SiouxSports.com Forum

Solitary confinement in Leed ND school system.

rockbear99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmOWvERrk7g&sns=fb

I guarantee you that if my child was ever locked in one I would tear it down personally. There has to be other ways than lock a kid up. If this were done in a home the child would be taken away from the parents.

If the kid had gone to Catholic school when I did the nuns would have not even bothered with "solitary confinement" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmOWvERrk7g&sns=fb

I guarantee you that if my child was ever locked in one I would tear it down personally. There has to be other ways than lock a kid up. If this were done in a home the child would be taken away from the parents.

Have you sent this to the GF Herald, is Leeds in Ramsey County if it is send to the Ramsey DA, send it to the North Dakota Attorney Generals office. This principle needs to have her head examined or spend some time in the box herself. This is not Cool Hand Luke.

Have you sent this to the GF Herald, is Leeds in Ramsey County if it is send to the Ramsey DA, send it to the North Dakota Attorney Generals office. This principle needs to have her head examined or spend some time in the box herself. This is not Cool Hand Luke.

It's in Benson County.

• Upvote 1

Not saying this is the right way to handle things.....but if I was a kid and and got put in this box and went home and bitched about it to my parents the first response would have been "what did you do to deseve that?".....but today kids are coddled and taught that they can do nothing wrong. I have quite a few friends that are in education and when I ask them how kids are these days and what are the biggest problems or issues in education the overwhelming response is "most of the kids are good kids, the biggest problems are the parents"

• Upvote 1

Not saying this is the right way to handle things.....but if I was a kid and and got put in this box and went home and bitched about it to my parents the first response would have been "what did you do to deseve that?".....but today kids are coddled and taught that they can do nothing wrong. I have quite a few friends that are in education and when I ask them how kids are these days and what are the biggest problems or issues in education the overwhelming response is "most of the kids are good kids, the biggest problems are the parents"

Exactly - Parents these days are so protective of their kids and never want them to have any consequences - any time there is an upset, parents come charging in and complain - never say anything to the student. I'm not sure if Leeds HS is wrong or not - we'll never know because of privacy laws the school can't respond. That's why this parent coming on this board to rip a school who can't by law reply is so obnoxious. The parents need to take it to the school, not a public forum they have never participated in until they decided to "shame" the school. The parents know this forum will be one sided, because the school can't by law respond. Grow up and deal with it at the local level. Stop using Siouxsports for a one-sided form for your personal grievances. In your words "stop being asses".

Not a parent of a child in this school. my daughter is 3 right now. Do not live in Benson County. Very active in my daughters life and will always be. If she gets in trouble in school she will be in trouble at home also. Same way when I was a kid. This in not in the sports forum and I wanted to know others people opinion on the subject but you (irish) seem to have a problem with thant.

As a certified school psychologist and behavior analyst, I must say there are many things wrong with this procedure portrayed in the video. First of all, this is in clear violation of <strong>Rules on Corporal Punishment, Physical Confinement and Detention, and Physical Restraint</strong> that most States have in their Code. I work in Iowa and this would be a direct violation of Chapter 103(b). I am certain North Dakota has similar statutes and laws.

Secondly, there is no indication that they are looking at function of behavior (reason why it is occurring). Timeout can be an effective procedure, but it typically, and usually, is not effective in isolation. I realize that we do not know what other strategies are being used, but it is a point that needs to be made. Timeout if used on a student whose function is &quot;escape&quot;, would be very dangerous. Dangerous in the fact that the student is more likely to escalate behavior if the function is not fulfilled immediately. Using this sparingly without other strategies would in fact be teaching the wrong behavior. Of course I am speaking in generalities as none of know the rest of the story.

