SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

My heart wants to throw the entire coaching staff under the bus and call them unqualified to coach at this level. But I won't.....And you're right, comment about Housley's kid deleted.....

I do suppose we should really reserve judgement until the tourney is over. It's not like we we had our doors blown off by Canada and Russia.

I've thought the same thing. Potulny and Osieki (sp) have a bit of experience, but how did Housley end up as the head coach of the most elite 20 and under players in the United States.

Good stuff! Maybe this Phil Housley character isn't such a bad coach after all.

Ha ha.....I was thinking the same thing the whole time. There two losses were against great teams and we played two tough/good games against them. I think Housley has done a fine job building this team. I wish Schmaltz was on it though.

His players are making him look very smart, indeed.

They were making him look dumb after we lost two games in pool play and our top line was invisible for the first 3 games of the tournament.

If we lose tomorrow, maybe we will change our opinion of him again.

I read that....they are throwing Subban under the bus.

Ok, for all of you Rocco fans that watch him exclusely during the game; what did you think of his game? So obviously he has a super motor and mad skills....but does he make some pretty dangerous passes? I didn't notice it as much early but he had 2-3 dangerous passes....one which Strome (I believe) took in for a break away. He also had some nice (fancy) passes but I think that's what Housley is talking about....those super dangerous passes where the other team goes directly on a 2-1 or 3-1. Just some food for thought...I really didn't notice it as much during Sioux games.

Watched again for these dangerous passes and can't find them. The two that Hradek rips on are good high perentage attempts in the US offensive end (both in the first period), one that, if Biggs had any hockey sense at all, would have jumped into the open area in front of the net and the pass would have created a great scoring chance and probably a goal, and the second, a backhand pass attempt to a dman jumping down from the blue line that clipped a Canadian skate and deflected away. Neither created a Canadian chance the other way, but could easily have created another US goal.

And Rocco was great in the third period, especially when Canada was pressuring and controlling the play against the other 2 lines. On the first shift for that line during that Canadian domination, the line kept the puck in the Canadian end for the entire shift, and Rocco made two super passes from the boards, one to Trocheck, one to the the US dman on that side of the ice, resulting in two great scoring chances.

Once Hradek started his Rocco bashing in the first period, when after that there was plenty good to say about is efforts, Hradek said nothing, instead apparently looking for the next "hope" pass, which never came from Rocco, but came dozens of times from other US and Canadian players over the course of the game. The play by play guy mentioned those and another couple great defensive plays he made, with no comment from Hradek.

I'm the first one to eat crow when its presented before me on a platter, so I'll do so. Housley is obviously pushing the right buttons, and they got it together at the right time.

Just think, this team faced a one and done with Slovakia Monday, and on Friday here they sit preparing for the gold medal game. Funny how sports work.

While I'm eating crow I better throw out an atta boy to Gibson. His performance against Finland left a lot to be desired, but he has been absolutely amazing since that game. Canada easily could have got back in that game, but he made sure it didn't happen.

The gold medal game will be like the Final Five without the gophers. In this case we'll have a lot of fans cheering for Sweden that aren't wearing blue and gold.

Where are the USA CHL teams & how do we get one at the Ralph :silly:

The WHL has a "US Division" that consists of the Portland Winterhawks, Spokane Chiefs, Tri-City Americans, Seattle Thunderbirds and the Everett Silvertips. The OHL has the Plymouth Whalers and Saginaw Spirit, both in Michigan. I believe that's it.

Watched again for these dangerous passes and can't find them. The two that Hradek rips on are good high perentage attempts in the US offensive end (both in the first period), one that, if Biggs had any hockey sense at all, would have jumped into the open area in front of the net and the pass would have created a great scoring chance and probably a goal, and the second, a backhand pass attempt to a dman jumping down from the blue line that clipped a Canadian skate and deflected away. Neither created a Canadian chance the other way, but could easily have created another US goal.

And Rocco was great in the third period, especially when Canada was pressuring and controlling the play against the other 2 lines. On the first shift for that line during that Canadian domination, the line kept the puck in the Canadian end for the entire shift, and Rocco made two super passes from the boards, one to Trocheck, one to the the US dman on that side of the ice, resulting in two great scoring chances.

Once Hradek started his Rocco bashing in the first period, when after that there was plenty good to say about is efforts, Hradek said nothing, instead apparently looking for the next "hope" pass, which never came from Rocco, but came dozens of times from other US and Canadian players over the course of the game. The play by play guy mentioned those and another couple great defensive plays he made, with no comment from Hradek.

I noticed the commentator did seem to have a particular disdain for Grimaldi moreso than other players who also made questionable plays....

His players are making him look very smart, indeed.

They were making him look dumb after we lost two games in pool play and our top line was invisible for the first 3 games of the tournament.

If we lose tomorrow, maybe we will change our opinion of him again.

LOL...yep, the true measure of coaching genius is how your team plays in the preliminary rounds. And certainly, one-goal losses to Russia and Canada call for Housley and staff to be publicly flogged as punishment. Sheesh...tough crowd.

Win or lose tomorrow, this tournament was a success for Team USA.

LOL...yep, the true measure of coaching genius is how your team plays in the preliminary rounds. And certainly, one-goal losses to Russia and Canada call for Housley and staff to be publicly flogged as punishment. Sheesh...tough crowd.

Win or lose tomorrow, this tournament was a success for Team USA.

The results have indeed been good for the U.S., but one still has to question how someone with Housley's limited coaching pedigree was given the reigns of the U.S. World Junior team. Was it on name recognition, or his job coaching Stillwater High School. Am I missing some experience somewhere? Again, it has turned out quite well, so someone obviously saw something, but it doesn't mean the question can't / shouldn't be asked.

