SiouxSports.com Forum

impact of new conference on TV broadcast

Anderson2200

Midco is still doing every game whether it is on CBSSN or not correct? Not so certain that CBSSN would be sending their own equipment if they can pick up Midco's HD feed. I could be wrong though.

It is my understanding that CBSSN will be producing their own games, with their own crew and equipment. But my understanding could be wrong as there has been very little concrete information made available to us about this new deal.

Moreover, I suspect that when CBSSN picks up a UND game, Midco will not be broadcasting that game. Kind of like when NBCSN picks up a Wild game, FSN does not get to air it. I suspect UND is not eager to widely publicize this little tidbit of information with the public because there will be tens of thousands of fans within the Midco viewing area that will not be able to watch those particular UND games unless they upgrade to a sports-tier package.

It is my understanding that CBSSN will be producing their own games, with their own crew and equipment. But my understanding could be wrong as there has been very little concrete information made available to us about this new deal.

Moreover, I suspect that when CBSSN picks up a UND game, Midco will not be broadcasting that game. Kind of like when NBCSN picks up a Wild game, FSN does not get to air it. I suspect UND is not eager to widely publicize this little tidbit of information with the public because there will be tens of thousands of fans within the Midco viewing area that will not be able to watch those particular UND games unless they upgrade to a sports-tier package.

I would agree that CBSSN would likely provide their own commentators if they have a contract with the NCHC. If that is the case, they likely may send up their own equipment. Agreed, not much has been shared on that front.

I had the opposite understanding on Midco airing the games. I was under the imperssion that they would be able to air all home games regardless of CBSSN picking it up. Maybe if Jayson knows, he can fill us in on the details.

I would agree that CBSSN would likely provide their own commentators if they have a contract with the NCHC. If that is the case, they likely may send up their own equipment. Agreed, not much has been shared on that front.

I had the opposite understanding on Midco airing the games. I was under the imperssion that they would be able to air all home games regardless of CBSSN picking it up. Maybe if Jayson knows, he can fill us in on the details.

And from previous experience with Jayson it should be quick. Jayson seems to be a guy who cares about all fans and not just the ones with big bank accounts.

CBSSN will bring in their own crew, their own truck and will not rely on anything that Midco does other than getting previous highlights of UND. It's unlikely Midco will be able to broadcast the games that CBSSN does, similar to how Root was the only option for the UND/Montana football game earlier this year. That's standard information that anyone with even a little bit of knowledge about sports broadcasting would know.

I know it seems like I'm an apologist for the athletic department on this deal but I also know a lot about the business. I find it frustrating and annoying when people come on here to whine about something they know very little about. The details of this deal, and the options UND still has, are not fully publicized. Additionally, Midco still has options for distributing the games that have not been publicized or fully understood.

October 2013 is still a long ways away. Express your concerns with the athletic department directly. They are working on things, just hold on calling people out.

• Upvote 1

What sort of broadcasts are the other NCHC schools able to provide? If many of them are equipped to broadcast in HD that could certainly hurt UND. With CBSSN only airing 18 games a year I'd think they'd try to air as many games that are broadcast in HD as possible meaning UND games might only make the list when UND plays on the road against an opponent whose games are broadcast in HD.

hav

The Ralph may be forced to step it up if they want any national television exposure.

Any arena is equipped for HD. When people were saying REA didn't have the ability to do it they were full of crap. It all depends on whether or not the station broadcasting has an HD capable truck and equipment. FSN was broadcasting from REA in HD during that same time frame where "REA wasn't equipped for HD broadcasts."

Any arena is equipped for HD. When people were saying REA didn't have the ability to do it they were full of crap. It all depends on whether or not the station broadcasting has an HD capable truck and equipment. FSN was broadcasting from REA in HD during that same time frame where "REA wasn't equipped for HD broadcasts."

I think when people said "REA wasn't equipped" they really meant "WDAZ wasn't equipped". FSN brought their own cameras for those broadcasts so they were able to have HD.

It's because the conference has a contract for exclusive national broadcast rights with CBS College Sports. I believe the FCS deal with UND is done after this year.

Understatement of the year..................

By all accounts, UND has chosen to "take one for the team" allowing the NCHC to broker the TV deal with apparently little input from UND. UND is going to move forward relying heavily on web-based platforms for broadcasting hockey.

It seems equally dumb that Cable One and Midco can't work something out to get Midco Sports Net on Cable One's lineup though.

I seem to recall (almost) everyone being upset that Notre Dame didn't want to join the National Conference. Some said it was OK to not have Notre Dame at least partly because they were not willing to give up their institution's control to broadcast Fighting Irish hockey on NBC. So now the complaint on this thread is that UND didn't do the same thing as "the other ND".

Bottom line, to me, is that conference realignment $ucks. Too much chasing $$ for the already rich. All more money brings is greed for a bigger part of the pot. Whether its the loss of the old NCC because half the conference goes DI or the creation of the NCHC because the B1G has enough teams to sponsor their own hockey conference, I for one would not mind having the same affiliations that were in place 40 years ago when the NCC was the NCC and the WCHA was the WCHA (and NDAC men were &^%$#@ and sheep were nervous :) )

I seem to recall (almost) everyone being upset that Notre Dame didn't want to join the National Conference. Some said it was OK to not have Notre Dame at least partly because they were not willing to give up their institution's control to broadcast Fighting Irish hockey on NBC. So now the complaint on this thread is that UND didn't do the same thing as "the other ND".

