SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Mollberg New Starting QB

geaux_sioux

Joe just threw it up there and let Greg go get it. It's not a good habit but its a shot you should take from time to time with great WRs. I think mussman probably just doesn't want Joe to think that it will work out so well every time.

At the end of the day it was one hell of a throw and catch that kept us in the game.

• Upvote 2

Joe just threw it up there and let Greg go get it. It's not a good habit but its a shot you should take from time to time with great WRs. I think mussman probably just doesn't want Joe to think that it will work out so well every time.

At the end of the day it was one hell of a throw and catch that kept us in the game.

Add that Joe had a SDSU defender on his back and another closing fast. It was a great throw and catch but if that gets picked that is one that the coach rewinds a couple times in the film room and says "What were you thinking here?" However, since it worked and gave a spark to the team, it was a great play.

Add that Joe had a SDSU defender on his back and another closing fast. It was a great throw and catch but if that gets picked that is one that the coach rewinds a couple times in the film room and says "What were you thinking here?" However, since it worked and gave a spark to the team, it was a great play.

Defiantly. I love that he had the balls to bomb that thing Favre style. He just needs to keep that in his back pocket most of the time.

Those awesome yards and scoring drives that joe put up are in part what happens when a team plays from behind and with desperation...ditch the crappy run game hurry up and play with confidence...if UND tries to play like they are losing the whole game UND would win more games this season. It's the nature of the beast.

Bartels looked better? I'd stick with Joe. He made some good plays given the oline play. It's hard to make good throws when you can't set your feet alot of the time.

Did you watch the second and third drives? He had two good drives, the first and last of the half, and that's it. He also didn't show the elusive speed that's been talked about so much. He was able to set for a majority of those throws (it's his fault he was tossing off his back foot with his hips squared downfield) and he either tossed it 5-10 yards over a receiver's head or behind them.

Of course you would stick with Joe. You named him the starter for 4 more years based off a quarter and a half against an SDSU defense that was playing off the receivers.

Did you watch the second and third drives? He had two good drives, the first and last of the half, and that's it. He also didn't show the elusive speed that's been talked about so much. He was able to set for a majority of those throws (it's his fault he was tossing off his back foot with his hips squared downfield) and he either tossed it 5-10 yards over a receiver's head or behind them.

Of course you would stick with Joe. You named him the starter for 4 more years based off a quarter and a half against an SDSU defense that was playing off the receivers.

Based off this post you are not painting the full picture of how he actually played along with the external variables. You may be pissed about the game but he's still the guy. Bartels would have been sacks 10 times today with that protection.

Mollberg made his share of mistakes against Montana, but for some perspective, Brent Goska and Marcus Hendrickson combined for 146 yards against SDSU and Montana in 2010 (with a better line and running game than at present), neither was a red shirt freshman at the time, and both did quite well later in their careers.

Based off this post you are not painting the full picture of how he actually played along with the external variables. You may be pissed about the game but he's still the guy. Bartels would have been sacks 10 times today with that protection.

Oh yes, those external variables. Like over and under throwing receivers.

You said Bartels didn't do any better... He attempted two passes. Hardin, the best receiver was on the sideline for both.

We will never know how Ryan would have done in the first three quarters today. But Joe showed absolutely nothing that says the competition is over.

Joe did many of the same things you criticized Ryan of last week.

Oh yes, those external variables. Like over and under throwing receivers.

You said Bartels didn't do any better... He attempted two passes. Hardin, the best receiver was on the sideline for both.

We will never know how Ryan would have done in the first three quarters today. But Joe showed absolutely nothing that says the competition is over.

Joe did many of the same things you criticized Ryan of last week.

Jesus Christ himself couldn't have caught that duck Bartels heaved up tonight.

The best WR today was not Hardin. He was maybe our 3rd best.

I didn't criticize Bartels for last week really. He made rookie mistakes like Joe did. Joe made some rookie mistakes tonight. The difference is that Joe is more capable than Ryan to make plays when the line is as bad as it is and that is a fact.

I thought Mollberg did fine, but he throws into double coverage way too much and rather than set his feet properly even when he has plenty of times he prefers to rely on his arm strength which often results in a ball in the turf or 5 yards ocer the receivers head. He's a freshman I think he will get it. But i would have liked to have seen Bartels to start the second half. He could throw jump balls to Golladay just as easily as Mollberg can.

Sorry Geaux_sioux.....you need to be called out......Mollberg will down down in the UND history books....as the quarterback of one of the biggest blowouts in UND Alerus history:......sorry it's a fact :sad:

What do I need to be called out about? He played well last week and earned the start. I never said he played really well tonight. That was clear. He didn't get much help from his team. He doesn't go down in the history books, the whole team does.

Sorry Geaux_sioux.....you need to be called out......Mollberg will down down in the UND history books....as the quarterback of one of the biggest blowouts in UND Alerus history:......sorry it's a fact :sad:

Not really a gauge of his play as the defense gave up TDs on virtually every drive, He didn't play at all on defense as far as I know. There is also a guy that will go down as the hot dog vendor in one of the biggest blowouts in UND Alerus history. Almost as relevant.

Words like "gunslinger" were tossed around here last week raving about Joe's throwing ability. His bad decision making and mechanics were dismissed. You know who you are.

You take the good with the bad here. The second half last week was the good. This is the bad.

Words like "gunslinger" were tossed around here last week raving about Joe's throwing ability. His bad decision making and mechanics were dismissed. You know who you are.

You take the good with the bad here. The second half last week was the good. This is the bad.

What are the options?? IMO Bartels isn't a better one. Joe was not good last night but he was still better than any O lineman or anybody on the opposite side of the ball.

• Upvote 1

Joe isn't the issue on this team...far from it. IMO Muss rides him thru the next 2 games. If a change is warrented do it for EWU...have zero chance to win that one anyways.

Agree with this, but last night we should have seen more of Bartels, or at least more of Bartels throwing and less of Ger running

I'm still in the Mollberg bandwagon. For people to say that he will forever be remembered in a game where his defense could have given up 70 if Montana kept trying is befuddling. I don't think Tom Brady could have lead the green and white to a victory last night.

I don't care who the QB is for the rest of the year really. This team has zero chance of success with the current status of the defense.

What are the options?? IMO Bartels isn't a better one. Joe was not good last night but he was still better than any O lineman or anybody on the opposite side of the ball.

I agree with this. I was happy to see the coaches stick with Joe as long as they did. With zero running game and a marginal oline it is asking a lot of a freshman qb to throw it 50 times. He is going to make mistakes and I still believe Molberg is a better option right now being more mobile. More concerns for me than our qb.

I agree with this. I was happy to see the coaches stick with Joe as long as they did. With zero running game and a marginal oline it is asking a lot of a freshman qb to throw it 50 times. He is going to make mistakes and I still believe Molberg is a better option right now being more mobile. More concerns for me than our qb.

And to your last sentence... it starts w Muss!!!

I don't think Bartes is a better option either.

What I am saying is that Joe will get an equally !@#!$ film grade as most of the rest of the offense. He gets no pass.

Why am i focusing on the offense? Go back to the preseason analysis. This defense is who we thought they were. The offense is not delivering what we all expected. Look at the first half when this was a game. The O couldn't get out of it's own way let alone make plays like last year which is what we all expected. We were expecting very little drop in offensive production, and in fact the QB play with turnovers is a big part of that.

Maybe it's on all of us for saying so often "the offense will be fine."

• Upvote 2