SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Minnesota

AZSIOUX

Give me one good reason why the refs would want to consciously favor the Gophers over UND. I mean seriously you guys complain about the refs even before the series begins. It's just pathetic.

Guess the key word is conciously. If you are friends with many of the people around a program, you may think you can be completely impartial, but somehow friendships might play into it a bit. Once I see UND be the beneficiary of 4 missed checking from behinds in one weekend while Minnesota gets called on the only one they commit, then I'll be more apt to think it's just coincidence.

Guess the key word is conciously. If you are friends with many of the people around a program, you may think you can be completely impartial, but somehow friendships might play into it a bit. Once I see UND be the beneficiary of 4 missed checking from behinds in one weekend while Minnesota gets called on the only one they commit, then I'll be more apt to think it's just coincidence.

with as brutal as our 5 min pp was on fri night I am apt to just quit complaining about cfb penalties. and it just wasn't fri night either. it seems that if und does get a 5 min pp it is pissed away while you watch other teams use it to their full advantage.

it might not be as bad as we think but there is a difference in penalties called and pp's at the mooch. over the last 10 years there have been 14 games played in minneapolis and in those UND has had 64 pp's and the goophs 92 for an average of plus 2 pp's for the goophs per game. however those stats are inflated by three games in which minny had 10, 11 and 12 powerplays. the biggest discrepancy was ironically in 2007 when we swept them down there and minny had 23 pp's to UND's 8 for the weekend.

I wasn't gonna bring it up but I remember that wewkend well. Campion was the ref, can't remember the other refs but every time the sioux got up by 2 goals there just happened to be a penalty called on them, and I think that was the series Bina scored that 180ft goal. If penaltys are called fairly and the sioux play like crap and loose I'm fine with that but I'll believe it when I see it!

Ah yes Stu Bickel, a waste of skin that's only redeeming quality is that he will fight... Notice when the playoffs rolled around Bickel was either on the bench or in the stands because he was a defensive liability. "Good" players can fight and play.

Stu Prickel was one of the biggest pieces of work that ever pulled on a Minnesota sweater. I can still see him standing behind Lucia, yelling at our players "No Class, No *bleeping* Class!". :silly: Part of me wants The Human Bulldozer (MacWilliam) to demolish one of those Rodent hit and hide hacks in a fight, but he's just too valuable to lose to a game disqualification. A four point weekend would hurt them much worse. GO SIOUX!!!

with as brutal as our 5 min pp was on fri night I am apt to just quit complaining about cfb penalties. and it just wasn't fri night either. it seems that if und does get a 5 min pp it is pissed away while you watch other teams use it to their full advantage.

I think a lot of teams that get them early on in the game don't bear down and think they have all the time in the world, and therefore aren't as focused. I am sure getting one late in the third when you are behind, kind of forces you to bear down a little more. Having said that, I would hope that would be a point of emphasis from the coaches to bear down whenever there is a five minute powerplay, because if you have a horrible 5-minute powerplay, the other team gains so much momentum and confidence that the result of the poor execution could cost you more than just no goals.

If a high percentage of these games this weekend are played 5x5, UND will have the edge. If the games are what they normally are vs. UM, games dominated by special teams play, that will favor the Gophs.

Would love to see Helgeson or Serratore destroy Rocco in a corner this weekend, get a corner named much like Kevin's corner up in Grand Forks.

He is 5'2" with skates on and faster than any of your Dmen...good luck with that one.

I expect a big weekend from Rocco. He looked ok Friday vs. CC, but looked drained Saturday. He has another gear that he'll use on the big ice.

I would bet and hope that we get Derek Shepherd and Marco Hunt this weekend. They are far and away the best tandem the league has to offer, which is sad..... Mousseaux and Morrison would be my 2nd choice.

Brad Shepherd, Todd Andeson, and Don Adam need to be as far away from the John as possible.

You can pretty much take it to the bank that it'll be Shep and Hunt.

Would love to see Helgeson or Serratore destroy Rocco in a corner this weekend, get a corner named much like Kevin's corner up in Grand Forks.

If they can catch him at some point good luck. Kevin's earned the hell out of that nickname at the Ralph! Got destroyed twice. Keep those heads on a swivel

After all these years of watching the games, I guess I sort of pick up on things. Shepard is a gopher fan....fact. I don't know if Campion refs anymore but I knew is nephew in college and he also said he was a gopher fan. It is what is it...we've dealt with it and won many times before so I'm not overly worried about it. I was simply trying to make a prediction....we'll see if I'm right or not.

I think it's time to put "the refs are out to get us" schtick to bed.

Out of curiousity I went back and looked at the box scores from the past 3 seasons of UND-MN WCHA matchups. I didn't use the NCAA's because presumably the WCHA ref conspiracy doesn't apply to out of conference refs. One interesting thing is that except for one series, all of the games have been officiated by Shepard and Hunt. Adam and Walsh had the lone exception.

