SiouxSports.com Forum

Standing Rock Vote - Measure 2

CapitalCitySIOUX

Sioux County is run by the Sioux County Commission and is a part of the State of North Dakota.

Standing Rock Nation is a soverign nation (as Canada is a soverign nation) recognized by the US Government.

The NCAA wants to hear from Standing Rock, not Sioux County.

It's in writing in the settlement agreement.

One minor adjustment...The NCAA wanted to hear from Standing Rock, Not Sioux County...and they did.

On Measure 2?

Property taxes still exist.

Did you mean Measure 4? If so ...

Nothing. The NCAA wants to hear from Standing Rock Goverment, not Sioux County.

And it's probably too late anyway.

Why are people confusing the Tribal Government with Sioux County? Just because you live in Sioux County does not mean you are member of the tribe.

Somewhat funny is all of you sat on the other side with DaveK, Fetch, and Chewey when we tried to tell you what would happen and you dismissed us. Now you are singing the same song we sang and pretend you wrote the lyrics.

It's funny, you've been a member for 6 months. Are you saying that you have been telling us for a whole 6 months now? Or were you banned with another name and now you are here to try and say "I told you so"? A troll by any other name is still a troll. I'm not quite sure why you are attacking people that are trying to accomplish something that it seems you have wanted for a long time. That seems counterproductive, and maybe the sign of a bitter person.

The NCAA told the delegation from North Dakota last August that they were going to follow the settlement and that they don't care if Standing Rock changes their position. Contracts and legal settlements have deadlines, and they are meaningless if the deadlines aren't followed. The NCAA wants to get rid of as many Native American nicknames as possible. Why would they let UND have one back if they don't have to? As far as the NCAA is concerned it is a done deal.

And all Al Carlson, and the save the nickname at all cost people heard was blah, blah, blah.

It's funny, you've been a member for 6 months. Are you saying that you have been telling us for a whole 6 months now? Or were you banned with another name and now you are here to try and say "I told you so"? A troll by any other name is still a troll. I'm not quite sure why you are attacking people that are trying to accomplish something that it seems you have wanted for a long time. That seems counterproductive, and maybe the sign of a bitter person.

Just because the goal is the same the reason for trying to reach the goal are different. Furthermore, why did you always attack people who were saying for years what you have only been saying for a month?

Somewhat funny is all of you sat on the other side with DaveK, Fetch, and Chewey when we tried to tell you what would happen and you dismissed us. Now you are singing the same song we sang and pretend you wrote the lyrics.

We all wanted to keep the name initially when this all came out. We wanted the tribes to give their approval. They did not. So as a result we have to retire the name as per the settlement. Everything changes after the deadline was passed. After November 30th 2010, there was no way to keep the name without being sanctioned by the NCAA. They have a legally binding settlement. So the reason our tune has changed is before November 30th, 2010 there was still a chance to save the name with tribal approval. After the deadline the game changed. It was either change it or you are santioned.

I've suspected for some time that Watchmaker is Almostheavenin2011. It appears Watchmaker believes the name is racist and is very bitter that we don't believe the same. We have also marginalized her "fight against racism" by making the retiring of the Sioux name about sanctions rather than race.

• Upvote 1

We all wanted to keep the name initially when this all came out. We wanted the tribes to give their approval. They did not. So as a result we have to retire the name as per the settlement. Everything changes after the deadline was passed. After November 30th 2010, there was no way to keep the name without being sanctioned by the NCAA. They have a legally binding settlement. So the reason our tune has changed is before November 30th, 2010 there was still a chance to save the name with tribal approval. After the deadline the game changed. It was either change it or you are santioned.

You just can not get the fact that the game did not change after November 30th, 2010. The outcome was decided a long time before this and you chose to try running with the big dogs while you all were still pissing like a puppy. Then one day you realized that you were just the little pissing puppy and the big dogs left you behind to sniff at their piles. Only then did you finally come to the conclusion that damn they really are going to teach us a serious lesson on the pecking order of life and found out that you did not matter. Then it became now we have to save the university and forget that we all helped getting the unversity into the mess.

Just because the goal is the same the reason for trying to reach the goal are different. Furthermore, why did you always attack people who were saying for years what you have only been saying for a month?

