SiouxSports.com Forum

Ducking Donny or Ducking Jerry?

kim

Ducking Donny choosing to end one of the greatest rivalries in College Hockey because UND plays too rough.....

Ducking Jerry choosing to not play North Carolina (NC) at a cost of $800K to the U of M because NC is too good.....

Which one is Ducking More???

Not at all surprised by Jerry Kill not wanting to play anyone...UM football is a joke and probably will be long after Kill and his bobos are fired...the alumni can't be happy with the chance to go to something.com bowl every 3-4 years...Gofer hockey; I'm sure we all expected more out of Donny Lucifer...I guess we should have expected less... :huh:

Not at all surprised by Jerry Kill not wanting to play anyone...UM football is a joke and probably will be long after Kill and his bobos are fired...the alumni can't be happy with the chance to go to something.com bowl every 3-4 years...Gofer hockey; I'm sure we all expected more out of Donny Lucifer...I guess we should have expected less... :huh:

I just can't get over how bad Gopher football continues to be, they have a pro team in the same city and the whole state to recruit from yet they can't land enough decent recruits to be competitive...their fans have to be beside themselves.

I just can't get over how bad Gopher football continues to be, they have a pro team in the same city and the whole state to recruit from yet they can't land enough decent recruits to be competitive...their fans have to be beside themselves.

..and they have a brand new stadium to boot...wtf?

Guys its not even close, its Lucia

And you try and be a coach that had to disaster that Brew left. If Kill wins 10 games next year no one will be whining about a cancelled series with the Tar Holes. Right now he has bigger issues to deal with with unforunately have nothing to do with Michigan State this week, but having to do with a headcase walk-on

And you try and be a coach that had to disaster that Brew left. If Kill wins 10 games next year no one will be whining about a cancelled series with the Tar Holes. Right now he has bigger issues to deal with with unforunately have nothing to do with Michigan State this week, but having to do with a headcase walk-on

true...but the guy was his best wideout if I recall...

Agreed - Lucia wins this one. Killing off a rivalry that both fanbases enjoy is just sad, especially when there seems to be no actual good reason for it. Down here in the Kansas City area, the same thing happened with Kansas and Missouri this year - Missouri moved to the SEC and now Bill Self and KU refuse to schedule them. That basketball rivalry is one of the biggest in the nation and those games are very similar in atmosphere to the UND/MN hockey series.

Agreed - Lucia wins this one. Killing off a rivalry that both fanbases enjoy is just sad, especially when there seems to be no actual good reason for it. Down here in the Kansas City area, the same thing happened with Kansas and Missouri this year - Missouri moved to the SEC and now Bill Self and KU refuse to schedule them. That basketball rivalry is one of the biggest in the nation and those games are very similar in atmosphere to the UND/MN hockey series.

Yep. This conference realignment is good stuff, isn't it?

UND will have to build new rivalries with DU, UMD instead of Minnesota & Wisconsin, and Montana State & Montana instead of NDSU & South Dakota. Same could happen with Kansas & K State if B1G goes after KU to get to 16 teams. Or how about Texas & Texas A&M?

How does having a pro team help? And the state of Minnesota is one of the worst in the country at producing Div 1 football players so both your points about why we should be better make no sense at all. Kill has the program on the right track after taking over the dumpster fire brewster left behind.

Ducking Donny choosing to end one of the greatest rivalries in College Hockey because UND plays too rough.....

Ducking Jerry choosing to not play North Carolina (NC) at a cost of $800K to the U of M because NC is too good.....

Which one is Ducking More???

It's not all Don Lucia's fault, folks. Don't think for one minute that Minnesota-Duluth, St Cloud State, Bemidji State and Mankato aren't all busy lobbying to keep Minnesota on the schedule as often as they can. Mankato even moved a HOME GAME last year to the Xcel Energy Center as a Maverick revenue-generator. The State of MN has always had a "Minnesota-first attitude" with respect to things and I for one am not surprised at all that UND will disappear from the Minnesota hockey schedule for probably quite some time.

