SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 4 UND at Sac St

geaux_sioux

Nice to get the win and see the offense start to run the ball, but we need to find something that works on D. We got a lot of breaks in this game - turnovers, field position, good spots from the officials. The outcome of this game could have been very different. The next 5 weeks of the schedule will be brutal and I think we will need to play better than we did tonight to win any of these games. But, it appears we are headed in the right direction.

On another note, the TV announcers comments about the Fighting Sioux nickname were hilarious!

I'm kinda glad that the offense left the eye liner at home this week and pounded their D into submission. The D looked better in the second half but still...... almost 500 yards again -492 it think- is ridiculous. I know they had long fields to drive and all but the run D missed tackles again but did show some glimpses of what they should be. The D line needs to step it up and get sacks when they get pressure. We didn't seem too aggressive with the pass rush with our LBs, I don't like that even though I do understand that they were spreading it out alot making blitzing more difficult. At least we showed that we can still win ugly like last year, all good teams need to be able to do that.

Central Arkansas beat Sam Houston today. That is who we were scheduled to play instead of Mines. To bad they backed out. It would of been a great game. That Mines game still might cost us a playoff spot.

We were supposed to play UCA instead of Portland State, not Mines.

Excellent road win to begin conference play. Ecstatic to see the run game emerge tonight. Need to keep that going.

Hendrickson didn't awe anybody like the last two weeks, but he again played very well.

Happy to see that the team cut down on the penalties tonight.

Defensively: Opportunistic. That was good. Also nice to see them get into the back field and apply pressure from time to time. Pass defense played pretty good, but the run defense continues to get gashed and that is more than alarming.

The next 5 games will be a meat grinder for North Dakota. All of the next 5 opponents will probably be ranked in the top 25 come Monday. 3 of them love to run the ball, and defending that has been a problem thus far.