SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Unless the kid is a longtime friend of the family you can't have any conversation with him suggesting a school to play at, it sounds harsh but it is correct, we hashed out that whole discussion a couple years ago after a casual conversation with somebody. It's spooky what the NCAA considers a "representative of the University", it goes way beyond somebody drawing a paycheck, more like anybody who is a booster or supporter in any way. Do I agree with all of it? Not especially. Does it still go on? Of course, but probably out of ignorance for the rules more than anything else.

In this case, if true, there's no doubt he would be in violation, he's more than the average fan and booster, I have a hard time believing he'd be that stupid to contact kids on a traceable media but...you know Lakes.

You are talking about a guy who threatened a public official over the internet where it was traced by numerous sources and law enforcement. Yeah Lakes is a French fry short of a Happy Meal.

• Upvote 1

Unless the kid is a longtime friend of the family you can't have any conversation with him suggesting a school to play at, it sounds harsh but it is correct, we hashed out that whole discussion a couple years ago after a casual conversation with somebody. It's spooky what the NCAA considers a "representative of the University", it goes way beyond somebody drawing a paycheck, more like anybody who is a booster or supporter in any way. Do I agree with all of it? Not especially. Does it still go on? Of course, but probably out of ignorance for the rules more than anything else.

In this case, if true, there's no doubt he would be in violation, he's more than the average fan and booster, I have a hard time believing he'd be that stupid to contact kids on a traceable media but...you know Lakes.

A great example of these rules is that if a player graduates and comes back to town with a little money from his new job he can't take any former teammates out to dinner or even buy them a drink unless he had done so as a student athlete. Even if they were roommates or best buds.

I can definitely agree on that. Hopefully some of the younger guys that those of us on here believe to be super talented (Stockwell, Bell, B. Miller, Adams, Sharp, Cheatom, etc.) can help with that. Still some puzzle pieces to put in that likely aren't here yet, but we'll see what this recruiting class can bring up........

I believe UND could at least attempt to get back to old style of play with what you have right now. It may not win you a bunch of more games, but slowing the game down in Big Sky play would, IMO, keep you in more games and allow you a chance to win toward the end, as opposed to lopsided margins. The 3 Bigs in the BSC, I don't believe, are overly patient, and might just get frustrated-->leading to mistakes. Not being a dink, couldn't be worse than what is happening now.

Since you're asking, something like this is a blatant violation:

@FireDennyGuy 2 Oct

@ClutchKing_Kid NDSU is amazing, great program , 5 guys in nfl right now...sold out stadium, loud crazy fans & Detroit lakes beaches nearby

I'm sure the above will be deleted soon since he continues to read this board (even though he is the one who yells the loudest about moving on) and has already sent out a tweet claiming he was only trying to clarify which school DF was going to go to. I find that hard to believe considering he deleted that tweet long ago and DF's answer does not seem to answer that question.

Well, if Lakes is doing this stuff, and if he is still reading this Forum, then he needs to real things in a bit it sounds like.

Nothing would make me more happy than UND moving Kleason back to guard and placing Barton at tackle and pounding the rock. Shaugs and Sparks, Sparks and Shaugs. PA pass for a td. Over and over and over again until the other team gives up. Sounds familiar. It's what we used to do and it's what NDSU is doing now.

I believe UND could at least attempt to get back to old style of play with what you have right now. It may not win you a bunch of more games, but slowing the game down in Big Sky play would, IMO, keep you in more games and allow you a chance to win toward the end, as opposed to lopsided margins. The 3 Bigs in the BSC, I don't believe, are overly patient, and might just get frustrated-->leading to mistakes. Not being a dink, couldn't be worse than what is happening now.

Well, if Lakes is doing this stuff, and if he is still reading this Forum, then he needs to real things in a bit it sounds like.

Less tweeting and more jock sniffing would be a good plan for Sam.

I'm very pumped about Stick (offense), but also Menard (defense--I could throw in a slam about defense here but I won't). The thing is, I feel pretty good about our current QB's especially Wentz for the next couple of years.

Talking seriously here now, I really thought UND was going to be very competitive in the Big Sky this year. That didn't/hasn't happened, but it can in the future. My position is that UND needs to get back to its old ways of power football,with controlled passing, and controlling the LOS on both sides of the ball. Those things are huge at this level, and something I don't think the major players in the Big Sky can manage. I think UND should go after a coach with this type of philosophy, as it only takes a year or two to get rolling.

I think NDSU's success the last couple years is making teams rethink their recruiting and approach, FCS has been the same for 20 years...we're going to put up a lot of points and have a defense good enough to make a few stops. That philosophy has worked in the past, but with NDSU winning 2 titles with their 'defense first' attitude it's causing teams to take another look and adjust their game...Montana hasn't seriously focused on defense for over 10 years and that's a big topic now, along with going back to the pro-set power run game, my thinking is teams that aren't moving in that direction right now are going to find themselves behind the curve in a few years.

