class. And not just cake classes.

15) I can wear my UND shirt any time I travel ( I live in Colorado) and I'm guaranteed to get at least one "Go Sioux" in every airport and have had the pleasure to enjoy free drinks on planes courtesy of UND graduates flying the plane.

16) We have the best fans ever. The end of the outdoor game at Omaha is a true testament to that.

You made my day. Its never a bad day to be a fighting sioux fan. Ever. Crappy losses/seasons/stretches happen. I'm just as ticked off as everyone else. But never is it a bad day to call myself a sioux fan.

• Upvote 1