SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

New offer: Darian Nelson, a 5'8", 160, RB at Northland CC from Cincinnati. He has run for about 850 yards this year and has done well on kick returns. No other offers.

Definitely looks thicker than 160 lbs in the video, but he didn't look overly fast or quick. Maybe he'll surprise though

The QB position is more about intelligence, instincts, heart and leadership and less about metrics. Joe Montana didn't have the greatest arm strength in the world. I was ticked off when the Vikings didn't take a chance on Boise State QB Kellen Moore a couple of years ago. He's now Stafford's backup in Detroit. And of course at UND, you had Joey "McNabb" Bradley with his blond hair and strong arm do jack squat for us. Screw metrics, screw the tale of the tape; I want intelligence, instincts, heart and leadership in my QB.

He's actually Shaun Hill's backup in Detroit. He is smart, though, since he hasn't lost the clipboard yet.

Totally agree. Same could be said for a ton of NFL backups. As a non-Vikings fan, yeah Ponder sucks, but there's a lot more to that situation than back QB play.

Two things can cover up a lot of flaws: a franchise QB and a ferocious pass rush. That is the quickest way the Vikings can turn the team around.

How does the firing of Mussman and the national coaching search impact recruiting?

Current recruits will write-off UND or go into a holding pattern to see how it plays out and the new staff should be able to convince some of their recruits to follow them here and hopefully pull in some who were being recruited by the previous staff. Anyone know whether current offers remain valid? I know we have the one verbal commit, should he decide that he still wants to play for UND with the new coaching staff, is the new staff required to honor the scholarship offer? More of a curiosity deal, as I'm guessing it would work itself out regardless.

Current recruits will write-off UND or go into a holding pattern to see how it plays out and the new staff should be able to convince some of their recruits to follow them here and hopefully pull in some who were being recruited by the previous staff. Anyone know whether current offers remain valid? I know we have the one verbal commit, should he decide that he still wants to play for UND with the new coaching staff, is the new staff required to honor the scholarship offer? More of a curiosity deal, as I'm guessing it would work itself out regardless.

I don't believe they're required to honor the commitment as he hasn't signed a letter of intent but I believe in football they are generally honored. It's more of an issue in basketball where there are far fewer scholarships available. I specifically remember a few guys having their offers pulled when Tubby took over at Minnesota.

I am really interested to find out how this all is going to impact the recruiting situation. Everyone already seemed fairly nervous beings there is only one commit so far and the season is now over but now there will be no recruiting until a coach is found. I feel like it is going to hard to fill an entire class in a month or two.

I am really interested to find out how this all is going to impact the recruiting situation. Everyone already seemed fairly nervous beings there is only one commit so far and the season is now over but now there will be no recruiting until a coach is found. I feel like it is going to hard to fill an entire class in a month or two.

I said I was worried last week and everyone said relax, the best players wait til the last day to make up their mind. I'm still worried, just like you, but apparently no one else is. It seems like a lot of other schools have lots of commits, so I don't know what to think.

A lot of the recruits that have an interest in UND probably won't make a decision until January anyway, so a new staff would have time to work with them. Most of the new coaching staff has probably been recruiting for another school, so they have their own network. They might not get all of the top recruits they would like this year, but they will be able to fill out the class. There are plenty of football players who have enough talent to play at the FCS level who don't get scholarships. The new coaching staff just needs to find the right ones.

I think Studsrud is the best athlete of the 3 QBs. Perra and Wilkie are fairly similar. I get why people really like Wilkie on here though (6'5" 200+, good arm, probably has good QB intelligence with his OC as his dad who is ALSO an alum.) But Perra has a 3.8 GPA, proven winner too, and though not as tall, has a pretty solid arm as well.

Depending on the offense the new HC and staff bring in, we'll know know on which of these 3 MN guys would fit best in their system.

I think current recruits have written off UND into a holding pattern as it is currently....60 offers and 1 commit. lol

think of this...

Faison wants a d1 coach...

what are most d1 coaches doing right now???

they are out recruiting....

what will stop the new coach here from bringing the connections hes made to UND?

I've heard that some schools now have it written into the coaches contract that if he leaves, he can't contact anyone he was recruiting at that school, unless the new school had prior contact with the recruit.