Saying for a month? You really haven't paid attention. I first said that it may be time to retire the name about 3 years ago, when the State Board of Higher Education first started looking at moving up the deadline. More than 2 years ago I was pointing out that Standing Rock wasn't going to change their position and didn't have time to change their constitution to allow a vote, so it wasn't going to happen. More than a year ago I was writing to North Dakota legislators, and having in person conversations with local legislators to try and defeat Carlson's Folly. I did some of the same before the special session in November. And have been posting vigorously the past 6 months or so. Not exactly last minute on the bandwagon.

But it doesn't matter to me when people have accepted the reality of the situation. It is just important that enough people realize the situation before they make it even worse by putting the law back on the books.

• Upvote 1

I've suspected for some time that Watchmaker is Almostheavenin2011. It appears Watchmaker believes the name is racist and is very bitter that we don't believe the same. We have also marginalized her "fight against racism" by making the retiring of the Sioux name about sanctions rather than race.

You have not "marginalized" nothing. To deny that Grand Forks and the state of North Dakota is not racist is hilarious. That is like saying Sheriff Paul Babeau deals with facts.

You have not "marginalized" nothing. To deny that Grand Forks and the state of North Dakota is not racist is hilarious. That is like saying Sheriff Paul Babeau deals with facts.

I never denied there being a lot of racist people in North Dakota. Nice try though.

Oh, and I assume since you always say what you mean, that when you say we "have not marginalized nothing" that you really do mean we have marginalized your fight.

roll over is all these guys want to do

It will be interesting how UND & people like 82 have alienated a couple generations of Fighting Sioux Fans & they will lose many of those Fans

There have been plenty of schools that have changed their nickname and haven't lost "many" of their fans. There are examples all across the country but there is an example right in Dickinson. When they changed their name from the Savages to the Bluehawks people weren't happy about it but the strongest group of supporters are those that were there when the name change took place and the generation before and after. People still attend games. Again, you have no facts to back your claims.

As in everyone? Just a few people? Half? 5%? 20%? Is my five year old racist? I need some clarification.......

As in everyone? Just a few people? Half? 5%? 20%? Is my five year old racist? I need some clarification.......

Actually, if you read the statement carefully, he said that Grand Forks is not racist. "Deny that Grand Forks is not racist is hilarious"

Actually, if you read the statement carefully, he said that Grand Forks is not racist. "Deny that Grand Forks is not racist is hilarious"

Copy the whole quote instead of changing the qoute. If you could read carefully I said TO deny that Grand Forks is not racist is hilarious. If you read more than a sports section you would be able to understand what I said.

Copy the whole quote instead of changing the qoute. If you could read carefully I said TO deny that Grand Forks is not racist is hilarious. If you read more than a sports section you would be able to understand what I said.

Adding "to" to the beginning of the quote doesn't change its meaning whatsoever. I think you may be confused by your own use of a double negative. You said that denying that Grand Forks is not racist is hilarious. Which I assume means that you agree that Grand Forks is not racist. Is that what you were going for?

I believe that you meant "to deny that Grand Forks IS racist is hilarious". You kind of have the double negative thing going there, which makes it a positive. You are saying that you find it hilarious that others would deny that Grand Forks is not racist. That translates to saying that you find it hilarious to agree that Grand Forks is racist.

The NCAA wanted to hear from the Standing Rock Government by November 30, 2010. They don't care if they ever hear from Standing Rock or Spirit Lake again at this point, the deadline is past.

Actually, I think the NCAA wanted to hear from Standing Rock and Spirit Lake when they thought the tribes wanted to get rid of the name. Once the NCAA found out that the tribes wanted the name to remain and that they actually felt honored by the name is when they quickly kicked them to the curb and didn't want to hear from them anymore.

Actually, I think the NCAA wanted to hear from Standing Rock and Spirit Lake when they thought the tribes wanted to get rid of the name. Once the NCAA found out that the tribes wanted the name to remain and that they actually felt honored by the name is when they quickly kicked them to the curb and didn't want to hear from them anymore.

Contractually they had to listen to both tribes until November 30, 2010. But both tribes had to agree to keep the name. After that date they don't have to listen to either and they don't care.

Yeah....exactly.

Contractually they had to listen to both tribes until November 30, 2010. But both tribes had to agree to keep the name. After that date they don't have to listen to either and they don't care.

There's the problem:

The NCAA now has all the power in this situation because they have a signed settlement agreement.

And honestly, Standing Rock isn't going to change their stance so does the NCAA's stance matter?

I know what they had to do contractually, that's not my point.