SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Minnesota

AZSIOUX

Except last year, North Dakota was a quite a bit better than Minnesota those other years, so you would expect a bigger disparity in penalties. My biggest problem isn't so much about the minor penalties as there are bad calls here and there each way, it is the huge inconsistency in the majors being called since the five minute major went into effect. Definitely would like to see those stats against all competition.

That's been the biggest problem in the WCHA for a while, even though you see the same refs all the time you never know how tight they are going to call it from game to game, usually you get a feel for an official if you have them enough, but it's a crapshoot almost every time lately. And not just from a UND standpoint, it's for everybody.

He sure did. Glove side was Patterson's weakness while it's a strength for Wilcox. I honestly believe Wilcox would have made that save as he has the quickest glove of any Gopher goalie I've ever seen including Stauber.

I knew this was coming. Every freshman goaltender for the Gophers is hailed as "the next Stauber". Adam "Doogie" Hauser was. Jeff "Long Island" Frazee was. Kellen "Five Hole" Briggs was. Alex "How's my goaltending?" Kangas was. Only Kent Patterson came close to being the shut-down goaltender that the Gophers haven't had since Stauber. Whether Wilcox can sustain his current level of success beyond his freshman year is the question. A lot of freshman goaltenders come into the league and are lights-out their freshman year. Then, as teams watch game tape and find some weaknesses and tendencies, they struggle as sophomores. A lot of us hailed J.P. Lamoreaux as TNK, The Next Karl (Goehring). While Lamoreaux had a solid career, he didn't rise to the level of Goehring, whom I rank right up with Belfour and Casey in the annals of UND goaltenders. Time will tell how Wilcox measures up with the great Gopher netminders of the past.

I knew this was coming. Every freshman goaltender for the Gophers is hailed as "the next Stauber". Adam "Doogie" Hauser was. Jeff "Long Island" Frazee was. Kellen "Five Hole" Briggs was. Alex "How's my goaltending?" Kangas was. Only Kent Patterson came close to being the shut-down goaltender that the Gophers haven't had since Stauber. Whether Wilcox can sustain his current level of success beyond his freshman year is the question. A lot of freshman goaltenders come into the league and are lights-out their freshman year. Then, as teams watch game tape and find some weaknesses and tendencies, they struggle as sophomores. A lot of us hailed J.P. Lamoreaux as TNK, The Next Karl (Goehring). While Lamoreaux had a solid career, he didn't rise to the level of Goehring, whom I rank right up with Belfour and Casey in the annals of UND goaltenders. Time will tell how Wilcox measures up with the great Gopher netminders of the past.

Good points. But I've seen enough of him to know he has the quickest glove I've seen for a Gopher goalie, thats all I'm saying.

And that was on one good wheel, but UND can't play race horse hockey and have a chance. They need to dump pucks deep, grind and wear down UM Dman. Kristo will be one of the 3 best players both nights. Rocco will be one in one of those games as well...split.

I actually like our speed at F vs UMTC D-men on the big pond.. Gain the zone wide with speed and work plays from the goal-line. Lot's of puck possession.

patterson barely played early in his career so I wouldn't put him on that list. but as far as wilcox goes,his numbers speak for themselves. I can see a "hot goaltender" excuse being used at least one this weekend and it would probably be a legit excuse as well. the goophs do have the advantage at goaltender heading into this weekend. the key is getting an early goal beacuse as the game goes onthis kid gets better and so does the rest of the team. UND has to survive the first 10 minutes on friday night to have a chance.

Would love to see Helgeson or Serratore destroy Rocco in a corner this weekend, get a corner named much like Kevin's corner up in Grand Forks.

Good luck with that, those slow footed hacks have trouble keeping the opposition in front of them, especially Helgeson.

patterson barely played early in his career so I wouldn't put him on that list. but as far as wilcox goes,his numbers speak for themselves. I can see a "hot goaltender" excuse being used at least one this weekend and it would probably be a legit excuse as well. the goophs do have the advantage at goaltender heading into this weekend. the key is getting an early goal beacuse as the game goes onthis kid gets better and so does the rest of the team. UND has to survive the first 10 minutes on friday night to have a chance.

Isn't this the case every time we go down there?

Also, if Saunders plays well and we get back to covering the front of our own net, we'll be just fine on the defensive end. We did a good job vs. Denver and they are also good up front.

Isn't this the case every time we go down there?

Also, if Saunders plays well and we get back to covering the front of our own net, we'll be just fine on the defensive end. We did a good job vs. Denver and they are also good up front.

"get back to"...when did this ever start this season???

Slow footed? :D Have you seen the Gophers defensive stats? Better than UND's in every category.

A lot of teams in the league have better defensive stats than we do; which is something all of us are worried about. But we have the potential to play much better in our own end if we can just pull it together as a unit. Whether it happens or not is anybody's guess.

The more I think about this matchup the more confident I feel. I don't think there is any way we go in there and get swept. I think we can cause them a lot of problems in their defensive zone and don't think they have really been tested in a few areas yet. I think we can establish a good cycle against guys like Reilly, Marshall, and Schmidt and think they can be exposed in their defensive zone. It seems like their d-men are a lot of offensive d-men and I really question how well they can play in the corners when a team tests them with that.

We started the season poorly in this area, got better before Christmas and have regressed again. We did fine when we picked up three of four points vs. Denver at home. If we can get back to that, we should do fine.

Relax. The Falcons lost to the Panthers at home and everyone wrote them off...then they came out a week later and throttled the Giants 34-0. Momentum's a fickle mistress...maybe the Sioux can catch her this weekend.

Ah yes Stu Bickel, a waste of skin that's only redeeming quality is that he will fight... Notice when the playoffs rolled around Bickel was either on the bench or in the stands because he was a defensive liability. "Good" players can fight and play.

Not only is that not the topic (which is you always arguing he's a wuss), but Bickel played in every game that season including the playoffs - something only 6 others from that same roster can match.

Not only is that not the topic (which is you always arguing he's a wuss), but Bickel played in every game that season including the playoffs - something only 6 others from that same roster can match.

Bickel is a hack and he sat on the bench during the playoffs. go check his minutes.

Would love to see Helgeson or Serratore destroy Rocco in a corner this weekend, get a corner named much like Kevin's corner up in Grand Forks.

The one time Rocco really had his head down this year and looked like he would get run over, he put 6'1 205 pound senior Sean Escobedo of BU right on his butt.

Bickel is a hack and he sat on the bench during the playoffs. go check his minutes.

Will you ever stop moving the goalposts? First he was a wuss which is verifiably false given his fight history in juniors and in the pros, then it was he sat in the stands in the playoffs which is false given stats prove he played in every game that year (something only a handful of other players did) including an assist against Denver in the WCHA final, now you're going to argue his minutes were limited. Keep swinging, Goon.

Will you ever stop moving the goalposts? First he was a wuss which is verifiably false given his fight history in juniors and in the pros, then it was he sat in the stands in the playoffs which is false given stats prove he played in every game that year (something only a handful of other players did) including an assist against Denver in the WCHA final, now you're going to argue his minutes were limited. Keep swinging, Goon.

I could be wrong, but I think Goon was referring to the NHL playoff's this past year, at least that is what I comprehended.

• Upvote 1