Of course like you said, you need to have a little bit of a passing attack, a couple of those teams you guys drew in the playoffs were probably the most one-dimensional teams I've ever seen, that's going to get you in trouble come playoff time regardless of your defense.

Nothing would make me more happy than UND moving Kleason back to guard and placing Barton at tackle and pounding the rock. Shaugs and Sparks, Sparks and Shaugs. PA pass for a td. Over and over and over again until the other team gives up. Sounds familiar. It's what we used to do and it's what NDSU is doing now.

That's what I was referring to when I posted that you could start doing, or at least attempting to do, this right now, and see where it takes you the rest of the season. The plays are in the playbook, we know that, it's just a matter of committing to that philosophy and staying patient.

I think NDSU's success the last couple years is making teams rethink their recruiting and approach, FCS has been the same for 20 years...we're going to put up a lot of points and have a defense good enough to make a few stops. That philosophy has worked in the past, but with NDSU winning 2 titles with their 'defense first' attitude it's causing teams to take another look and adjust their game...Montana hasn't seriously focused on defense for over 10 years and that's a big topic now, along with going back to the pro-set power run game, my thinking is teams that aren't moving in that direction right now are going to find themselves behind the curve in a few years.

Of course like you said, you need to have a little bit of a passing attack, a couple of those teams you guys drew in the playoffs were probably the most one-dimensional teams I've ever seen, that's going to get you in trouble come playoff time regardless of your defense.

Yes, Wofford was certainly one-dimensional, and those that weren't we forced them to be (think SDSU/Zenner), with the exception of Georgia Southern. I think GSU was a better team than Sam Houston last year.

That all said, didn't mean to mess up your recruiting thread. Good luck with recruiting and in the rest of your games this year!!

Agree. What O-lineman would not want to attack a defense and go after the D-line and linebackers the majority of snaps. UND has become a great place destination for receivers, but wouldn't it be nice for UND to be able to tell these big O line recruits that they will be pounding the football by letting them be aggressive and get after the other Big Sky teams.

See note above... personal information about non-public figures (e.g. call jimdahl's boss at xxx and tell him what a horrible moderator he is) should be avoided. I don't think anyone in this thread is likely harassing the guy in real life, but posting his personal information could enable someone else to. Thanks!

See note above... personal information about non-public figures (e.g. call jimdahl's boss at xxx and tell him what a horrible moderator he is) should be avoided. I don't think anyone in this thread is likely harassing the guy in real life, but posting his personal information could enable someone else to. Thanks!

Sorry bout that I thought Lakes was a public figure.;)

• Upvote 1

Now he's going to be mad you don't recognize him as a public figure Jim!!

Sam is now stating over at his board we are talking to his boss about this?

Mod edit -- please don't reveal personal information about non-public figures, thanks

Ha... I'll admit it was a bluff on my part about contacting his employer. If KVRR wants to be affiliated with that piece of trash then I guess that's their choice. It is pretty funny to watch him squirm over it and I have no doubt in my mind his idiotic actions will land NDSU or an NDSU recruit in hot water someday.

Ha... I'll admit it was a bluff on my part about contacting his employer. If KVRR wants to be affiliated with that piece of trash then I guess that's their choice. It is pretty funny to watch him squirm over it and I have no doubt in my mind his idiotic actions will land NDSU or an NDSU recruit in hot water someday.

I wouldn't contact his employer over this, that's stupid. Telling the NCAA or even NDSU is fine but as much as I dislike Lakes I wouldn't think of harassing his employer that is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I wouldn't contact his employer over this, that's stupid. Telling the NCAA or even NDSU is fine but as much as I dislike Lakes I wouldn't think of harassing his employer that is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

Which is why I didn't.... he'll screw himself over in due time. Personally, I don't know if I could do any business with KVRR in good conscience knowing they're tolerating his actions. I actually went over to his website to see what he was saying about this event. Big mistake. He has a thread devoted to his hatred of UND where he takes comments from this board and has his own commentary on them. He also has numerous posts about UND athletes and recruits. A large number of them include libelous claims or homophobic slurs. The man is a ticking time bomb for NDSU athletics and for KVRR. If I were either of them I wouldn't want anything to do with him.

I hate to derail this thread any further but NDSU athletics has pretty much done everything it could to distance itself from Lakes. I know at one time he was banned from NDSU sporting events, including football tailgating. Of course he's been banned from Bisonville (not an easy accomplishment) so he had to start his own website. I know you guys know this, but he in no way represents NDSU and I am personally embarrassed we cheer for the same team.

Any contact with a potential recruit regarding the recruiting process is an NCAA violation. Sam has been doing this for years and in multiple sports. The NDSU athletic department hasn't done anything about it because the entire program has little to no regard for NCAA regulations.

once again can you give us some examples of NDSU not having any regard for NCAA regulations? Just because you say it doent make it true

once again can you give us some examples of NDSU not having any regard for NCAA regulations? Just because you say it doent make it true

If he's doing what it looks like he's doing, it is a violation, the rules are pretty specific. He needs to stop.