SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Students at Football games

Siouxperfan7

An FBS victory would do wonders in terms of fan interest. Once you beat an FBS on the road, it shows you have the potential to beat anyone, and certainly you have the potential to beat any FCS team at home. This is the very thing that fans love and that's what gets them fired up and in the seats.

That said, with the defense being as porous as it is, I don't think this is going to be the year for an FBS victory. All good things do come in time however.

I don't disagree UND has the ability to get an FBS win. The context here is home attendance. It's unreasonable to link whether or not fans show up to home games to whether a team wins a road FBS game. Sure it would be helpful, but the standard has to be success in the conference and future playoffs. Who knows-a UND FBS win may not come for quite a while. If the eggs are in the FBS basket, that's a mistake IMHO.

The NDSU attendance trend was increasing before their first FBS win.

It's not really about a FBS win - It's about swagger and buzz. FBS wins help give you both. The early 2000's teams had this in spades. When you went to a game you knew that you would see the Sioux get after someone. On your feet Sioux fans for another third down and long meant something. Game in game out, we brought it. We knew that anyone coming to Grand Forks would have a bad time. We lost almost all of that feeling during the transition. It's easy to blame the schedule, which was crappy, but I think the product we put out on the field had a lot to do with it. We lost the in your face defensive attitude. A lot of the fall is due to our lackluster play. The Sioux Falls game was the final blow - I think we are still paying for it. While diehard ticket holders and older Sioux fans kept supporting the team, a lot of college students had no interest in watching a program that had an NAIA team eat its lunch (at home) when we had one of the best college hockey programs in the country on campus. We are a lot better team now and have some things to be excited about, especially with the passing game and talented young receiving corps. We have not recaptured that old feeling yet. I think some of this has to do with style of play. Many people have an idea of what Sioux Football is all about. It does not include lackluster line play and sloppy tackling. Even though Saturday's win was great it wasn't totally satisfying. The Bison had several 10-1 seasons and some FBS beatdowns to revive their program. What have we had so far?

I think we are improving, but we need a team personality. Something to rally behind. So far, I think a lot of the fan excitement involves the teams we are playing. We need the buzz to be about Sioux Football again.

Look at NDSUs record against FBS teams and reread what you posted. They were lousy not long ago and just crushed an FBS team. They win not because theyre better buy because they believe they should. It's a mentality nothing more nothing less.

No, they are in fact actually pretty damn good for a 63 scholarship team. And yes, they are substantially better than CSU. Swagger only matters at the margins.

No, they are in fact actually pretty damn good for a 63 scholarship team. And yes, they are substantially better than CSU. Swagger only matters at the margins.

If you love NDSU and hate UND so much why don't you just transfer there? You could wear your Craig Bohl pajamas all over Fargo and no one would say a word to you. Flipping burgers and delivering pizzas for the rest of your life would be a small price to pay for the man-love you'd get to exhibit for anyone associated with NDSU football.

• Upvote 1

If you love NDSU and hate UND so much why don't you just transfer there? You could wear your Craig Bohl pajamas all over Fargo and no one would say a word to you. Flipping burgers and delivering pizzas for the rest of your life would be a small price to pay for the man-love you'd get to exhibit for anyone associated with NDSU football.

Fargo has a lot more white collar work than anywhere else in North Dakota.....just sayin', he wouldn't have to DaveK it up.

I doubt a win against an FBS team alone would do much for attendance/fan interest. The average Grand Forker/UND student doesn't care who the team is playing as long as they are winning. String together a few 0, 1, and 2 loss seasons and the fans will be there, regardless of who the opponent is.

Just remember you don't need an FBS win to put butts in the seats...South Dakota State has yet to beat an FBS team and they can pack Coughlin Alumni Stadium.

What else do SDSU students have to look forward to, Hanging out with other farmers? I'm a UND student from SD, and I hate SDSU, they think they are the !@#$ since they nearly beat Nebraska a few years back.

I doubt a win against an FBS team alone would do much for attendance/fan interest. The average Grand Forker/UND student doesn't care who the team is playing as long as they are winning. String together a few 0, 1, and 2 loss seasons and the fans will be there, regardless of who the opponent is.

From what my dad told me, (we lived in El Forko for some time) Grand Forks folks have always tended to be win-oriented as far as football attendence. UND's figures also suggest this from what I have gathered.