If you believe that Don Lucia is happy about playing North Dakota once every ten years or so, you probably also believe Dave Hakstol REALLY feels the Sioux nickname had to go.

It's not all Don Lucia's fault, folks. Don't think for one minute that Minnesota-Duluth, St Cloud State, Bemidji State and Mankato aren't all busy lobbying to keep Minnesota on the schedule as often as they can. Mankato even moved a HOME GAME last year to the Xcel Energy Center as a Maverick revenue-generator. The State of MN has always had a "Minnesota-first attitude" with respect to things and I for one am not surprised at all that UND will disappear from the Minnesota hockey schedule.

I don't think anyone here is upset with the Goofers scheduling games against the other Minnesota teams. It is the scheduling of games against other non-rival out-of-state teams (Notre Dame, Northeastern, BC) instead of UND that has people upset.

• Upvote 2

It's not all Don Lucia's fault, folks. Don't think for one minute that Minnesota-Duluth, St Cloud State, Bemidji State and Mankato aren't all busy lobbying to keep Minnesota on the schedule as often as they can. Mankato even moved a HOME GAME last year to the Xcel Energy Center as a Maverick revenue-generator. The State of MN has always had a "Minnesota-first attitude" with respect to things and I for one am not surprised at all that UND will disappear from the Minnesota hockey schedule for probably quite some time.

If you believe that Don Lucia is happy about playing North Dakota once every ten years or so, you probably also believe Dave Hakstol REALLY feels the Sioux nickname had to go.

He said it himself that it is not a healthy rivalry and that it is probably good that it isn't every year. What more information do you want than out of the horses mouth himself?

How does having a pro team help? And the state of Minnesota is one of the worst in the country at producing Div 1 football players so both your points about why we should be better make no sense at all. Kill has the program on the right track after taking over the dumpster fire brewster left behind.

I would think having a pro team in the same sport in the same city would sway a few recruits that way, if football is currently the biggest part of their life that should be a selling point.

As far as them getting no help recruiting from Minnesota...what? You're telling me with 5 and a half million people in the state and one upper D1 football school they can't find enough players to make them competitive? Don't tell me there is none because Montana doesn't even have a million people in it and there are at least 8 guys playing in the NFL right now from here, so I don't buy that excuse for a minute.

EDIT: I just looked, there are 42 Minnesota kids on their roster and 30 are either freshman or sophomores, so apparently Kill is doing a better job of landing the top Minnesota recruits than Brewster did, which should help down the road. Brewster almost destroyed that program.

First and foremost......Big Ten football sucks. Anything non-conference they get destroyed and the two top finishers are both ineligable to play in a bowl. Second, the U of M athletic department is probably the worst D-1 program in the nation. Joel Maturi set that program back 50-years. What an idiot. Third, for Lucia not to schedule The Fighting Sioux is pure flat-out arrogance. Its in line with anything else that happens in Minneapolis-St.Paul. They (the residents and the university) think they are better than everyone else at ANYTHING in any part of the country and this is just an extension of that.

He said it himself that it is not a healthy rivalry and that it is probably good that it isn't every year. What more information do you want than out of the horses mouth himself?

I don't think anyone here is upset with the Goofers scheduling games against the other Minnesota teams. It is the scheduling of games against other non-rival out-of-state teams (Notre Dame, Northeastern, BC) instead of UND that has people upset.

Gee, hard to imagine why Don would want to put Notre Dame on the schedule, isn't it?

Why is no one at Minnesota complaining about not playing North Dakota every year? Could it possibly be that North Dakota NEEDS Minnesota on the schedule while Minnesota simply feels it can just schedule another big-name opponent to replace the Sioux and no one will lose any sleep over that decision?

And seriously, are people arguing why Minnesota could possibly want Notre Dame or Boston College on the schedule? Really? Who WOULDN'T want those two teams on their schedule?

Third, for Lucia not to schedule The Fighting Sioux is pure flat-out arrogance. Its in line with anything else that happens in Minneapolis-St.Paul. They (the residents and the university) think they are better than everyone else at ANYTHING in any part of the country and this is just an extension of that.

