SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-gopher Week

jk

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the Gophs enjoy a huge home ice advantage at the X, it is over teams like DU, CC and Maine.

If the Gophs and Sioux (or SCSU/UW/UMD) play at the X, there will likely be 10-12 thousand Gopher fans, 4-6 thousand Sioux fans and the rest will cheer against the Gophs.

It certainly is an advantage, but it won't be stacked like it was against Maine or the Colorado teams.

I hate to break up a good rip fest here, but how about we look at what the actual quote was. Woog said "Who on the Mavericks can match up with Vanek, Tallackson.......Who can shoot a puck like Ballard, not many in the country." I'm a gopher fan and I know the FSN announcers are homers and deserve to be rippped at times, but at least do it on something legitimate like the UND hasn't played anyone quote.

Talk about taking a quote out of context lol

The difference this weekend will be specialty teams. The Gophers have always seemed to feast on the PP. This year UND is struggling on the PP, but very good at the PK. Should be a very interesting match-up. Here's some highlights that will be changed once this past weekends stats are posted. These are WCHA rankings from College Hockey Stats

Power Play: Totals SHA PCT

1 Minnesota 34/115 3 29.6

9 North Dakota 15/113 3 13.3

Penalty Kill: Totals SHF PCT

2 North Dakota 101/115 2 87.8

3 Minnesota 98/113 5 86.7

Combined Special Teams: Totals PCT

1 Minnesota 132/228 57.9

5 North Dakota 116/228 50.9

Special Teams Net: PPF SHA PP PPA SHF SH NET

1 Minnesota 34 3 +31 15 5 -10 +21

7 North Dakota 15 3 +12 14 2 -12 0

Also, look at the Power Play Points stat. Minnesota has seven players in the top 25 while UND has one. Not taking penalties and then a great PK will be key this weekend.

I think it's funny when people always rip on the Gopher announcers. Like Sweeney and Bredahl are that much better. :lol: "And no, McMann and McMahon are not related. Rory spells his last name M-C-M-A-H-O-N, and Brent spells his last name M-C-M-A-N-N." Seriously, if I had a nickel for every time Sweeney spells a player's name or gives some useless piece of non-hockey related trivia...well, let's just say I would not be the negative thousandaire I am today. :p Personally I think Woog is funny, and he usually points things out during a game that I would never pick up on and that help me learn a little more about the little things in hockey. Frank is another story though. Plus, I'm looking forward to watching Pride On Ice this Thursday, since they'll talk about the Sioux.

As for the series next weekend, it's looking to be tougher with every game that the Gophers play. It's mostly their nation-leading powerplay that worries me. That and the Sioux's fetish with putting themselves down 5-3. Have we had a game yet this season without at least one 5-3?? And who fights someone who is 6'7", 255 lbs with a minute and a half remaining in a game that they are winning 4-0? It should be interesting. I think the Sioux's best chances are if A.) they can stay out of the penalty box, B.) they can somehow match Prpich's line with Vanek's line again, and C.) the line formerly known as the Money Line can have another outstanding weekend. It will be how Parise got his groove back.

I just want to see UND take two points this weekend anything beyond that is huge. Because in years past I can't for the life of me remember when UND swept UofM at home. Anyone know the answer to this one?

Feb 15 and 16, 1980. The Sioux were in the midst of a 14-game winning streak that led to the NCAA title at Engelstad East Arena in Providence.

It was glorious. Yes I was there. We had balcony seats and since Saturday was not even close (6-2 I think), we got to use all our best taunts and insults.

This weekend? Maybe.

I hate to break up a good rip fest here, but how about we look at what the actual quote was. Woog said "Who on the Mavericks can match up with Vanek, Tallackson.......Who can shoot a puck like Ballard, not many in the country." I'm a gopher fan and I know the FSN announcers are homers and deserve to be ripped at times, but at least do it on something legitimate like the UND hasn't played anyone quote.

Ok, how about this? When Minnesota got beat by some team earlier this year, at HOME, Woog made the comment that "well now we know there are 3 good teams in the WCHA this year, Minnesota, Duluth, and DENVER..." (or something similar to this)

I put emphasis on Dever here, because UND went into Denver and SWEPT DU, but yet "UND hasn't played ANYBODY!!!"

I know what the man's job is, and that he was once the coach there, so it shouldn't get to me too much, but what does UND have to do to get some respect from him?!?

:p

Later in the same broadcast Woog said that next week the best two teams in the country will face each other in Mariucci. Perhaps your selective-listening ears didn't hear that.

I'm really not that comfortablr defending Woog, I think he is a mediocre to slightly above average announcer, but I would much rather listen to his ramblings than watch him standing behind the Gophers bench!

I can't wait for next weekend. I don't see either team blowing-out the other. My guess is that they will be low-scoring and tight-checking with lots of big hits.

BTW, what's wrong with the Sioux PP? With all the scoring they have up front they should be much better. Is it the lack of an offensive defensemen as the anchor? I'm just surprised by the 13.3%.

Later in the same broadcast Woog said that next week the best two teams in the country will face each other in Mariucci. Perhaps your selective-listening ears didn't hear that.

I'm really not that comfortablr defending Woog, I think he is a mediocre to slightly above average announcer, but I would much rather listen to his ramblings than watch him standing behind the Gophers bench!