What else do SDSU students have to look forward to, Hanging out with other farmers? I'm a UND student from SD, and I hate SDSU, they think they are the !@#$ since they nearly beat Nebraska a few years back.

They lost something like 17-3. Nothing to be ashamed of, probably nothing to brag about either. When in doubt, give them crap about how they blew a huge lead against Montana in the playoffs. Regardless, what do UND students have to do in the fall? Sounds like excuses to me. Football is a big deal at any school that is decent at it. It seems like a weaksauce argument for UND fans to say that the students just look forward to hockey. Everyone knows the fall means one thing, and that is football. I prefer football, but plenty of NDSU students go to basketball games if the team is any good whatsoever(and that is in an absolutely garbage arena that is hot as hell).

From what my dad told me, (we lived in El Forko for some time) Grand Forks folks have always tended to be win-oriented as far as football attendence. UND's figures also suggest this from what I have gathered.

They lost something like 17-3. Nothing to be ashamed of, probably nothing to brag about either. When in doubt, give them crap about how they blew a huge lead against Montana in the playoffs. Regardless, what do UND students have to do in the fall? Sounds like excuses to me. Football is a big deal at any school that is decent at it. It seems like a weaksauce argument for UND fans to say that the students just look forward to hockey. Everyone knows the fall means one thing, and that is football. I prefer football, but plenty of NDSU students go to basketball games if the team is any good whatsoever(and that is in an absolutely garbage arena that is hot as hell).

What better things do UND students have to do in the fall? Who knows. But what better things do SU students have to in the Winter than go to basketball?

Football is #1 and Basketball #2 at NDSU. So you're saying that everyone wants to go to football and people go to basketball if the team is good.

Hockey is #1 and Football #2 at UND. Your post proved what everyone on here is saying. Most people look forward to hockey and they will go to Football if the team is any good.

It's all a matter of different culture.

The only excuse I can think of is hunting on Saturday morning, but that is not an excuse. On a good day you can have your decoys picked up by 10 AM, be on the road back to GF by 11 - 12; depending on where you are hunting. Also, most of the games are later in the afternoon or in the early evening so even if you hunt you can't use that as an excuse.

I have been trying to figure this one our for some time but to no avail.

• Upvote 1

The only excuse I can think of is hunting on Saturday morning, but that is not an excuse. On a good day you can have your decoys picked up by 10 AM, be on the road back to GF by 11 - 12; depending on where you are hunting. Also, most of the games are later in the afternoon or in the early evening so even if you hunt you can't use that as an excuse.

I have been trying to figure this one our for some time but to no avail.

This is one of the best posts I have read in some time.

All you hunters out there - pay attention to what UNDColorado has to say on this one......please? :)

What better things do UND students have to do in the fall? Who knows. But what better things do SU students have to in the Winter than go to basketball?

Football is #1, Fargo Force Hockey is #2 and Basketball #3 at NDSU. So you're saying that everyone wants to go to football and people go to basketball if the team is good.

Hockey is #1 and Football #2 at UND. Your post proved what everyone on here is saying. Most people look forward to hockey and they will go to Football if the team is any good.

It's all a matter of different culture.

FIFY.

NDSU should be drawing 9,000 for their number two sport.

If there was only 5 or 6 home basketball games a year and we had a nice arena and all the games were on Saturdays, your argument would hold some water. But, it doesn't. Basketball is played 10-15 times a year in a dumpy(as of right now), old, ridiculously hot building on weeknights and weekends sometimes.

If there was only 5 or 6 home basketball games a year and we had a nice arena and all the games were on Saturdays, your argument would hold some water. But, it doesn't. Basketball is played 10-15 times a year in a dumpy(as of right now), old, ridiculously hot building on weeknights and weekends sometimes.

I have seen pics of the future BSA and you will get that place packed in a hurry.

you seem insecure

I think geographically hurts some of the attendance, but shouldn't be much effect if UND had good numbers in the past. A hour down the road you have a national champion, and Grand Forks is North East ND, so if your not coming from the west, your on the edge of the FBS Minnesota fan base to the east, and people to the north already have ice, so they are too worried with hockey.

Its a little easier to see SDSU getting more people with being the only major college team in the region(Besides USD(Who has some attendance problems as well from what I seen in the past)) My hometown an hour west of Brookings had dozens of people going to State Games at Coughlin Alumni games quite often, and I hear of people from Watertown and Sioux Falls(large populatation hub with no D1 school) that travel to Brookings weekly as well.