SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana game

geaux_sioux

Actually UND fans complain more about not winning a FBS game than anyone.

Seriously Dan NDSU fans love to thow around their mighty record of FBS wins at UND because we have zero, well so does SDSU. But when I go to Bisonville (the only one not a member on), CS, or AGS I never see any Bison fans bashing the Jacks on their zero FBS wins. Do you think it really bothers us to have zero FBS wins? Obviously you don't need an FBS win to make the playoffs, you don't need a perfect transition like NDSU to have a good post-transition season hell you can lose to a DIII team during transition and make the playoffs in just your second year of eligibility (SDSU-first Dakota team to make it). So why no hate to them, just hate for us. You guys don't play us you play them but yet the boards are all hate towards UND and very, very little to SDSU even on game threads there is little bashing besides their stadium is all I have seen made. C'mon Dan they are your "rival" bash their FBS record and the teams they play.

• Upvote 1

I haven't contradicted myself at all. You obviously haven't followed FCS football for very long.

From 2006-2011 there were 520 FCS vs. FBS games. FCS teams won 37 of those games. This is a 7.1% winning percentage.

Over that same time period, NDSU had a 5-3 record against FBS competition. They won 5 of 8 games over that time, a 62.5% winning percentage. 2012 stats aren't included in the above stats but NDSU notched another win this year giving them a 6-3 record against FBS teams since 2006, or a 66.6% winning percentage. So from 2006 to 2011, NDSU accounted for 5 of the 37 FCS vs. FBS matchup wins. That's 13% of all the FCS vs. FBS wins.

So given the fact that from 2006-2011 FCS teams have a 7.1% winning percentage over FBS teams while NDSU enjoys a 62.5% winning percentage, I feel confident in saying that I am correct in saying that FBS wins for FCS teams are EXTREMELY RARE. But NDSU seems to buck that trend and IMO would have beaten most if not all of the FBS teams UND has played over the past few years.

Feel free to use facts this time if you want to say I am contradicting myself.

ndac: 1-11,3-9,3-9,5-7,4-8,6-7 and 1-6 to this point in the season 23-57 and one of the teams ac beat twice also lost another rare one to USD? That is like 3 out of 4 or 75% loss to FCS, and it should had been 100% but snuck one out against SDSU.

UND: 6-7,9-4,11-3,2-9,4-9,5-3 to this point in the season 37-35, so saying how rare it is to win aginst an FBS school, I would think that it is also very rare for a good FCS school to beat a winning FBS team. But according to you and your twist ac would have no problem.

Now I will give you that next year ac does have a daunting task with K State, they return alot, but by your numbers you should be favored going into the game?

ndac: 1-11,3-9,3-9,5-7,4-8,6-7 and 1-6 to this point in the season 23-57 and one of the teams ac beat twice also lost another rare one to USD? That is like 3 out of 4 or 75% loss to FCS, and it should had been 100% but snuck one out against SDSU.

UND: 6-7,9-4,11-3,2-9,4-9,5-3 to this point in the season 37-35, so saying how rare it is to win aginst an FBS school, I would think that it is also very rare for a good FCS school to beat a winning FBS team. But according to you and your twist ac would have no problem.

Now I will give you that next year ac does have a daunting task with K State, they return alot, but by your numbers you should be favored going into the game?

I've always thought the argument you're making is very interesting. Let me explain.

NDSU added losses to the teams' overall records. UND added wins. So let's say NDSU loses all those games and UND wins all of the games and see what happens to the teams' overall records.

Teams NDSU beat becomes 30-50 or a 37.5% winning percentage. If we change all those losses to wins.

Teams UND played becomes 31-41 or a 43% winning percentage, if we change all of the wins to losses.

Still think the teams you have played are that much better?

The difference is NDSU is adding losses to their records and UND is adding wins.

I've always thought the argument you're making is very interesting. Let me explain.

NDSU added losses to the teams' overall records. UND added wins. So let's say NDSU loses all those games and UND wins all of the games and see what happens to the teams' overall records.

Teams NDSU beat becomes 30-50 or a 37.5% winning percentage. If we change all those losses to wins.

Teams UND played becomes 31-41 or a 43% winning percentage, if we change all of the wins to losses.

Still think the teams you have played are that much better?

The difference is NDSU is adding losses to their records and UND is adding wins.

I've been sitting and watching this because it has been quite comical, but I just have to correct something here. The records that Sioux29 posted about the FCS teams that NDSU has beaten is incorrect. First of all, he listed 7 teams. NDSU has played 9 FBS teams and is 6-3 vs FBS teams. Second, he was close on the records, but assuming he meant to list the records of the teams that NDSU has beaten, you need to replace the 4-8 and 6-7 with an 8-6. Here are the correct records. 5-7, 1-11, 8-6, 3-9, 3-9, 1-6. Which is 21-48 (not 23-57 as he mentioned). Not sure if I believe the records that he posted about UND now, but I don't feel like checking.

I've been sitting and watching this because it has been quite comical, but I just have to correct something here. The records that Sioux29 posted about the FCS teams that NDSU has beaten is incorrect. First of all, he listed 7 teams. NDSU has played 9 FBS teams and is 6-3 vs FBS teams. Second, he was close on the records, but assuming he meant to list the records of the teams that NDSU has beaten, you need to replace the 4-8 and 6-7 with an 8-6. Here are the correct records. 5-7, 1-11, 8-6, 3-9, 3-9, 1-6. Which is 21-48 (not 23-57 as he mentioned). Not sure if I believe the records that he posted about UND now, but I don't feel like checking.

