SiouxSports.com Forum

Solitary confinement in Leed ND school system.

rockbear99

When we were kids we either had to sit on the cold hard hallway floor or get sent to the office. Not that I ever had it happen to me. :hypocrite::whistling: Watchmaker probably sat out there with me a couple of times for all I know.

We homeschool our kids, so we don't have to use any locked time-out rooms, padded or not. They pretty much get the same treatment that I got, except it is wood floor.

I never had to sit in the hallway under Mr. Morken or Mr. Mitchell. You were probably out there with Billy. :whistling:

When we were kids we either had to sit on the cold hard hallway floor or get sent to the office. Not that I ever had it happen to me. :hypocrite::whistling: Watchmaker probably sat out there with me a couple of times for all I know.

We homeschool our kids, so we don't have to use any locked time-out rooms, padded or not. They pretty much get the same treatment that I got, except it is wood floor.

Maybe your brother should have told the Wasilla Hillbillies to try this before they rang up so much on his credit card at Neiman Marcus.
  • Upvote 1

I suggest we put you in the room for awhile along with anyone who can not see the problem here and see how you like it. Or even better have one in your home and put your kids in it so when they go to school and tell the teacher about your room the next visitor at your door will be child protective services there to take away your kids.

I have 3 kids a 10 yo, 5yo, and a 2yo and I have seen them act up in public and at home. Its not a pretty sight. So if having a timeout in a room is the answer then so be it. I know if I acted up in school a locked room is better than the other choice I had....telling my father with a belt in his hand I acted up in school.

Maybe your brother should have told the Wasilla Hillbillies to try this before they rang up so much on his credit card at Neiman Marcus.

:lol: :lol: !! Man, you need to get over Palin. Fortunately he is doing something a little different, although you probably still wouldn't approve, since it is with the RNC.

So did you end up in the hallway, too? 5th grade seemed like the punishment was the hallway, 6th grade was "go to the office".

:lol: :lol: !! Man, you need to get over Palin. Fortunately he is doing something a little different, although you probably still wouldn't approve, since it is with the RNC.

So did you end up in the hallway, too? 5th grade seemed like the punishment was the hallway, 6th grade was "go to the office".

I don't ever remember if I ever sat in the hallway. I had Mr. Billings in 5th and Miss. Miller in 6th. I never had Mr. Tupa though. Dang but I can not remember which room you were in. You, Billy, Perry, Darrin, and (was it Kevin or Terry that was a year younger than us) that were the trouble makers! :lol: :lol:

I don't ever remember if I ever sat in the hallway. I had Mr. Billings in 5th and Miss. Miller in 6th. I never had Mr. Tupa though. Dang but I can not remember which room you were in.

I was in Tupa's in 5th and with you for 6th with Miss Miller.

I wouldn't mind getting "on" Palin. :love:

Did we still have that combined 5th and 6th grade when we were in 6th grade? I remember who the other trouble maker with you was, Greg. :lol:

It was combined, but I don't remember him being in there. Your list of trouble makers above was pretty complete, except you missed Alan.

It was combined, but I don't remember him being in there. Your list of trouble makers above was pretty complete, except you missed Alan.

Darn it anyhow how could I forget Alan. Anypne else that I may have forgotten? Maybe JohnD. or Steve M.? I don't remember any of us as even being close to trouble makers though. Everyone here is probably wondering why these 2 are wandering down memory lane..

Not defending this particular school because the room looks more like a sweat-box than a timeout room, but there are probably a lot of schools that have rooms like this to deal with children who get out of control to the point where they can't simply put them in the hall.

I know our K-3 and 4-6 schools both have them, and I'm sure the older kids schools have something too because at that age it can become dangerous. Usually the kids who end up in the room are there for either physically abusing other kids and waiting for their parents to get them or because they didn't take their meds that day (there are so many kids on meds these days) and they are so ADD that they can't control themselves and disrupt the class to the point they have to wait until their parent either brings their meds or takes them home.

Back in the day there were no rooms like this, discipline was handled at school and then your old man whipped your ass when you got home...that cured almost all of it, but now the schools pretty much have to send kids home for even smaller things. Whether the parent will then try to teach the child why what they did was wrong or blame it all on the school, that's another story altogether.

Just one note about the video, it would have been a lot easier to look at it objectively if the derogatory comments hadn't been injected, calling someone a fatass doesn't help their cause.

• Upvote 2

Darn it anyhow how could I forget Alan. Anypne else that I may have forgotten? Maybe JohnD. or Steve M.? I don't remember any of us as even being close to trouble makers though. Everyone here is probably wondering why these 2 are wandering down memory lane..

Trouble maker being a relative term. Spit balls and carrying on when you are supposed to be listening likely wouldn't even be worth a word from a teacher in today's world.

As a certified school psychologist and behavior analyst, I must say there are many things wrong with this procedure portrayed in the video. First of all, this is in clear violation of <strong>Rules on Corporal Punishment, Physical Confinement and Detention, and Physical Restraint</strong> that most States have in their Code. I work in Iowa and this would be a direct violation of Chapter 103(b). I am certain North Dakota has similar statutes and laws.

Secondly, there is no indication that they are looking at function of behavior (reason why it is occurring). Timeout can be an effective procedure, but it typically, and usually, is not effective in isolation. I realize that we do not know what other strategies are being used, but it is a point that needs to be made. Timeout if used on a student whose function is &quot;escape&quot;, would be very dangerous. Dangerous in the fact that the student is more likely to escalate behavior if the function is not fulfilled immediately. Using this sparingly without other strategies would in fact be teaching the wrong behavior. Of course I am speaking in generalities as none of know the rest of the story.

