SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-gopher Week

jk

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think the DON is trying to play down the series?

For his players? For the Fans? In case they don't show up?

If you are referring to Lucia's comments on KFan, it didn't sound like he was playing the series down to me. He sounded excited to get a chance to see how far the Gophers have truly come along. He did concede that irreguardless of how the weekend goes, the Gophers are not going to catch the Sioux. Adding that the Gophers need points this weekend, and must beat UW in order to catch them.

The only comment that was somewhat telling is that he chose not to tear into the team during the series in GF. Apparently Lucia thinks blasting the team is not something for the early season.

However, if the Gophers come out flat this weekend, I'm guessing Lucia will blast them.

Holy crap am I getting amped up for this series!!! It seems like the whole Gopher team is playing down this series. Vanek seems to get it but the rest of them just give the old. "this is going to be a good test" line. From what I have read and heard from the Sioux coaches and players it appears that they got plans to deliver a whooping and this time it literally will be behind "The Barn".

I don't use USCHO, so what is the Woog thread? There are trolls and good Sioux fans posting on your board a lot, so you would have even fewer posts if UND fans weren't visiting POI and if some of your users didn't post everything twice. :(

The Woog thread on USCHO was a simple 200+ post thread with probably 2/3's ripping him and Frank. I doubt there was a single post with anything new in it's entirety.

Here's how I see the series breaking down.

Forwards: Advantage UND. Bochenski, Parise and Murray are all in the top 5 for ppg. Vanek does make the top 10. I think that every one of UND's scoring lines is more potent than the comparable UM line. Additionally, UND's forwards backcheck and play both sides of the rink. Vanek play D? Please.

Defensemen: Draw. Although MN has much more highly skilled offensive defense men (think Ballard), UND's bruisers will hold the blue line and will match up well with MN's goal-mouth garbage collectors (Potulny has had a great career out-bruting defensemen and banging in rebounds and tips).

Goaltending: Advantage UND. Although Briggs has been playing well lately, Brandt and Parise are both superior.

Special teams: Advantage MN. Although UND has a decent pk, MN's pp is lethal. The Rodents just move the puck too well. The men in green better stay out of the box.

Incentive: Advantage MN. The Gophs have home ice and motivation to test their mettle. There is nothing that the Mariucci crowd would rather do than chant "over-rated" after a sweep.

So it is a toss-up. I am looking forward to some exceptional hockey. MN is one of the few teams that can actually skate with UND. That could be exciting. I predict a sweep 7-4 UND on Friday and 4-2 MN on Saturday with an empty netter. I can't wait fort his one.

Goon, you're now famous to Gopher fans everywhere!

There are actually a LOT more Gopher fans than Sioux fans. Something about 48,000 vs 13,000. I like to think we make up for it in quality :p

The size of the school does not represent fan base. Just think of how many alumni/young/never went to school Green and White blooded Americans who will be watching this game!

Granted MN is a much bigger (both size and pop) state than ND. I wouldn't discredit us like that! Sioux fans have 3rice the spirit of Gopher fans :D