SiouxSports.com Forum

Cary Eades named USHL Coach of the Year

metalsioux07

Cary Eades Named USHL Coach Of The Year

by KDLT Sports

May 23, 2013 6:56 PM

Chicago, IL – The United States Hockey League today announced that Cary Eades of the Sioux Falls Stampede has been named the 2012-13 USHL Coach of the Year as determined by a vote of USHL coaches and general managers.

In just his first season behind the bench for the Stampede, Eades led the team to a 45-17-2 record and the top spot in the USHL Western Conference. The 45 wins tied for the most in the USHL (Dubuque Fighting Saints) and were the most in team history, surpassing the previous record of 43 during the 2005-06 season. Sioux Falls also recorded 24 victories on home ice to set a new team record, while their 21 victories on the road led the entire USHL.

The Stampede earned a team record 92 points in the standing under the direction of Eades this season, 51 more points than they accumulated last year. That increase represents the largest turnaround in USHL history from one season to the next, surpassing the 50-point improvement made by the Green Bay Gamblers in the 2008-09 season during the first year with Jon Cooper as head coach.

Sioux Falls hit new offensive highs with Eades at the helm as they scored 241 goals, the most for the team in the USHL Tier 1 era (2002-present). They were just one of three USHL teams that boasted six different players who scored 20 goals or more, and the team ranked third in the League averaging 3.77 goals per contest.

The Stampede were also one of the top teams defensively as they allowed the fourth fewest goals in the USHL (187), giving up 2.92 per game. Their penalty killing unit was among the best in the League also as they ranked third with an 84.8% success rate at stopping opponent power plays.

A number of players achieved individual success under the leadership of Coach Eades. Forward Dennis Kravchenko blossomed in his second USHL season (first with the Stampede) and was one of the League’s top scorers as he produced 63 points (21g, 42a) over 56 games to rank 12th overall in scoring. In his first season with the Stampede, forward C.J. Franklin ranked tied for sixth in the USHL with his team-leading 32 goals and tied for third with seven game-winners. Tony Calderone scored 29 goals while playing in all 64 regular season games and was named to the USHL All-Rookie Team. Charlie Lindgren recorded a League best 35 victories between the pipes to set a new Stampede record for victories in a season by a goaltender.

Overall, 17 players on the season-ending roster for the Stampede have earned opportunities at NCAA Division I hockey programs following their USHL careers.

This season marked a return to the USHL for Eades after nearly two decades coaching outside the League. He previously coached the Dubuque Fighting Saints for two seasons (1991-93) and led them to a 57-32-7 record. His 100th USHL coaching victory came this season during a 4-3 win over Dubuque on April 6th. It is just the second time a Sioux Falls Stampede head coach has been named the USHL Coach of the Year, following Kevin Hartzell who earned the honor during the 2005-06 season.

• Upvote 1

Cary Eades Named USHL Coach Of The Year

by KDLT Sports

May 23, 2013 6:56 PM

Chicago, IL – The United States Hockey League today announced that Cary Eades of the Sioux Falls Stampede has been named the 2012-13 USHL Coach of the Year as determined by a vote of USHL coaches and general managers.

In just his first season behind the bench for the Stampede, Eades led the team to a 45-17-2 record and the top spot in the USHL Western Conference. The 45 wins tied for the most in the USHL (Dubuque Fighting Saints) and were the most in team history, surpassing the previous record of 43 during the 2005-06 season. Sioux Falls also recorded 24 victories on home ice to set a new team record, while their 21 victories on the road led the entire USHL.

The Stampede earned a team record 92 points in the standing under the direction of Eades this season, 51 more points than they accumulated last year. That increase represents the largest turnaround in USHL history from one season to the next, surpassing the 50-point improvement made by the Green Bay Gamblers in the 2008-09 season during the first year with Jon Cooper as head coach.