Thanks for the correction.

So with the correct numbers listed the argument is even stronger in NDSU's favor of playing a similar caliber of FBS teams as UND has.

Change the teams' records to 27-42, which becomes a 39% winning percentage.

Assuming his numbers are correct the teams UND played have a 43% winning percentage as opposed to 39% for NDSU's FBS teams

And if you really want to get technical about it. Two of those wins were against Minnesota, who then had to turn around and play the Big Ten schedule. Slightly tougher than playing the WAC or MWC schedule.

SDSU this year is significantly better than Fresno last year, yet UND hung with SDSU this year. I would like to know why you think NDSU would be able to win a game against SDSU this year.

http://nationalsportsrankings.com/index.php?option=com_oneonone

The computer predictions using SDSU as the Home team and NDSU as the away team have NDSU winning 68 times out of 100 based on stats/scenarios (I ran it a few more times as well and it varied from 60 to 70 percent). Is that a guarantee? No. But it does give some insight as to why it is not just NDSU fans believing in their team, it is the stats and computer models as well.

http://nationalsport...on=com_oneonone

The computer predictions using SDSU as the Home team and NDSU as the away team have NDSU winning 68 times out of 100 based on stats/scenarios (I ran it a few more times as well and it varied from 60 to 70 percent). Is that a guarantee? No. But it does give some insight as to why it is not just NDSU fans believing in their team, it is the stats and computer models as well.

WE DON'T CARE!!! LOCK THIS THREAD UP!

Wow, give an answer to a direct question... get screamed at.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I think UND v NDSU would be a closer game than anyone in Fargo (or Grand Forks maybe) would ever admit. It pains me to say that as a Bison fan, but I am a realist and I know that games don't always go as they should (see ISU).

You clearly do not speak for the entire UND fanbase as it was a UND fan who first brought it up and many other UND fans who continued to try and perpetuate a false notion.

post #395 started it....and my response (post # 398) exploded everything.

Huh, just got home and was looking at the Montana/UND game thread UND/NDSU peter-measuring thread and was wondering about the 29 pages...now it makes sense.

Looks like it was an entertaining game back and forth, I know our secondary is bad but really...660 yards? That is pathetic. Will be interesting to see if MSU can slow down the UND passing game, they haven't been playing that impressively lately and McGhee has been rattled before in close games so they have a chance.

Long year for the Griz, the only thing left now for us is the Cat/Griz game, can salvage some dignity by knocking them off.

Moving into hockey mode...

post #395 started it....and my response (post # 398) exploded everything.

Sorry Darrell but your post is the one that ignited this debate and hijacked the thread. A word of advice, next time ignore the troll...

I say the mods lock this thread and if people still want to talk about the Montana game, they can start up a "Montana Post-Game" thread.

http://nationalsport...on=com_oneonone

And I just ran NDSU as the home team and Indiana State as the road team and it has NDSU winning 100% of the time based on stats/scenarios. Your little website, while fun, means absolutely nothing.

Edit: I ran it 4 more times and every time was 100% for NDSU.

And I just ran NDSU as the home team and Indiana State as the road team and it has NDSU winning 100% of the time based on stats/scenarios. Your little website, while fun, means absolutely nothing.

What?? College football games aren't decided by by web sites? You can't predict the outcomes of football games based on odds and rankings? I'm shocked, shocked I say.

So what do you propose is a good way to objectively decide who "should" win a football game?

Do fanbases just get to randomly claim they would beat a team and then use examples like Indiana St. over NDSU to justify it?

All sports have upsets, him using that site is an objective way to determine how good teams are and he was using it in response to someone else asking what makes him think NDSU would beat SDSU(aztecs).

What?? College football games aren't decided by by web sites? You can't predict the outcomes of football games based on odds and rankings? I'm shocked, shocked I say.

With a reasonable amount of certainty sure you can. More often than not the team that is supposed to win does, that why when they don't it's called an upset.

There is an entire industry based on people betting on odds and rankings. There is a reason vegas is rarely far off on spreads.

So what do you propose is a good way to objectively decide who "should" win a football game?

Personally, the ways I find best are either:

- have pictures of the game referee in bed with his mistress and threaten to send them to his wife

or

- walk past the game officials' pre-game meal table and drop a bulging envelope while saying "straight cash, homey" ;)

Oh.

Wait.

You meant hypothetically, not what's worked in the past.

;)

Signed,

A proponent of the idea that UND should change it's moniker to "The Mafia" ... Capiche?

With a reasonable amount of certainty sure you can. More often than not the team that is supposed to win does, that why when they don't it's called an upset.

There is an entire industry based on people betting on odds and rankings. There is a reason vegas is rarely far off on spreads.

No, you can't actually predict the outcomes of games. If you could they wouldn't play the games. Not even Vegas gets them all right.

You want a good way to figure out who's going to win a game. PLAY THE GAME!!! And quit trying to tell us how to think about your beloved hairy beasts.

Do fanbases just get to randomly claim they would beat a team and then use examples like Indiana St. over NDSU to justify it?

Yes. They do. You don't get to control what people want to think, especially when you're not on your own forum. If you want to control what people think, or deal with people that think like you, go back to Bville.
  • Upvote 2