• Upvote 3

Let's face it, a lot of the unbelievable passes that we see even on the professional level that the announcers laud, are just blind attempts hoping that someone is there or decided to jump in a hole. To say otherwise is disingenuous, so to jump all over Rocco for a few blind passes deep in the offensive end seems to be over the top, especially when the announcers would be the first to overemphasize a great pass that was just blind luck. Again, if this pass was done at the offensive blueline or in the defensive end, I can see the need to criticize a bit.

The results have indeed been good for the U.S., but one still has to question how someone with Housley's limited coaching pedigree was given the reigns of the U.S. World Junior team. Was it on name recognition, or his job coaching Stillwater High School. Am I missing some experience somewhere? Again, it has turned out quite well, so someone obviously saw something, but it doesn't mean the question can't / shouldn't be asked.

Very well put. I was shocked to see some "cities HS coach" get this assignment, regardless of his NHL career. I have never heard of Stillwater hockey, perhaps if he came from an Edina or another school I had heard of, it wouldn't have been as bad.

That said, this team (however it happened) is clicking bigtime! Gibson is a HUGE reason back there in the net.

So after one season of being an assistant coach at Minnesota and four years of being the head coach at Minot High School, was Dean Blais qualified enough to become an assistant coach for the University of North Dakota? We could debate qualifications all day long.

So after one season of being an assistant coach at Minnesota and four years of being the head coach at Minot High School, was Dean Blais qualified enough to become an assistant coach for the University of North Dakota? We could debate qualifications all day long.

We could, you are correct. It appears you have a certain affinity for Phil, care to share? Maybe some "inside scoop" would provide some clarification.

No it was more a success for Phil Housley. That guy's such a genius, man. Next Scotty Bowman. you heard it here first.

I'm picking up your sarcasm. Did Phil Housley run over your dog and drive off without stopping to see if it was ok or something? You sure have an aversion to a person who has represented the USA many times in his playing and coaching career...and done an outstanding job of being a fine representative for USA hockey.

We could, you are correct. It appears you have a certain affinity for Phil, care to share? Maybe some "inside scoop" would provide some clarification.

No affinity for Phil Housley at all and no "inside scoop" either. He can't win either way with some of you posters. Lose a preliminary game or two and you want him fired...get the team to the gold medal game and you give all of the credit to the players.

I was shocked to see some "cities HS coach" get this assignment, regardless of his NHL career. I have never heard of Stillwater hockey, perhaps if he came from an Edina or another school I had heard of, it wouldn't have been as bad.

So now the requirements have to include coaching schools you have heard of? Wow.

Stillwater recently handed #2-ranked Minnetonka its first loss of the season. Perhaps you've heard of that school.

So now the requirements have to include coaching schools you have heard of? Wow.

Stillwater recently handed #2-ranked Minnetonka its first loss of the season. Perhaps you've heard of that school.

Easy now...and no, I am not at all knowledgeable about the Twin Cities area HS teams. I know of Minnetonka as one of the endless suburbs I drive through on 494. Not a fan of HS sports, unless I know one of the kids playing. I do know, however, that East Grand Forks HS is the only undefeated team in the state.

Back on track: GO USA!!!

Easy now...and no, I am not at all knowledgeable about the Twin Cities area HS teams. I know of Minnetonka as one of the endless suburbs I drive through on 494. Not a fan of HS sports, unless I know one of the kids playing. I do know, however, that East Grand Forks HS is the only undefeated team in the state.

Back on track: GO USA!!!

Stillwater plays in the same section as Hill-Murray.

I guess I just don't understand the venom being spewed at Phil Housley. Someone felt he should be given a chance to coach this team (and being an assistant coach in '07 and '11 certainly showed he has interest in coaching at this level) and he's done a good job with a team not expected to medal at all.

I seem to recall lots of Sioux fans going nuts over 'high school coach' Dean Blais being picked to coach North Dakota back in the day. That worked out pretty well...

I guess I just don't understand the venom being spewed at Phil Housley. Someone felt he should be given a chance to coach this team (and being an assistant coach in '07 and '11 certainly showed he has interest in coaching at this level) and he's done a good job with a team not expected to medal at all.

I seem to recall lots of Sioux fans going nuts over 'high school coach' Dean Blais being picked to coach North Dakota back in the day. That worked out pretty well...

I don't know reasoning behind Housley's hire, but I did hear USA hockey liked his calm demeanor as a coach. There's obviously more to it than that, but that's part of it I am sure.

I think the surprise is more so with all the coaches that are available due to the lockout and previous college coaches that they would have a high school coach no matter what the school. Yes, he has previous experience as an assistant, but it is a big jump from being an assistant for two years and a high school coach(coaching younger and lower skilled players) to coaching the highest skilled kids from the country at that age.

I don't know Phil in anyway shape or form, I haven't followed enough of the games other than the Canada game and highlights that goon has posted on his site. I can't and won't rate him accurately as a coach. Doesn't mean that I'm not still surprised at the decision.

I think the surprise is more so with all the coaches that are available due to the lockout and previous college coaches that they would have a high school coach no matter what the school. Yes, he has previous experience as an assistant, but it is a big jump from being an assistant for two years and a high school coach(coaching younger and lower skilled players) to coaching the highest skilled kids from the country at that age.

I don't know Phil in anyway shape or form, I haven't followed enough of the games other than the Canada game and highlights that goon has posted on his site. I can't and won't rate him accurately as a coach. Doesn't mean that I'm not still surprised at the decision.

So along with the Canadian-born coaches listed earlier in this thread who may or may not have had any interest in coaching the American kids in this particular tournament, who would have been on your list of candidates?