Sioux Falls hit new offensive highs with Eades at the helm as they scored 241 goals, the most for the team in the USHL Tier 1 era (2002-present). They were just one of three USHL teams that boasted six different players who scored 20 goals or more, and the team ranked third in the League averaging 3.77 goals per contest.

The Stampede were also one of the top teams defensively as they allowed the fourth fewest goals in the USHL (187), giving up 2.92 per game. Their penalty killing unit was among the best in the League also as they ranked third with an 84.8% success rate at stopping opponent power plays.

A number of players achieved individual success under the leadership of Coach Eades. Forward Dennis Kravchenko blossomed in his second USHL season (first with the Stampede) and was one of the League’s top scorers as he produced 63 points (21g, 42a) over 56 games to rank 12th overall in scoring. In his first season with the Stampede, forward C.J. Franklin ranked tied for sixth in the USHL with his team-leading 32 goals and tied for third with seven game-winners. Tony Calderone scored 29 goals while playing in all 64 regular season games and was named to the USHL All-Rookie Team. Charlie Lindgren recorded a League best 35 victories between the pipes to set a new Stampede record for victories in a season by a goaltender.

Overall, 17 players on the season-ending roster for the Stampede have earned opportunities at NCAA Division I hockey programs following their USHL careers.

This season marked a return to the USHL for Eades after nearly two decades coaching outside the League. He previously coached the Dubuque Fighting Saints for two seasons (1991-93) and led them to a 57-32-7 record. His 100th USHL coaching victory came this season during a 4-3 win over Dubuque on April 6th. It is just the second time a Sioux Falls Stampede head coach has been named the USHL Coach of the Year, following Kevin Hartzell who earned the honor during the 2005-06 season.

Kind of makes one go hmmmmm? :)
  • Upvote 1

Kind of makes one go "I'm excited to have a former AHL defensive coach coaching UNDs defense instead of an offense focused USHL coach.

Yeah really since the d was better under this offensive minded USHL coach. But I still believe when Bubs gets the d into his system with the right type of dmen they will be stellar. The next few years will tell.

I see Cary getting a college job in the near future. Wherever he has been a head coach he's had a lot of success. Just looking over the article its amazing what he did with that Sioux Falls group that didn't have a lot of success last year.

It'd be interesting to hear from his former or current players what makes Cary so successful.

• 2 weeks later...

Just goes to show that being the son-in law of the Executive Vice President and CEO of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation gets you a job and keeps you a job...always figured they hired the wrong head. It was funny watching Hak with his arms folded looking up at the clock while Cary was doing the coaching. The systems used when Cary came from Warroad, offensive, defensive, PP and PK were ALL trademark Eades.

Just goes to show that being the son-in law of the Executive Vice President and CEO of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation gets you a job and keeps you a job...always figured they hired the wrong head. It was funny watching Hak with his arms folded looking up at the clock while Cary was doing the coaching. The systems used when Cary came from Warroad, offensive, defensive, PP and PK were ALL trademark Eades.

What game did Hak spend the game looking at the clock? He glances at the clock occasionally, but he never stares at the clock for long periods of time. Also, didn't Blais "promote" Hak for his replacement?

Several times through out the years clock watching while Eades did the work, especially early on since it was a total Eades system being used. I would say it was the Executive Vice President and CEO of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation way beyond anything else that landed him this gig. Life is full of "Who you know and who you .... and whose your wife's daddy that lands a person plum positions. Also, over the years I believe Hak is nowhere as successful without his Associate HEAD Coach. Someone mentioned Hak as a master recruiter wasn't Eades head of recruiting when he was there? Now that O'keefe has announced his retirement Hak won't have a "shield" anymore. "Dark Eyes" will be ready and probably willing when the call comes, if someone hasn't already snatched him up.

Several times through out the years clock watching while Eades did the work, especially early on since it was a total Eades system being used. I would say it was the Executive Vice President and CEO of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation way beyond anything else that landed him this gig. Life is full of "Who you know and who you .... and whose your wife's daddy that lands a person plum positions. Also, over the years I believe Hak is nowhere as successful without his Associate HEAD Coach. Someone mentioned Hak as a master recruiter wasn't Eades head of recruiting when he was there? Now that O'keefe has announced his retirement Hak won't have a "shield" anymore. "Dark Eyes" will be ready and probably willing when the call comes, if someone hasn't already snatched him up.

Eades wasn't the Associate head coach until the 2006-2007 season. The prior 2 years UND was in the frozen four and the national championship game. It also takes time to institute a new defensive scheme, especially when you are taking over someone elses players. I know some people aren't fans of Hakstol on here, but saying he wasn't as successful without Eades as Associate head coach is just a flat out lie. I will never understand the Hak hate on here, just crazy...

Eades wasn't the Associate head coach until the 2006-2007 season. The prior 2 years UND was in the frozen four and the national championship game. It also takes time to institute a new defensive scheme, especially when you are taking over someone elses players. I know some people aren't fans of Hakstol on here, but saying he wasn't as successful without Eades as Associate head coach is just a flat out lie. I will never understand the Hak hate on here, just crazy...

It's not hate, but it's time to get it done.

Several times through out the years clock watching while Eades did the work, especially early on since it was a total Eades system being used. I would say it was the Executive Vice President and CEO of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation way beyond anything else that landed him this gig. Life is full of "Who you know and who you .... and whose your wife's daddy that lands a person plum positions. Also, over the years I believe Hak is nowhere as successful without his Associate HEAD Coach. Someone mentioned Hak as a master recruiter wasn't Eades head of recruiting when he was there? Now that O'keefe has announced his retirement Hak won't have a "shield" anymore.

Long summer, huh?

1) Cary Eades' team didn't exactly win the title this year. (Familiar trend that Hak often gets blamed for at UND)

2) Hakstol is also a recipient of the same award

I'm not trying to knock Cary's coaching ability, because I think he's a great coach. I just don't see how things would be any better at UND if Cary was head coach.

Just for the record, when Blais left UND, he endorsed Dave Hakstol and said basically that that UND didn't need to look far because they had the head coach on staff.

I thought Blais endorsed Johnson? That was the whole spat which ensued afterwards.

I thought Blais endorsed Johnson? That was the whole spat which ensued afterwards.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2006/04/03_hakstol.php

But the one who knew Hakstol best — Blais — is the one who gave a ringing endorsement for Hakstol as his replacement. While there were doubters in the community over the selection, once again Blais proved right.

No! I went to a Booster luncheon as well where Blaiser endorsed Hakstol as well and said that the program was in good hands with Dave. For all of the people that love Blais, me being one of them, that should mean something.

& he has been very good - not Great still can't believe with Oshie & Toews he did not win the championship

I think he has a couple more yrs with Rocco & Tamberlini to get it done - if not it may be time to try another team of coaches

10 yrs is good 15 ur not the same & 20 is too long in any line of work

Did I say that he never did? I asked in which game did he spend THE GAME (the entire game) watching the clock.

As pointed out, Eades was not Associate Head Coach the entire time. Berry was the coach for the defense and the associate head coach. From his profile on fightingsioux.com, "Before embarking on his professional coaching career, Berry spent six seasons on the UND coaching staff (2000-06), including his last two as associate head coach under Hakstol. While overseeing the team's defensemen and penalty kill, Berry helped guide UND to NCAA Frozen Four appearances in 2001, 2005 and 2006, Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) regular season titles in 2001 and 2004 and a WCHA playoff championship in 2006." From Cary's profile, "Involved in all aspects of the Sioux program, Eades' primary responsibilities with UND include coaching the team's defensemen and the power play, an area in which he has a great deal of expertise as both a coach and player. Last season, UND's 23.3 percent power play efficiency during league play led the WCHA, and its overall clip of 22.9 percent ranked second." So, he was involved in all aspects and spent one year with Berry on the defense side before Berry left.