SiouxSports.com Forum

Defense

bincitysioux

I can't believe the defense is even WORSE than last year. It is truly befuddling. I don't think the coaches OR players know what they are doing.

The defense is not worse than last year. I just can't wait for the graduation or benching of Mackey and Hall. The secondary looks better. Hall and Mackey sucked last year against double moves and they still suck against double moves. I really wish Konalowski would have done his job off the field so he could play because I had a feeling he would start. I still think Edwards should start. Cummings still needs to be checked for a pulse. Maybe going huge and having Cheatom Edwards and Henson or Welch would work? The injury to Goodman, once again, was a killer.

I still say, by the end of the season this years defense will be much better than last years.

They are worse. No improvement in tackling. Don't know where they are supposed to be. Cannot defend the run or pass. Can't pressure the qb. Say what you want about Mackey, but he was at least one of the few players that seemed to be concerned by the fact that the team was losing by 30+ points. He may not be the most talented guy out there but at least cares and puts forth an effort.

They are worse. No improvement in tackling. Don't know where they are supposed to be. Cannot defend the run or pass. Can't pressure the qb. Say what you want about Mackey, but he was at least one of the few players that seemed to be concerned by the fact that the team was losing by 30+ points. He may not be the most talented guy out there but at least cares and puts forth an effort.

Early in the game the defense was stopping the run. They were beating us with the pass. Montana deserves credit for some unbelievably good play calls. The isolation of Van on Otto was brilliant. Players were in the right spots to make plays most of the game. Hall got burned by a double move as usual and Mackey being the deep safety didn't break on the long TD on Browns side until the guy had caught the ball. At first I thought Darryl got burned which doesn't really happen until I realized that we were in zone and that was Mackey's responsibility on that play. And that jump ball in the end zone with 2 UND DBs on 1 Griz WR was on the players for not making the play.

I have a couple questions. Do you think we have 3-4 style DEs? And do you think it hurts us to have such short small safeties?

I don't know a lot about defensive football, but I think athlete wise we are undermanned.

The athletes on the offenses that UND will see > The athletes that we have on the defensive side of the football.

But at least we make up for it by taking face mask penalties and late hit penalties when we do make a play.

I have a couple questions. Do you think we have 3-4 style DEs? And do you think it hurts us to have such short small safeties?

No and yes. The DE we signed from Wisconsin last year is what our incoming DEs need to look like. About 260 lbs. Baylee Carr should be a lb.

Size is only part of it though. There is way more to our defensive struggles.

The defense is not worse than last year. I just can't wait for the graduation or benching of Mackey and Hall. The secondary looks better. Hall and Mackey sucked last year against double moves and they still suck against double moves. I really wish Konalowski would have done his job off the field so he could play because I had a feeling he would start. I still think Edwards should start. Cummings still needs to be checked for a pulse. Maybe going huge and having Cheatom Edwards and Henson or Welch would work? The injury to Goodman, once again, was a killer.

I still say, by the end of the season this years defense will be much better than last years.

green-kool-aidman.jpg

• Upvote 1

You keep saying the defense isn't worse than last year and that it will be better as this year goes on. Nothing we have seen up to this point even suggests that.

I was also referring to my post where I stated that we'll be better after we lose some of our worthless seniors.

This year we're averaging 412 given up on D through 3 games against 2 of the best teams in the country and one of the worst D1 teams out there. Last year our schedule wasn't as hard and we gave up on average 480 yards and that includes a game against South Dakota State School of Mimicry and Technology.

I'd put money on our defense averaging better than last years defense in yards given up per game even though it's a harder schedule. It's not Kool Aid it's an opinion that you disagree with.

I was also referring to my post where I stated that we'll be better after we lose some of our worthless seniors.

This year we're averaging 412 given up on D through 3 games against 2 of the best teams in the country and one of the worst D1 teams out there. Last year our schedule wasn't as hard and we gave up on average 480 yards and that includes a game against South Dakota State School of Mimicry and Technology.

I'd put money on our defense averaging better than last years defense in yards given up per game even though it's a harder schedule. It's not Kool Aid it's an opinion that you disagree with.

It's Kool-Aid to even suggest that getting rid of a couple of seniors will change much of anything in this program right now. The defense is horrible all around and a few good series of run defense doesn't change that. The O-Line can't protect and can't run block. We have two RF QB's with lots of potential and one of the best WR corps in FCS, but that won't be enough to win a lot of games at this level. This program has been on a downward trajectory since the Sioux Falls College debacle at home in 2009. Last night was just the latest warning sign. It will get worse before it gets better.

I agree with you that we have a lot of worthless seniors, but if there were guys who were better players on our roster then why weren't those guys on the field. The whole defense is a recruiting failure at this point. Completely talentless and that's 100% on the coaching staff since they brought all of these guys here.

Defense?

I'm in favor of UND acquiring one.

That was the question, right?

UM's first TD: We put the LCB on the slot on the right side of the D. UM saw that, motioned a back to prove it was man, and then threw to a back being "covered" by an ILB. That's on the coaches for calling a defense that'll leave hanging an ILB out to dry like that.

Defense?

I'm in favor of UND acquiring one.

That was the question, right?

UM's first TD: We put the LCB on the slot on the right side of the D. UM saw that, motioned a back to prove it was man, and then threw to a back being "covered" by an ILB. That's on the coaches for calling a defense that'll leave hanging an ILB out to dry like that.

Having a linebacker have coverage duty on a guy like that was insane. Watching it I was like, "Is that a LB chasing him down?"

If you could please break down the other 7 touchdowns the defense gave up? :lol:

Having a linebacker have coverage duty on a guy like that was insane. Watching it I was like, "Is that a LB chasing him down?"

If you could please break down the other 7 touchdowns the defense gave up? :lol:

c'mon man! They hung 55! He doesn't have that much time on his hands!

LB's generally have the RB in man coverage. Sometimes the safety. It was a good call. The only thing that could have stopped that would have been a time out or some blatant holding on Otto's part right away.