I can't wait for next weekend. I don't see either team blowing-out the other. My guess is that they will be low-scoring and tight-checking with lots of big hits.

BTW, what's wrong with the Sioux PP? With all the scoring they have up front they should be much better. Is it the lack of an offensive defensemen as the anchor? I'm just surprised by the 13.3%.

Ok, first let me apologize for not specifying when he said what I was talking about. It was the weekend UND had Yale at the Ralph, and MN had Denver at home, I think. That was when Woog stated the comment about the 3 good teams. My point was that since then, UND went to Denver and kicked the snot out of them, but according to Woog, UND hasn't played anybody.

And if he stated that this weekend the 2 best teams in the country are going to go at it, then I have to admit that I actually agree with him... :lol:

The Sioux PP is very suspect right now. It will show up every once in awhile, ie., against UAA or Tech, but it hasn't been very good this year. I don't think they attack the net enough, but what do I know? It's not our PP I like, but I love our penalty kill, so that should be a good matchup for the Gopher series...

The Sioux PP is very suspect right now. It will show up every once in awhile, ie., against UAA or Tech, but it hasn't been very good this year. I don't think they attack the net enough, but what do I know? It's not our PP I like, but I love our penalty kill, so that should be a good matchup for the Gopher series...

UND doesn't need a power play when they are scoring 4.79 points per game.

Like Tim H says who cares.

While the Gophs enjoy a huge home ice advantage at the X, it is over teams like DU, CC and Maine.

If the Gophs and Sioux (or SCSU/UW/UMD) play at the X, there will likely be 10-12 thousand Gopher fans, 4-6 thousand Sioux fans and the rest will cheer against the Gophs.

It certainly is an advantage, but it won't be stacked like it was against Maine or the Colorado teams.

There will be at least one UMD fan there!!

Ok, first let me apologize for not specifying when he said what I was talking about. It was the weekend UND had Yale at the Ralph, and MN had Denver at home, I think. That was when Woog stated the comment about the 3 good teams. My point was that since then, UND went to Denver and kicked the snot out of them, but according to Woog, UND hasn't played anybody.

And if he stated that this weekend the 2 best teams in the country are going to go at it, then I have to admit that I actually agree with him... :lol:

Woog is an idiot....Shooting his mouth off while the Goofs are pounding the special olympian team from Mankato this weekend. Yeah I can't wait until this weekend.....

You guys can rip the Gophs all week. Thats fine.

I draw the line with anything resembling this comment. I'll leave it to the user to figure out which portion of the statement I have a problem with. :lol:

I think Woog is still pissed he wasn't able to accumulate the record Dean Blais has and will continue to compile.

I disagree, PP's become critical the deeper a team goes into the playoffs and the teams become more even.

I agree with you Greyeagle, but I also agree with Goon. I'm glad that we don't have to rely on our PP to win games for us. However, there will be a game during tourney time that we need a PP goal or two in order for us to win.

I think Minnesota is kind of the opposite. They seem to thrive or even live by the PP. I'm not sure on every game this year, but I'm thinking along the lines of the BU series. They might run into problems when they can't score on the PP.

I enjoyed the back of the head punch that Vanek threw on Saturday night. I was surprised that he didn't get off his game while taking such dumb penalties.

What was with the Mankato player tugging his jersey after scoring and then Vanek did it later?

I'm curious as to what the Gopher player (Vanek?) was yelling at one of Mankato's players after the Gopher's scored their 3rd or 4th goal on Sat. night. Probably saying how much he liked the yellow in Mankato's jerseys. :lol:

I agree with you Greyeagle, but I also agree with Goon. I'm glad that we don't have to rely on our PP to win games for us. However, there will be a game during tourney time that we need a PP goal or two in order for us to win.

I think Minnesota is kind of the opposite. They seem to thrive or even live by the PP. I'm not sure on every game this year, but I'm thinking along the lines of the BU series. They might run into problems when they can't score on the PP.

I enjoyed the back of the head punch that Vanek threw on Saturday night. I was surprised that he didn't get off his game while taking such dumb penalties.

What was with the Mankato player tugging his jersey after scoring and then Vanek did it later?

I'm curious as to what the Gopher player (Vanek?) was yelling at one of Mankato's players after the Gopher's scored their 3rd or 4th goal on Sat. night. Probably saying how much he liked the yellow in Mankato's jerseys. :lol:

Vanek is starting to remind me of Jason Blake with all of the trash talking he does on the ice. Lucky for him and like Blake he backs it up with his game.

Actually UND isn't that bad on the power play any more. Take away the 0-28 they have been better. Remember the less than stellar PP is nixed by an awesome Penatly Kill. So in my opinion it is a wash. I think UND will improve on the PP by tourney time.

While I agree that the lack of PP scoring has not hurt the Sioux to this point it could come back to bite them later. They have been so dominant 5 on 5 that they haven't needed it. What if they meet a team that can play with them at regular strength and also has strong special teams?

Regardless, UND has earned it's #1 ranking and will undoubtably win the regular season title.

Regardless, UND has earned it's #1 ranking and will undoubtably win the regular season title.

You sound rather confident. I agree that the Sioux will most likely win the league title, given that no team has really been able to play with them. Their lead is 2 points, plus they have 2 games in hand over UMD. The season is far from over, so there is still a small chance that the Sioux could be passed.