SiouxSports.com Forum

Vikings

Fetch

I'm not trying to say it is an excuse because it wasn't deliberate but I do believe there is huge difference between whether a person is legitimately trying to hurt their child or whether a person is trying to discipline their child and ends up going overboard.

"believe there is a huge difference"... again there isn't. Your take on this is utterly pathetic. I'm done here.

That is your opinion and I will stick with mine that there is a huge difference.

So I'll let you know the next time a parent has shaken their infant so hard and violently "just to get his/her attention" that the child is blind and/or has brain damage. They didn't mean to deliberately hurt their child so that doesn't make it abuse right..........seen it too often but carry on.

Now I'm done.

So I'll let you know the next time a parent has shaken their infant so hard and violently "just to get his/her attention" that the child is blind and/or has brain damage. They didn't mean to deliberately hurt their child so that doesn't make it abuse right..........seen it too often but care on.

Now I'm done.

So is a parent spanking their child to discipline them and leaving their butt a little sore the same as a parent punching their child in the face deliberately and leaving them with a concussion the same?

I'm not sure but I have seen anywhere from 4-7 reported. He may be the only person who knows the actual number.

The TC news media dd a nice job of "respecting" AP's privacy last season when his "son" died at the hands of an abuser in Sioux Falls, SD. Even ESPN jumped on the "playing with a heavy heart" BS. Poor, poor Adrian Peterson - playing in honor of his dead son. A son he didn't even know about until a month or two before he died...

• Upvote 1

The TC news media dd a nice job of "respecting" AP's privacy last season when his "son" died at the hands of an abuser in Sioux Falls, SD. Even ESPN jumped on the "playing with a heavy heart" BS. Poor, poor Adrian Peterson - playing in honor of his dead son. A son he didn't even know about until a month or two before he died...

True seems like that is the case with too many NFL players where they have a number of children with a number of different women. I believe it is Antonio Cromartie who is the most publicized with like 9 kids with 8 different women. 

True seems like that is the case with too many NFL players where they have a number of children with a number of different women. I believe it is Antonio Cromartie who is the most publicized with like 9 kids with 8 different women.

Actually, I think you're referring to Travis Henry, who officially has 9 kids with 9 different women, but is believed to have at least 2 more kids with a 10th woman, although their paternity is reportedly in question...

http://deadspin.com/5168766/travis-henry-explains-how-he-knocked-up-all-those-women

Pure speculation, but given the number of kids and moms involved, I've got to think that AP (and others like him) often have problems with children who simply view "daddy" as an adult person and not an actual dad. This four year old apparently told police that "daddy Peterson hit me." What four year old kid calls his dad by his last name?

I have a 4 yr old grandson - if someone did that to him - I'd be in prison for abusing him with a bull whip & I was one of AP's biggest fans before this 

I feel bad for  poor Kid poor Zimmer poor Fans poor Team & poor Me 

My Grandma used a switch on me when I was a kid (in KC Mo) & I used a belt on my own kids a few times but NOT EVEN CLOSE to this extent - a few swats to get their attention & left no marks - then all it took was "should I get the belt" 

I have already seen the pictures and know everything that has been reported doesn't change my opinion that he was trying to discipline his son and may have went a little overboard. Doesn't mean I would have used that same kind of discipline but I can understand why AP did since he was raised the same way.

I know if my dad would have beat the crap out of me that I would have made a conscious effort to NOT beat the crap out of my kids. Ever. How AP was or wasn't raised doesn't mean !@#$. It's 2014. Looking at pictures more than a week after it happened seems to indicate a little more than "taking it too far". And was the first time? Only time? How old is this child? Hopefully this isn't the only thing he will remember about his father.

%AP28

The elevator video really swayed the Ray Rice issue. Can you imagine if a video surfaced of this "discipline" session? I cringe to think of watching this little 4-year-old get repeatedly whipped and bloodied. You think there would be ANYONE defending this guy if there was a video from inside the "whooping room?"

Add to it statements from the child regarding fears of getting punched in the face if he told anyone about it.

Adrian Peterson is no father.

So is a parent spanking their child to discipline them and leaving their butt a little sore the same as a parent punching their child in the face deliberately and leaving them with a concussion the same?

But this isn't a case of a parent spanking their child and leaving their butt a little sore.  Any appropriate corporal punishment of a child will not leave marks like that one week afterwards.  There is a tendency of some people to label anything and everything a parent does to discipline their child as "good old fashioned discipline".  And they are the ones on Facebook defending this crap as "the way things used to be and the way things ought to be again". :angry:

I will also point out that child abuse gets worse over time without some sort of intervention.  What's it going to be next time?  A caning to the bare back?  A belt whipping to the bare legs?  Are those examples of "good old fashioned discipline" too?  I say no, they are crimes and need to be treated as such.  I think AP could lose parental rights over this and I think that would be an appropriate punishment.  End rant.  Go Vikings (the ones that don't abuse their kids).

• Upvote 1

You can understand why he'd use this type of discipline based on how he was raised? This doesn't make it alright. He's a wealthy man now. Maybe I shouldn't say man. A man wouldn't treat a kid this way. Just because he is a star player for the Vikings, excuses shouldn't be made for this.

I'm with you on this.  AP should know better.  This isn't just a "regional tradition".  It's childbeating.  1 year suspension is in order at a minimum.  

Just about to head to my first NFL game. Lifelong Patriots fan, looking to right the ship against the Vikes!

Have fun!  

I'm rooting for my Vikings.  Suck as they may...I'm still a Vikes fan.  

I'll wear my Alan Page jersey today.  The greatest man to ever wear an NFL jersey. 

I have a 4 yr old grandson - if someone did that to him - I'd be in prison for abusing him with a bull whip & I was one of AP's biggest fans before this 

My Grandma used a switch on me when I was a kid (in KC Mo) & I used a belt on my own kids a few times but NOT EVEN CLOSE to this extent - a few swats to get their attention & left no marks - then all it took was "should I get the belt"

I've never seen a belt NOt leave a mark. Belt equals switch.

ESPN The Magazine picked the Vikings to finish 3-13 (and that was WITH AP in the lineup).  If they keep turning it over like they did vs. the Patriots, that record is not out of the question.  Of course, that would give them another high 1st round draft choice and they might need it to pick AP's replacement depending on what happens with his child abuse case.