The last point I would like to make is one regarding the filmmaker. Aside from the creepy and low-tech camera work that looks like it is from 1992, we have some FERPA violations as well. Did this child's parent give consent to appear on this video explaining the timeout? Were the parents notified that you would be posting this online? I applaud the &quot;whistleblowing&quot; as this is a potentially serious issue (see Waukee timeout). As Waukee CSD learned from its egregious, yet well-intended mistake, Leeds must do the same. I am sure this is a case of well-intentions, however, if you are not educated about the procedure, DO NOT DO IT

Well said but the problem is that your post is logical and actually backed up sound reasoning and these concepts are foreign to most of the idiots posting in this thread who would likely advocate water boarding for someone elses kid because that was how it was done back in the good old days.

• Upvote 2

Trouble maker being a relative term. Spit balls and carrying on when you are supposed to be listening likely wouldn't even be worth a word from a teacher in today's world.

And as soon as Miss. Miller, Mr. Billings, or Mr. Tupa said cut it out it stopped.

Well said but the problem is that your post is logical and actually backed up sound reasoning and these concepts are foreign to most of the idiots posting in this thread who would likely advocate water boarding for someone elses kid because that was how it was done back in the good old days.

If you loosen up a bit, that lump of coal you're carrying around is probably a one carat diamond by now ...

Actually, while going to UND I worked as a juvenile social worker, I have a very close group of friends who are not only teachers but Title I teachers, and I was lucky enough to attend the 2011 Title I national conference in Tampa, Fl with many of them where I was involved in some good discussions about topics such as this. So their post was perfectly clear to me. I just happen to believe that there comes a point where our society has to quit teaching everyone that they are a victim and coddling everyone. At some point people need to be held accountable for their actions. And it begins with teaching our children that there are consequences for what they do. Making a child sit in time-out is hardly water boarding. But that might be an effective method too!

• Upvote 2

I just happen to believe that there comes a point where our society has to quit teaching everyone that they are a victim and coddling everyone. At some point people need to be held accountable for their actions. And it begins with teaching our children that there are consequences for what they do.

Best non-sports post of the year so far!!!

Our society needs to stop promoting of the "wussification" of this country. Maybe someone can get our Commander-in-Chief to read this thread!

Humiliation of child lands mother in jail

http://www.startribu.../150709235.html

Unhappy with her daughter's schoolwork, a Fridley mother shaved her 12-year-old's head on Monday and sent her outside wearing a diaper and a tank top to pick up garbage and do windsprints in a punishment police said the mom called "diaper duty."

Fridley Police Lt. Mike Monsrud said the couple laughed and joked as they were driven to the Anoka County jail, where they were booked on suspicion of gross misdemeanor malicious punishment of a child. Monsrud said the girl's mother said she couldn't believe that police were getting involved in how they punished their child.

Yeah, THAT will teach this girl to get better grades!!! :silly:

Tyree Caruthers, 14, said it wasn't the first time he had seen the girl humiliated. He said that several months ago, while he was playing basketball, he saw the girl and her younger sister in diapers and picking up garbage at a nearby park.

These idiots should be stripped of their parental rights and prohibited from contact with this poor little girl. And they think it's "funny"? If I was the judge handing out the sentences, they wouldn't be laughing anymore. :angry:

Humiliation of child lands mother in jail

http://www.startribu.../150709235.html

Yeah, THAT will teach this girl to get better grades!!! :silly:

These idiots should be stripped of their parental rights and prohibited from contact with this poor little girl. And they think it's "funny"? If I was the judge handing out the sentences, they wouldn't be laughing anymore. :angry:

But if they had put them in a box it would have been ok.

Actually, while going to UND I worked as a juvenile social worker, I have a very close group of friends who are not only teachers but Title I teachers, and I was lucky enough to attend the 2011 Title I national conference in Tampa, Fl with many of them where I was involved in some good discussions about topics such as this. So their post was perfectly clear to me. I just happen to believe that there comes a point where our society has to quit teaching everyone that they are a victim and coddling everyone. At some point people need to be held accountable for their actions. And it begins with teaching our children that there are consequences for what they do. Making a child sit in time-out is hardly water boarding. But that might be an effective method too!

Another social worker who has no real idea what these kids are going through beyond what they read in a book. Tell me if I am wrong that you grew up in a stable home on a nice street.

Another social worker who has no real idea what these kids are going through beyond what they read in a book. Tell me if I am wrong that you grew up in a stable home on a nice street.

:tinfoilhat:

Your "No Child Left Behind" mentality where all kids get to chose whether they want a pony or a fluffy bunny is what is wrong with this society. Or maybe disruptive/poorly behaved Johnny or Suzie just needs more pills and therapy as nothing is their fault.

Your "No Child Left Behind" mentality where all kids get to chose whether they want a pony or a fluffy bunny is what is wrong with this society. Or maybe disruptive/poorly behaved Johnny or Suzie just needs more pills and therapy as nothing is their fault.

And where did I say this? Do you still beat your kids into submission?

And the Dr. Laura crowd believes that anything and everything that happens to you in life (abuse, neglect) is YOUR fault and YOU are responsible for it (a.k.a. blame the victim). There are extremist viewpoints on both sides; the truth (as usual) lies somewhere in the middle.

It was my experience growing up that the kids who made the most trouble at school are the kids that had problems at home. Without counseling and help from responsible and caring adults, these kids will grow up with all sorts of emotional and mental health problems. Instead, our society chooses to just throw everyone in jail and forget about them. The U.S. has the largest prison population in the world and a lot of those people would be productive members of society if they had gotten the proper intervention as kids. For example, the little girl in the story I posted this morning will need a lot of emotional support and counseling to overcome what has been inflicted on her by these so-called "parents".

What we need is more common-sense and less nonsense.