You're either drunk, really stupid, or 12 years old. Ive seen some serious inferiority complexes in my day but you should really talk to a professional about this.

First and foremost......Big Ten football sucks. Anything non-conference they get destroyed and the two top finishers are both ineligable to play in a bowl. Second, the U of M athletic department is probably the worst D-1 program in the nation. Joel Maturi set that program back 50-years. What an idiot. Third, for Lucia not to schedule The Fighting Sioux is pure flat-out arrogance. Its in line with anything else that happens in Minneapolis-St.Paul. They (the residents and the university) think they are better than everyone else at ANYTHING in any part of the country and this is just an extension of that.

LOL...another football 'fan' who wants to base the entire Big 10 Conference season on how Michigan played against Alabama in August.

Arrogance in scheduling or not, why are Sioux fans gnashing their teeth and wetting their bed over Minnesota's decision to not play the Sioux? Move on.

LOL...another football 'fan' who wants to base the entire Big 10 Conference season on how Michigan played against Alabama in August.

Arrogance in scheduling or not, why are Sioux fans gnashing their teeth and wetting their bed over Minnesota's decision to not play the Sioux? Move on.

I'm not quite sure what your angle is but are you really asking why Sioux fans are upset that perhaps the greatest college hockey rivalry is ending for the foreseeable future? While tDon shouldn't get all the blame, he certainly deserves some...

I'm not quite sure what your angle is but are you really asking why Sioux fans are upset that perhaps the greatest college hockey rivalry is ending for the foreseeable future? While tDon shouldn't get all the blame, he certainly deserves some...

Sioux fans look silly for crying and moaning about it...that's my angle.

"Hey Gophers, we got rid of our nickname...come play us....please? Pretty please with sugar on top?"

Why is no one at Minnesota complaining about not playing North Dakota every year? Could it possibly be that North Dakota NEEDS Minnesota on the schedule while Minnesota simply feels it can just schedule another big-name opponent to replace the Sioux and no one will lose any sleep over that decision?

And seriously, are people arguing why Minnesota could possibly want Notre Dame or Boston College on the schedule? Really? Who WOULDN'T want those two teams on their schedule?

Look at UND's attendance for games against teams not named Minnesota. I think we do just fine. Most gopher hockey fans I know of are upset that Minnesota is killing the rivalry.

........or maybe how Nebraska gives up almost 700 yards to UCLA and loses.....or how Illinois gets crushed by Arizona State and Louisiana Tech, Iowa loses to Iowa State, Central Michigan and barely beats Northern Illinois, .....or how Wisconsin loses to Oregon State....should I go on? Oh and I see now how they are really going to strengthen the conference now by adding Maryland and Rutgers!!! What a joke! The only good thing about that is that hopefully they will add more hockey teams to the conference.

I wouldn't say that UND absolutely NEEDS Minnesota on the schedule. UND currently leads the nation in attendance with home games against Manitoba, U.S. Under-18 Team, UAA, BU and UMD, and some of the top attended games in REA history were against teams not named the University of Minnesota so UND will be fine in that regard.

It's not a surpise that fans are upset to see an 85 year-old rivalry end (even if it's only for a few years). Some Gopher fans are just as upset as Sioux fans but obviously Sioux fans are more vocal about it.

Both schools are scheduling other big name teams over the next few years so they will be fine. Minnesota will renew its rivalry with Michigan and the Boston schools while UND will continue rivalries with Denver and Wisconsin, and possibly develop a rivlary with UMD. UND also has some Hockey East teams on future schedules. Plus, there's always a chance UM and UND will meet in the postseason.

Look at UND's attendance for games against teams not named Minnesota. I think we do just fine. Most gopher hockey fans I know of are upset that Minnesota is killing the rivalry.

Were we talking attendance? Attendance won't suffer a bit, however, UND hockey fans continue playing 'little brother' to Minnesota. Why can't we be like Texas A & M? Texas wants to bully the Big 12 around and A & M says 'hell with you guys.'

Do you think the Aggies regret leaving UT behind in the Big 12 now? Hmmnnn.....