SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana game

geaux_sioux

Half serious with this......should we ever punt? The field position strategy is out the window with this defense. We just have to assume the other team is probably going to score every time they get the ball so the only factors to consider are how many yards they have to move the ball and how much time they will take off the clock.

• Upvote 1

Montana will throw the ball a minimal number of times.....

Wasn't that what was said about N. Arizona and they passed for 363 yards and 4 touchdowns? Montana has our tape of the games we have played. You don't need a lights out passer to be successful against our secondary. I anticipate Montana to pass plenty of times on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

If the team doesn't go at least 3-1 in these last games this season will have to go down as one of the all time great failures in UND history.

Coming off last season's success, with new additions and the talent returning...no argument here.

Coming off last season's success, with new additions and the talent returning...no argument here.

It's becoming very apparent how good that last crop of 'D2' defenders were at tackling and also how clutch Goska was. The guy couldn't throw to save his life for 3 quarters and then the 4th would roll around with the team having their collective backs against the wall and he would always mount a late charge. It wasn't always enough to win (Poly game Bradley dug too deep a hole for him) but more than not it was. He was one of the best leaders I've seen under center at UND even with such a small sample.

If the team doesn't go at least 3-1 in these last games this season will have to go down as one of the all time great failures in UND history.

Don't agree with this one. We were close late in the game against Cal Poly and NAU. 2 years ago what would any of us have thought our chances would be against the top FCS teams in the country in our first year of eligibility? Montana and SUU will be tough games and losses there won't mean the team was a huge let down.

Our defense, on the other hand, was a let down and some changes need to be made there.

Agree. After that deep throw on third and one I look over and said. Hmm that was an interesting call. They did have a good call on what was I believe the last und scoring drive where they ran it after the TO. And I liked the onside kick call.

Terrible call on 3rd and 1. Could be said that that call more than anything else cost us the game.

Last season's success was against a much softer schedule. Do you think we would have beat Sac State, Portland State, or been able to play with SDSU last year?

Exactly, last years team would have had no chance against this years schedule. About 50 percent of the time last season our offense was borderline inept ie. Sioux falls- uc davis. Our defense last year wasnt all that either, look at that South Dakota game, we just made enough plays late, plus they fumbled a late kickoff. Plus having Black Hills State, Sioux Falls, Montana Western on the schedule was good for 3 wins. Just because they finished with an 8 and 3 record doesn't mean that they would have fared any better against this years schedule. Especially, the D, we gave up 40 to a very average to bad Idaho team, heck even Northern Colorado who could barely score on their own shadow last season put up 25. I just think trying to use last years team to compare it to this years is going down the wrong path of comparison.

Terrible call on 3rd and 1. Could be said that that call more than anything else cost us the game.

It wasn't the obvious call. Just because the result wasn't great because Golladay didn't run the route properly doesn't mean it was a bad call. The same could be said about that 4th and 1 call against usd, only it worked out.

Exactly, last years team would have had no chance against this years schedule. About 50 percent of the time last season our offense was borderline inept ie. Sioux falls- uc davis. Our defense last year wasnt all that either, look at that South Dakota game, we just made enough plays late, plus they fumbled a late kickoff. Plus having Black Hills State, Sioux Falls, Montana Western on the schedule was good for 3 wins. Just because they finished with an 8 and 3 record doesn't mean that they would have fared any better against this years schedule. Especially, the D, we gave up 40 to a very average to bad Idaho team, heck even Northern Colorado who could barely score on their own shadow last season put up 25. I just think trying to use last years team to compare it to this years is going down the wrong path of comparison.

Last years run defense was phenomenal. Against d1 teams. Sdsu wouldn't have scored as many points but neither would last years team. Same story against Poly and Sac St and NAU. I'm not saying they would've won but the d wouldn't get run over. Pass defense was the same.

It wasn't the obvious call. Just because the result wasn't great because Golladay didn't run the route properly doesn't mean it was a bad call. The same could be said about that 4th and 1 call against usd, only it worked out.

I have no problem with the call on 3rd and 1 if you are planning on going for it on 4th down.

It wasn't the obvious call. Just because the result wasn't great because Golladay didn't run the route properly doesn't mean it was a bad call.

It's a terrible call if Muss had no intention of going for it on 4th down...which obviously he didn't. I can see taking a shot on a low %, high reward throw if you are going to back that play up w a 4th down go for it call. Like many have said...as it played out it was a bad call and typical Muss mismanagement.

Maybe this is just a learning experience. Even good teams out of the GWFC (NDSU) struggled early in a "real" conference. We do need major improvements on defense in the offseason whether its getting rid of Mannausau or not something has to change before playing Valpo in September.

Last years run defense was phenomenal. Against d1 teams.

You are right. Just looked it up.

Last year, North Dakota gave up 83 rushing yards per game against DI schools.

This year, they're giving up 263 yards per game on the ground to schools not named South Dakota School of Mines.

So, what's the problem?......................

It's a terrible call if Muss had no intention of going for it on 4th down...which obviously he didn't. I can see taking a shot on a low %, high reward throw if you are going to back that play up w a 4th down go for it call. Like many have said...as it played out it was a bad call and typical Muss mismanagement.

Yeah, yeah, we get it........................ you can't stand Mussman.

Did I miss anything else?

I expect this game to play out alot like the Northern Arizona game. We will score alot, and they will score alot via big runs.

Whoever creates more turnovers at the end of the game will probably be the winner. Braden Hanson is gonna get sacked at least 4 times. Hopefully he completes enough 2 yard passes to offset this. I don't expect UND to have a big day running the ball against the Griz, so the passing game going to have to click to keep it close.

As far as attendance.....................I'll say 9,300 or so. If we can't crack 10,000 for Potato Bowl or Homecoming, no way will there be over 10,000 for this game.................

Considering the hype coming into this season, this year is already a disappointment. Also, the defense is horrid and if it were at least in the middle of the pack in the Big Sky, we may have two more wins against Cal Poly and Northern Arizona. This game will be exactly like the Northern Arizona game, but I see a win because Montana doesn't have a big name stud like NAU's Bauman. Changes need to be made this offseason- the defense is just not where it needs to be in order for UND to compete at the top of the conference.

UND 41

Montana 35

Never thought he was a good fit as a HC. Still don't. He seems way in over his head at this level. D2 OC...fine. FCS HC...nope. If UND has him thru 2015...5-6 and 6-5 will be the norm.

If you think he is doing a decent job this season and has to date as HC you are in the minority.

There are very very few fans of Muss in my season ticket holder section...and that's being generous.

Mussman is not a good head coach, and this season's progress and situation is not the tipping point. It's just hard to ask for a guy to get fired when he's coming off an 8-3 season (of course, the schedule was a joke).

Mussman DOES NOT possess the fire, passion, and leadership a head coach requires to motivate his football team. His demeanor will not get it done. Compare his attitude to other quality coaches....no comparison. Lennon had a fire to him and could lead a team. Hate to credit anyone from the Ag school, but it's hard to ignore the job Bohl has done down South - he leads his team, is respected, and instills confidence. Mussman's players think he's a joke - not a good situation if you ask me.