SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-gopher Week

jk

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on the officiating. It is sad that a ref can decide who wins a game. On a related note, the Gopher fans are complaining about the Foss article on the Parise mugging. They are made that Vanek wasn't mentioned. Another view of how Gopher fans think the world revolves around them. Our newspaper writer should not only watch enough Gopher games to know, and then write for Vanek's sake. :lol:

They may have a beef with that statement but I believe that, with the exception of BC, the top 5 WCHA teams could beat any of the HEA teams in the top 10 currently. I really believe that. Those guys are panzies, the lot of them.

:lol:

True. I think we may see 2 WCHA teams in the Final Four, depending on how the seeding goes. We now have 8 of the top 14 PWR spots, not to mention our 48-18-9 non-conference record.

You don't need a lot of PP goals when you score a ton 5x5 but it can bail you out of a jam on those games where you can't seem to score even strength. And as you go into one-and-out playoffs you need to be able to play all your cards.

That's what worries me.

This weekend is going to be a barn-burner. I said earlier this week that I wasn't yet convinced MN was "back" but would admit they were getting better. I'm now to the point of being fairly convinced they are "back". Mankato looked putrid in the little bit I watched, and that's not so impressive, but the long and short of it is MN is generally playing better than their opponent consistently, and that's what you need.

The Sioux have been vulnerable, and could have been beaten in St. Cloud. Maybe other games. Greene better have learned his lesson this weekend because we can not give MN tons of PP chances. Just can't happen.

We have to play a good clean game, stay away from special teams, and beat MN's deep line-up 5 on 5, which we CAN do.

MN is coming back, and we never seem to sweep them in MN. I expect a split. A sweep by either team is unlikely.

Sioux win on Friday. Seems they usually do.

This just pi$$es me off. I usually go to the Friday night games.

I think the Gophers are like 1-3-2 on Fridays at Mariucci since '97-'98. The lone victory being the playoffs in '02.

I did notice back in the 98-99 timeframe or so we tied 2 years in a row on Friday night then won on Saturday. So maybe I'm off. But in the last 3 years it's been a win on Friday night for the good guys.

They may have a beef with that statement but I believe that, with the exception of BC, the top 5 WCHA teams could beat any of the HEA teams in the top 10 currently. I really believe that. Those guys are panzies, the lot of them.

:lol:

I think that you are underrating Hockey East, at least Maine. Maine beat UM convincingly, and is a good team with a very good goaltender, Jimmy Howard. I saw BC when they played the Sioux, and they are very, very good. Additionally, BU, which is near the bottom of Hockey East, tied the Gophers twice at home. I also saw the Gophers easily handle UNH, but UNH has been struggling and is currently tied for 4th in HE.

I agree that the WCHA is stronger, particularly UND, Minnesota and UMD, but I would expect that BC and Maine will be strong contenders for the Frozen 4.

I think that you are underrating Hockey East, at least Maine. Maine beat UM convincingly, and is a good team with a very good goaltender, Jimmy Howard. I saw BC when they played the Sioux, and they are very, very good. Additionally, BU, which is near the bottom of Hockey East, tied the Gophers twice at home. I also saw the Gophers easily handle UNH, but UNH has been struggling and is currently tied for 4th in HE.

I agree that the WCHA is stronger, particularly UND, Minnesota and UMD, but I would expect that BC and Maine will be strong contenders for the Frozen 4.

Exactly....Maine is ALWAYS tough. Same can be said about BU and BC. If one of these teams gets into the FF and with the it being played in their backyard (The Fleet Center) you can expect any of them to be a very formidable opponent. Similar to Minnesota playing at "home" in 2002.

The FSN Clowns were ripping on UND for only having played 6 away games this year, and for having a weak non-conference schedule.  They said it is better than last year, but continue to discredit our team's success.  :lol:

t-020407-5.jpg

Add Mazzacco's cheap hairpiece, and the similarities are absolutely striking...

waldorf.jpg

Stub and Herbs is probably "it" but it's so jam packed it's not even fun to be in there. Sally's is another one not far away.

