SiouxSports.com Forum

Economic Activity in GF

GeauxSioux

ah, its the new crosstown. I'll have to investigate. While the loft is nice i do miss the old place .

wow, they're building.... a strip mall, and can't find any better commercial uses for land next to a sport stadium than... residential. Sometimes i wonder if any of you have spent time in a city other than grand forks.

Last I checked, everything northeast and east of FargoDome is ... residential (except for a Stop'n'Go and Mc'D).

South and west is NDSU campus; northwest is airport.

North is the NDSCS Fargo campus and a couple fast-food joints.

The area that is being targeted for apartments is perfect for that. The majority of the parcel is too far off of 42nd to be easy access retail.

So north of Alerus will be residential. Northeast will be UND's golf course. East will be retail. South will be commercial (and west is I-29).

Am I missing something?

• Upvote 2

ah, its the new crosstown. I'll have to investigate. While the loft is nice i do miss the old place .

wow, they're building.... a strip mall, and can't find any better commercial uses for land next to a sport stadium than... residential. Sometimes i wonder if any of you have spent time in a city other than grand forks.

Yeah cause we all know Residential close to a sports stadium will be the first of its kind in the country when its completed by the alerus. Is there any hotels, commercial or bars by the alerus?

Sometimes its better to remain silent.

How is your buddy's new place doing?

I called at four today looking to get a tee time but earliest available was 9:30. So that is a good sign, but I'm sure now would be a popular time of year for it too with spring fever and all.

I have more vested in slap shot pizza and fat Albert subs. I'm ordering some right now ;).

Pretty soon I am not going to recognize the GF I grew up in.

No kidding. Though I also felt that way last time I visited (mid-2000s?). I don't miss the Shangri-La, but I do miss my memories of it growing up. It's so true that you can't go home again.

Lol thought u new everything??? According to gf property records a contract for deed was filed in consideration of 400k

I never said I did. I said that BTW got a lot more than they did. Which they are getting. Why would they get a lot more? Their lot is 4 times as big, if not more. Big Daddy's property would be zoned commercial and BTW's can be zoned for multi-family housing and is a much more desirable piece to develop. So how much will they get gfhockey since you THINK you know so much.

Hey now.

I thought I was judging it pretty fairly -- that a lot of us of certain ages have very fond memories of it from our youths, but that its heyday also seemed to be sometime back then (for me, the 80s). Certainly no offense intended; like I said, I miss the place that's in my memories, though time seemed to have passed it by.

Seems to be a controversial topic, I think I remember it stirring up some heated discussions when it closed.

I thought I was judging it pretty fairly -- that a lot of us of certain ages have very fond memories of it from our youths, but that its heyday also seemed to be sometime back then (for me, the 80s). Certainly no offense intended; like I said, I miss the place that's in my memories, though time seemed to have passed it by.

Seems to be a controversial topic, I think I remember it stirring up some heated discussions when it closed.

They closed because there were to many fingers in one till. Business was no where near what it had been for years. But the fingers kept digging like it was.

Guess we're just country hicks that can't compare in sophistication with a grad of MooU. Since you've lived in Fargo, guess you've seen all the world has to offer. :silly:

So you're saying that a community that grows it's apartment units by 10% in a year isn't a big deal? It would be a big deal in Phoenix or Minneapolis.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/01/20/business/apartment-building-boom-grand-forks

• Upvote 1

Guess we're just country hicks that can't compare in sophistication with a grad of MooU. Since you've lived in Fargo, guess you've seen all the world has to offer. :silly:

So you're saying that a community that grows it's apartment units by 10% in a year isn't a big deal? It would be a big deal in Phoenix or Minneapolis.

http://minnesota.pub...oom-grand-forks

first off, 300 last year and 400 *proposed* this year is two years, not one, and so far ground has been broken on roughly none of those 400 proposed units.

I haven't lived in fargo in a decade, I'm sure someone around here can IP check me if it's such a big deal for you.

I don't miss the Shangri La...I worked there for two weeks in 92. Managers were douchbags.

I worked there for about 6 months back in 90. Not only did I not eat there once but I never even saw the inside/dining area. I worked in the kitchen. The youngest son-owner was s cool guy, his brother was an ass. The dad only new swear words in English and he used them..lol.

I worked there for about 6 months back in 90. Not only did I not eat there once but I never even saw the inside/dining area. I worked in the kitchen. The youngest son-owner was s cool guy, his brother was an ass. The dad only new swear words in English and he used them..lol.

I was a dishwasher there, and I had a hard time communicating with the dad.

• 5 weeks later...

Hope they operate a little safer than they do in Texas.

Agree. They really need to put this well away - at least 5-10 miles - from Grand Forks, not in north Grand Forks. The one to be built at Spiritwood is like 10 miles from Jamestown. It would actually be better to put is NE of Grand Forks, so any ammonia plume isn't likely to harm many people as that's not a normal wind direction, but sure that won't happen.