Here are the power plays, starting with the first series in 2010:

MN 0-5 Shepard/Hunt

UND 2-6

MN 0-4 Shepard/Hunt

UND 2-6

MN 0-5

UND 0-2 Shepard/Hunt

MN 3-4

UND 0-3 Shepard/Hunt

MN 0-3 Shepard/Hunt

UND 2-6

MN 2-6 Shepard/Hunt

UND 2-6

MN 0-6 Shepard/Hunt

UND 0-6

MN 1-7 Shepard/Hunt

UND 0-7

MN 0-7

UND 1-5 Shepard/Hunt

MN 0-4

UND 0-3 Adam/Walsh

MN 1-3 Adam/Walsh

UND 1-6

MN 2-4

UND 1-1 Shepard/Hunt

So what do we see? 5 games where MN had the pp advantage, 4 games where UND did, 3 where they were equal.

58 power plays for MN, 57 for UND.

If the actual facts show anything it's that for at least the last 3 years between these two teams, Shepard, Hunt, Adam and Walsh have believed pretty strongly in the "marble" theory of officiating.

He is 5'2" with skates on and faster than any of your Dmen...good luck with that one.

I expect a big weekend from Rocco. He looked ok Friday vs. CC, but looked drained Saturday. He has another gear that he'll use on the big ice.

Saturday of last year at Mariucci he was probably the best player on the ice.

Its unfortunate that Mac has been sought out by the officials like he has been. Talk about good old fashioned physical hockey going out the door. A big hit is now unfortunately a penalty for him. You can tell how frustrated he is by it as well. I think the player falling down near him was another case of, "what are they going to call on me now?"

To be honest, If I we're a Dman of Mac's size, or any physical defenseman at all, I would never come to the WCHA or college hockey. What's the point? Most guys you check you will get called for CTH because they are smaller then you. You will get penalties with clean hits because its too physical. This is exactly what happened to Matt Greene when he was here as well. Good strong physical hockey and absolute bogus penalty calls because a guy gets hit to hard, gets banged up a little bit, or fakes a hit to the head and lays on the ice for 4 minutes, then comes out and scores a PP goal 19 seconds later. Its complete bull. If they are going to take all these delays to call these 5 minute penalties, discuss them for 5 minutes, swear at the players in unprofessional manner, then the least they could do is at least review it to make sure a game changing penalty call is correct.

Out of curiousity I went back and looked at the box scores from the past 3 seasons of UND-MN WCHA matchups. I didn't use the NCAA's because presumably the WCHA ref conspiracy doesn't apply to out of conference refs. One interesting thing is that except for one series, all of the games have been officiated by Shepard and Hunt. Adam and Walsh had the lone exception.

Why are you letting facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory?!

Saturday of last year at Mariucci he was probably the best player on the ice.

And that was on one good wheel, but UND can't play race horse hockey and have a chance. They need to dump pucks deep, grind and wear down UM Dman. Kristo will be one of the 3 best players both nights. Rocco will be one in one of those games as well...split.

MN 0-5 Shepard/Hunt

UND 2-6

MN 0-4 Shepard/Hunt

UND 2-6

MN 0-5

UND 0-2 Shepard/Hunt

MN 3-4

UND 0-3 Shepard/Hunt

MN 0-3 Shepard/Hunt

UND 2-6

MN 2-6 Shepard/Hunt

UND 2-6

MN 0-6 Shepard/Hunt

UND 0-6

MN 1-7 Shepard/Hunt

UND 0-7

MN 0-7

UND 1-5 Shepard/Hunt

MN 0-4

UND 0-3 Adam/Walsh

MN 1-3 Adam/Walsh

UND 1-6

MN 2-4

UND 1-1 Shepard/Hunt

So what do we see? 5 games where MN had the pp advantage, 4 games where UND did, 3 where they were equal.

58 power plays for MN, 57 for UND.

If the actual facts show anything it's that for at least the last 3 years between these two teams, Shepard, Hunt, Adam and Walsh have believed pretty strongly in the "marble" theory of officiating.

Except last year, North Dakota was a quite a bit better than Minnesota those other years, so you would expect a bigger disparity in penalties. My biggest problem isn't so much about the minor penalties as there are bad calls here and there each way, it is the huge inconsistency in the majors being called since the five minute major went into effect. Definitely would like to see those stats against all competition.

He was that night. Sniped his 1st career goal and a fun game to be at as it went back and forth.

He sure did. Glove side was Patterson's weakness while it's a strength for Wilcox. I honestly believe Wilcox would have made that save as he has the quickest glove of any Gopher goalie I've ever seen including Stauber.