Oh it was great last year - I believe I saw Bombardir hanging around the bar. Nothing like rubbing elbows with a bunch of Gopher fans in a packed bar before the big game. If memory serves me correctly there were a ton of Sioux fans there before the game.

you guys bring signs down to try and smuggle them past the old men in coats?

Who knows maybe, you can get them in!

As for bars, take your pick, all of them around campus should be full of Gopher faithful. Big 10 is generally packed wall to wall as is S&H. Sally's is good for food and the bars in Dinkytown are good too.

WPoS

You sound rather confident. I agree that the Sioux will most likely win the league title, given that no team has really been able to play with them. Their lead is 2 points, plus they have 2 games in hand over UMD. The season is far from over, so there is still a small chance that the Sioux could be passed.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... No team has proven so far that they can take the ball away from UND so far this season. We will see though...

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... No team has proven so far that they can take the ball away from UND so far this season. We will see though...

And it would be nice to end the...

"the gophers are right where they want to be/ peaking at the right time/ its all coming together" ...BS that is everywhere right now. But I guess the world does revolve around Minnesota. :lol:

Kill 'em Sioux!

And it would be nice to end the...

"the gophers are right where they want to be/ peaking at the right time/ its all coming together" ...BS that is everywhere right now. But I guess the world does revolve around Minnesota. :lol:

Kill 'em Sioux!

Right where they want to be my a$$.... So piss away the first half of the year and turn on a spurt against .500 and below clubs at the begining of the 2nd half (with the exception of the CC series) then start talking smack about being where you want to be at the right time? I can see it now, Lucia telling his troops this back in October.."Ok guys...we have to stink it up the first half of the year then we will have UND right where we want em!" What a crock that is...

And who fights someone who is 6'7", 255 lbs with a minute and a half remaining in a game that they are winning 4-0?  .

Sometimes you have to stand up and be counted. John Scott, the Michigan Tech goon, was itching for a fight all night long, out of frustration over having been skated around, and through, for the better part of two nights. Same with most of his Tech teammates, Connor and a few others excepted. Most of the Tech boys were chopping and talking all night instead of playing hockey.

Hale did what any good captain does. Too many cheap shots and constant running at the mouth from Scott and Tech led to little choice but to take a stand. Knowing that the fight would draw a game suspension, and knowing that he is a leader off the ice as much as he is on, and knowing that his roster spot is better replaced than is, say Schneider's, or Prpich's, or Perter's (each of whom were itching to clean Scott's clock), Hale stepped to the plate.

Campion stepped in immediately and was holding Hale's arms when Scott came in with his sucker punches. They hit Campion's helmet, which slashed into Hale's face, which opened the wound. Hale was livid and would have killed Scott had he been given the chance. I know, I was there, and saw it up close.

That, my friend Forecheck, is who would step in and fight with 1:30 left in a 4-0 game. Oddly, no one from the Gophers had the gonads to step up and do the same thing to Scott and Tech back before Thanksgiving. Not Tallackson. Not Ballard. Not any of the other Gopher players.

Not saying this was wrong for the Gopher players to shy away from a guy 6'7" and 255 pounds. Most Gopher players over the years would have done the same thing. :lol: I am just comparing the size of hearts in the fight. Hale has a huge heart, and stepped up big for his team. Too bad the stitches were the result of having his hands held while Johnny Scott flailed blindly at a ref's helmet.

Should be a great college hockey series, the likes of which we have not seen in a few years. Let's just hope, for the fans' sake, that the Gophers can make games of them, unlike the series in GF back on November 7-8.

Predictions? Naw. Except that the Gopher faithful will be crying foul everytime that one of their skaters falls to the ice, for whatever reason be damned.

That, my friend Forecheck, is who would step in and fight with 1:30 left in a 4-0 game.

I just listened to the radio that night, which doesn't give you a good sense of what's happening and why. I was rather surprised when I heard it was Hale dropping the gloves. Thanks for giving me a better picture, friend. :lol: