SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Niagara - NCAA 1st round

AZSIOUX

Not sure why anyone would rather play Yale when they snuck into the tourney. Niagara was up to Number 7 in the PWR late in the season until Canisius upset them.

My take:

1. I think it really hurts us to be in the same regional as Minnesota. Not because I'm scared of the Gophers but it takes the focus off Game 1. The boys need to really be focused on Niagara now.

2. We need to solve Chubak early. The longer Niagara goes and keeps the game close the more they think they can actually win. We are a much better team but we need to show it by scoring.

3. Everyone talks about Rocco. Rocco needs his hands to catch up to his feet. Either that or he needs to slow his hands down and not be so fast on the release. He needs to relax and let his talent take over.

4. If we get past Niagara I think we'll be playing the Gophers. Then I think the game comes down to penalty kill and power play. We need to be better than they are and that will be tough. This year the Gophers are huge and draw a lot of penalties cycling down low (the way a lot of Sioux teams used to). This Sioux team is not a physical team and they need to be patient when the Gophers are in our zone. Also they need to stop pushing everything into the high slot since it makes them so susceptible to odd man rushes when they make mistakes. This time of year if you are plus on the power play you usually win. I feel that this North Dakota team is more talented than Minnesota. We just need to let it all hang out and play like we did the last game against Tech where the focus was shots on goal. If we do that and get decent goaltending we make the Frozen Four.

First Niagara. And what the heck is a Purple Eagle?

I wouldn't be surprised with any result this weekend, but remember, we won't have WCHA refs and Minnesota hasn't played many games on NHL ice.

Minnesota went from Oct 20-Feb 17 where they didn't play on NHL ice. On NHL Ice Minnesota was 4-3 if my math was correct.

Not sure why anyone would rather play Yale when they snuck into the tourney. Niagara was up to Number 7 in the PWR late in the season until Canisius upset them.

My take:

1. I think it really hurts us to be in the same regional as Minnesota. Not because I'm scared of the Gophers but it takes the focus off Game 1. The boys need to really be focused on Niagara now.

2. We need to solve Chubak early. The longer Niagara goes and keeps the game close the more they think they can actually win. We are a much better team but we need to show it by scoring.

3. Everyone talks about Rocco. Rocco needs his hands to catch up to his feet. Either that or he needs to slow his hands down and not be so fast on the release. He needs to relax and let his talent take over.

4. If we get past Niagara I think we'll be playing the Gophers. Then I think the game comes down to penalty kill and power play. We need to be better than they are and that will be tough. This year the Gophers are huge and draw a lot of penalties cycling down low (the way a lot of Sioux teams used to). This Sioux team is not a physical team and they need to be patient when the Gophers are in our zone. Also they need to stop pushing everything into the high slot since it makes them so susceptible to odd man rushes when they make mistakes. This time of year if you are plus on the power play you usually win. I feel that this North Dakota team is more talented than Minnesota. We just need to let it all hang out and play like we did the last game against Tech where the focus was shots on goal. If we do that and get decent goaltending we make the Frozen Four.

Niagara played 5 games against TUC and went 3-2. That was against Robert Morris and Holy Cross

My take:

Great description of Rocco. Every time Rocco gets to that spinning out of control point I start singing Simon and Garfunkel, "slow down your moving to fast, gotta make the moment last"

IMO the 1st goal today will be extremely important. If UND gets it I think it snowballs and they roll. If not I see a 3-2 coin flip winner. My gut says the 1st scenario plays out with Rocco getting at least 1 and Zane in net.

Down in Mizzu for Easter holiday... 11:36 tee time then ESPNU to watch game. Not a bad Good Friday!

Mark 16:6...Enjoy this Easter season and Go Sioux!

I think UND got a good draw with this one. Niagara is a team that is quite possibly the most overrated team in the history of the PWR. Only 21 in the KRACH rankings and their SOS is 53 out of 59. I know it's playoff time and anything can happen, but I fully expect UND to completely out class Niagara in every aspect of the game. 6-1 UND.

Veteran move....trying to jinx us early. Two can play that game.....gophs cruze through the game today, no doubt in my mind. I'm calling 5-1 after 2.

My take:

Well put.

Veteran move....trying to jinx us early. Two can play that game.....gophs cruze through the game today, no doubt in my mind. I'm calling 5-1 after 2.

Lol. For real, though. That's actually how I feel the UND game will go. Niagara and Canisius are the only bad teams in the tournament IMO. I could be wrong, just my opinion. I feel like Minnesota is gonna have a track race with Yale that will come down to goaltending.

hey I already called it gophs 7-2 earlier this week. ;) however, I do truly think this is what it will end up being. all this talk about anyone beating anyone this tournament is hogwash when it comes to this game. this as as close to a gimmee as their is. and I will be looking forward to that beer Goon will owe me after this one.

Gophers haven't had an easy time with anyone. This will be decided late in the third.

The Sioux on the other hand will get invincible goaltending and behind five Rocco/Kristo goals will win 5-0.

:p

I just have a feeling Rocco is going to absolutely go off this weekend.

He and Kristo have performed and won the gold on the highest level in the world! Rocco will be a tough match up for niagara

Gophers haven't had an easy time with anyone. This will be decided late in the third.

The Sioux on the other hand will get invincible goaltending and behind five Rocco/Kristo goals will win 5-0.

:p

Touche....that MN goalie though....that kid can play. I would be shocked if he gave up more than 2 goals today. The guy NEVER gets blown up, I highly doubt that happens against a team as terrible as Yale.

Dave Starman's analysis of UND from uscho.com:

North Dakota

• Depth, great bottom six, toughest team in the tournament

• Elite first line and top defense pair

• Well coached and high compete level

• Achilles’ heel: Scoring can go dry at times

Good analysis, except the first bullet. I really hope this isn't the toughest team in the tournament, this is is the least tough UND team in years. Our depth is solid, but our high end depth at forward is lacking this year.

Dave Starman's analysis of UND from uscho.com:

North Dakota

• Depth, great bottom six, toughest team in the tournament

• Elite first line and top defense pair

• Well coached and high compete level

• Achilles’ heel: Scoring can go dry at times

Good analysis, except the first bullet. I really hope this isn't the toughest team in the tournament, this is is the least tough UND team in years. Our depth is solid, but our high end depth at forward is lacking this year.

He nailed our achilles heel.

Rocco is quick, skilled, and savvy. A deadly combination. Smart teams try to ride him off the play, and it works well if there is nobody quick enough to stay with the play when Rocco gains the zone with speed. That is why I like Rocc Kristo and Knight on the same line. Yeah, you can ride one off the play, but then lookout for the others! I cannot even count the number of times Rocco used his speed and stick handling to get deep into the zone, only to be pushed wide by the defense, and then Rocco turning and looking for a trailing pass and nothing........... What a waste.