Bottom line, to me, is that conference realignment $ucks. Too much chasing $$ for the already rich. All more money brings is greed for a bigger part of the pot. Whether its the loss of the old NCC because half the conference goes DI or the creation of the NCHC because the B1G has enough teams to sponsor their own hockey conference, I for one would not mind having the same affiliations that were in place 40 years ago when the NCC was the NCC and the WCHA was the WCHA (and NDAC men were &^%$#@ and sheep were nervous :) )

With the formation of B1G, I think UND did the right thing. The balance of power in the WCHA would have been lost to the smaller schools and league votes could have hurt UND in the long run. Plus the WCHA would have been considered a much weaker conference. I will admit it brings with it a bunch of uncertainties. Check with your local cable provider to see if they will pick up the midco feed. I know charter airs the Beavers and several other teams games on PBS digital channels. Hopefully that will be an option.

Maybe the NCHC schools need to get together and create a webcast package that allows you to access every webcast for one price. Within the last couple years there has been a webcast that I have gotten free because I had the UND package purchased and they used the same company but I can't remember which school it was.

Maybe it's an improbable pipe dream, but I would be willing to pay $100. to have every UND conference and home game available if it wasn't on TV, and the way that UND fans are spread across the country I wouldn't be the only one.

• Upvote 2

Maybe the NCHC schools need to get together and create a webcast package that allows you to access every webcast for one price. Within the last couple years there has been a webcast that I have gotten free because I had the UND package purchased and they used the same company but I can't remember which school it was.

Maybe it's an improbable pipe dream, but I would be willing to pay $100. to have every UND conference and home game available if it wasn't on TV, and the way that UND fans are spread across the country I wouldn't be the only one.

Especially if they improved the quality of the stream/picture.

Maybe "some" people may have said that, but they probably didn't even realize the two things were linked. The NCHC's position on TV rights not only cost UND the ability to have a national TV deal, but it also prevented Notre Dame from joining the conference. I didn't blame Notre Dame one bit for insisting on keeping their national TV deal. They'd be insane to give that up. The NCHC cut off its nose to spite its face. If the NCHC had allowed members to maintain and pursue their own national TV deals, the NCHC would be a stronger and much more visible conference.

you said it better than i did +1

Midco Sports Network will still be able to broadcast all home games on a regional basis EXCEPT:

1) Home games that are broadcast by CBSSN

2) CBSSN doubleheader Fridays (even if UND is not involved in the doubleheader)

Again, MidcoSN can show all other home games regionally, but national carriers like FCS will no longer be allowed to pick up the games.

Webcasts (in HD) of all home games will be available, except those broadcast by CBSSN. It is my understanding that we can still webcast home games on CBSSN doubleheader nights if the doubleheader does not include the UND game.

Midco Sports Network will still be able to broadcast all home games on a regional basis EXCEPT:

Well this just keeps getting better and better.............................. :glare:

Again, MidcoSN can show all other home games regionally, but national carriers like FCS will no longer be allowed to pick up the games.

Webcasts (in HD) of all home games will be available, except those broadcast by CBSSN. It is my understanding that we can still webcast home games on CBSSN doubleheader nights if the doubleheader does not include the UND game.

Thanks for the information, Jayson.

-----------------------------------------------

Ouch, on the webcast information for those of us who could maybe afford the webcast but not the sports package to get CBSSN. Maybe CBSSN will try to be like NBCSN and get on regular cable...

How much did the league get for this deal? Whatever it was it was no where near enough.

Heres some Questions for jayson

1. What if cbs doubleheader nite fetures two teams out east? are we still SOL?

2. Was the purpose of going D1 in crease exposure for und AD?]

2a. do you believe cbssn increases exposure?

3. How long is this dumb contract last for?

4. I cant believe the NCHC agreed to this dumb sheet?

5. who gets more homes? FCS or CBSSN?

6. Is there any cash exchanged from CBSSN to NCHC? (better be for thiese ridiculousy terms)

Thanks for your time jayson

Also, any idea how many doubleheaders CBS is gonna do? Might not even be able to watch the games AT ALL most weekends. Tim Hennesy better never retire on the radio.

It is my understanding that there are only 3-4 doubleheaders planned for the entire year. I would assume -- based on nothing but my own speculation -- that UND will be a part of at least 1-2 of those doubleheaders anyway.

Heres some Questions for jayson

1. What if cbs doubleheader nite fetures two teams out east? are we still SOL?

2. Was the purpose of going D1 in crease exposure for und AD?]

2a. do you believe cbssn increases exposure?

3. How long is this dumb contract last for?

4. I cant believe the NCHC agreed to this dumb sheet?

5. who gets more homes? FCS or CBSSN?

6. Is there any cash exchanged from CBSSN to NCHC? (better be for thiese ridiculousy terms)

Thanks for your time jayson

1. We are prohibited from broadcasting regionally no matter who is featured as part of the doubleheader.

2-6. I have no idea.