SiouxSports.com Forum

UND going FBS

siouxfan512

NDSU and Kansas a few years ago? Bison had a very legitimate shot at winning that game. Though I think that is part of accepting the size of your school. Will UND ever be a #1 seed in the NCAA Bball tourney? Probably not, barring some major changes over maybe 50 years. BUT that is part of the fund of a school UND's size. It is a big deal to make the tourney, and if you can win a game or two its exciting to compete with and beat some of the bigger school. From there you have to just hope you programs can recruit and build.

*fun not fund (hate typos)

NDSU and Kansas a few years ago? Bison had a very legitimate shot at winning that game. Though I think that is part of accepting the size of your school. Will UND ever be a #1 seed in the NCAA Bball tourney? Probably not, barring some major changes over maybe 50 years. BUT that is part of the fund of a school UND's size. It is a big deal to make the tourney, and if you can win a game or two its exciting to compete with and beat some of the bigger school. From there you have to just hope you programs can recruit and build.

UND will never be a Gonzaga (basketball school) and if they can upset a Kansas or another big school then that's great. Just seems its all for nothing. No national title just 15 minutes of fame on CBS. Would a split in the dance actually be a bad thing with over 300 schools trying to get 65 or 66 spots? For one title? They do it in football why not other sports.

Butler. Boise st. Yes give any team enough time to grow and compete with the big boys and eventually one will break through. Put moreschools in division I and the odds increase in fifty years a few will grow get tradition and become a "power." That's why the big schools worry. Where do they go? They can't move up! And they see their brand getting watered down.

Butler. Boise st. Yes give any team enough time to grow and compete with the big boys and eventually one will break through. Put moreschools in division I and the odds increase in fifty years a few will grow get tradition and become a "power." That's why the big schools worry. Where do they go? They can't move up! And they see their brand getting watered down.

I could imagine how many titles Boise would have won if the FBS had a playoff like the FCS.

UND will never be a Gonzaga (basketball school) and if they can upset a Kansas or another big school then that's great. Just seems its all for nothing. No national title just 15 minutes of fame on CBS. Would a split in the dance actually be a bad thing with over 300 schools trying to get 65 or 66 spots? For one title? They do it in football why not other sports.

Probably true, but they could certainly become relevant. If they can get in the tournament , or even surprise a team once they get there, it would do alot for recruiting. I'm not saying they will be a Gonzaga in the next year, or ever ... but they could certainly become much more relevant than they are now. They have made some really nice progress in the past few years, I just hope it continues.

As for splitting the tourney, I can see the argument on both sides of that. I for one, am a big tradition guy, so I hope it stays the way it is; and if the Sioux never win a Championship then so be it (why we have hockey :) ), but I still hope to see them make the tourney and compete. Cinderella story teams are always fun if you are fortunate enough to see it happen to your team.

Probably true, but they could certainly become relevant. If they can get in the tournament , or even surprise a team once they get there, it would do alot for recruiting. I'm not saying they will be a Gonzaga in the next year, or ever ... but they could certainly become much more relevant than they are now. They have made some really nice progress in the past few years, I just hope it continues.

As for splitting the tourney, I can see the argument on both sides of that. I for one, am a big tradition guy, so I hope it stays the way it is; and if the Sioux never win a Championship then so be it (why we have hockey :) ), but I still hope to see them make the tourney and compete. Cinderella story teams are always fun if you are fortunate enough to see it happen to your team.

Beating a team in the dance is one more thing to dangle in front of a recruit. UND is making steps, get into an AQ conference, make the conference tournament, now we need to win it then root like crazy in the dance. Just seeing UND's name on the brackets would be exciting.

Beating a team in the dance is one more thing to dangle in front of a recruit. UND is making steps, get into an AQ conference, make the conference tournament, now we need to win it then root like crazy in the dance. Just seeing UND's name on the brackets would be exciting.

Definitely agree, seeing UND on a bracket would be alot of fun. Really cool to see a small school on the national stage, competing with the big boys.

as far as FBS goes, no, we don't have the facilities, location, or fan and institutional support to even talk about it in a serious manner. while adding the IPF is great for recruiting and training, its small beans in the big picture.

there is no reason why UND, NDSU, SDSU or USD can't compete at an elite level in basketball. The main problems are fan support and institutional commitment, neither of which we have, though we are far closer in fan support than commitment.

as far as FBS goes, no, we don't have the facilities, location, or fan and institutional support to even talk about it in a serious manner. while adding the IPF is great for recruiting and training, its small beans in the big picture.

there is no reason why UND, NDSU, SDSU or USD can't compete at an elite level in basketball. The main problems are fan support and institutional commitment, neither of which we have, though we are far closer in fan support than commitment.

We need a Ralph Engelstad of the football nature to build an football stadium to match our hockey arena. I intend to do so, but don't quite have the funds together yet. :)

Gonzaga spends 6x the amount of money UND does on basketball. They spend 3x what UND and NDSU do combined on basketball. It takes money to compete. Unless a huge donor is going to step up, not sure where that money is going to come from. UND has struggled to finish getting the funds for their IPF (though it looks like they finally have). NDSU has been stuck on the last $2MM of their BSA renovation for how long now? They would need double that $2MM every year on top of their existing basketball budget and they would still be $1MM short of what Gonzaga spends on basketball.

Gonzaga spends 6x the amount of money UND does on basketball. They spend 3x what UND and NDSU do combined on basketball. It takes money to compete. Unless a huge donor is going to step up, not sure where that money is going to come from. UND has struggled to finish getting the funds for their IPF (though it looks like they finally have). NDSU has been stuck on the last $2MM of their BSA renovation for how long now? They would need double that $2MM every year on top of their existing basketball budget and they would still be $1MM short of what Gonzaga spends on basketball.

And that's a big part of the equation that gets overlooked, it's not just the football requirements, it's a move up in caliber of all sports as far as facilities and money. More coaches, more recruiting, more travel, better facilities, etc... Many millions up front and many millions every year.

And that's a big part of the equation that gets overlooked, it's not just the football requirements, it's a move up in caliber of all sports as far as facilities and money. More coaches, more recruiting, more travel, better facilities, etc... Many millions up front and many millions every year.

That's why you see teams excel at one or two sports and not all sports (like Duke or Kansas)

Getting back to the topic of FBS football, which has nothing to do with basketball, I'd say we should forget it until we dominate FCS, and so far that hasn't happened. Win a couple titles and pack the stadium, then we'll talk.

We need a Ralph Engelstad of the football nature to build an football stadium to match our hockey arena. I intend to do so, but don't quite have the funds together yet. :)

Lets put together a siouxsports fund drive to build a football stadium. I got $20. :D

Those are basketball schools since when will UND or NDSU be up to their calibur? Day after never.

I probably agree with that. But, that doesn't mean on occasion if there is decent recruiting and coaching a trip beyond the first round would not be possible. But, it would be tough coming out of two conferences that are pretty poor when it comes to the national scene in BB.

Another big limiter for either NDSU or UND to look at moving up in FB is the inability to increase the size of an indoor stadium. I think for a run at FBS a minimum of 25,000 would be needed and 30,000 would be better. Even at NDSU filling a 30,000 seat stadium might be a tall order......especially when all you play for is a chance to play in a garbage bowl.

• Upvote 1