The last point I would like to make is one regarding the filmmaker. Aside from the creepy and low-tech camera work that looks like it is from 1992, we have some FERPA violations as well. Did this child's parent give consent to appear on this video explaining the timeout? Were the parents notified that you would be posting this online? I applaud the &quot;whistleblowing&quot; as this is a potentially serious issue (see Waukee timeout). As Waukee CSD learned from its egregious, yet well-intended mistake, Leeds must do the same. I am sure this is a case of well-intentions, however, if you are not educated about the procedure, DO NOT DO IT

As a certified school psychologist and behavior analyst, I must say there are many things wrong with this procedure portrayed in the video. First of all, this is in clear violation of <strong>Rules on Corporal Punishment, Physical Confinement and Detention, and Physical Restraint</strong> that most States have in their Code. I work in Iowa and this would be a direct violation of Chapter 103(b). I am certain North Dakota has similar statutes and laws.

Secondly, there is no indication that they are looking at function of behavior (reason why it is occurring). Timeout can be an effective procedure, but it typically, and usually, is not effective in isolation. I realize that we do not know what other strategies are being used, but it is a point that needs to be made. Timeout if used on a student whose function is &quot;escape&quot;, would be very dangerous. Dangerous in the fact that the student is more likely to escalate behavior if the function is not fulfilled immediately. Using this sparingly without other strategies would in fact be teaching the wrong behavior. Of course I am speaking in generalities as none of know the rest of the story.

The last point I would like to make is one regarding the filmmaker. Aside from the creepy and low-tech camera work that looks like it is from 1992, we have some FERPA violations as well. Did this child's parent give consent to appear on this video explaining the timeout? Were the parents notified that you would be posting this online? I applaud the &quot;whistleblowing&quot; as this is a potentially serious issue (see Waukee timeout). As Waukee CSD learned from its egregious, yet well-intended mistake, Leeds must do the same. I am sure this is a case of well-intentions, however, if you are not educated about the procedure, DO NOT DO IT

I would say it was a cell phone camera and the student is her daughter. The little yellow boxes say they snuck in to get film.

A google search for Waukee CSD was not helpful, care to provide any clues as to what happened or what your reffering to.

I googled Waukee CSD and added the word punishment and this is what I found. These people are frickin sickos.

http://www.bleedingheartland.com/diary/451/ Google is a wonderful thing and so helpful. Googlescholar is better for research though.

ND Parents Outraged Over School's Tiny 'Time Out' Room

Brittany Mears says her kindergarten-aged son was one of the students to have a time out in the room.

"He said, 'mom, it was too small. It was just a box. I couldn't play or anything in it,'" Mears said.

The lady's poor kid didn't have enough room to play while he was in time out for disrupting class.

I hope they keep it and start making these idiotic parents sit in there with their kids. :glare:

• Upvote 1

ND Parents Outraged Over School's Tiny 'Time Out' Room

The lady's poor kid didn't have enough room to play while he was in time out for disrupting class.

I hope they keep it and start making these idiotic parents sit in there with their kids. :glare:

You have no idea why her child was put in the room. What do you expect from a 5 year old kid? Their only concern in life is to play. They should put you in the room for awhile until you gain some common sense to see what is wrong here.
  • Upvote 2

That is exactly what they should do.

I suggest we put you in the room for awhile along with anyone who can not see the problem here and see how you like it. Or even better have one in your home and put your kids in it so when they go to school and tell the teacher about your room the next visitor at your door will be child protective services there to take away your kids.
  • Upvote 2

You have no idea why her child was put in the room. What do you expect from a 5 year old kid? Their only concern in life is to play. They should put you in the room for awhile until you gain some common sense to see what is wrong here.

When we were kids we either had to sit on the cold hard hallway floor or get sent to the office. Not that I ever had it happen to me. :hypocrite::whistling: Watchmaker probably sat out there with me a couple of times for all I know.

We homeschool our kids, so we don't have to use any locked time-out rooms, padded or not. They pretty much get the same treatment that I got, except it is wood floor.

When we were kids we either had to sit on the cold hard hallway floor or get sent to the office. Not that I ever had it happen to me. :hypocrite::whistling:

Meh. Back in my day, if we acted up, the teachers would send us to the dungeon and we'd be put on the rack, put in the Iron Maiden, and occasionally waterboarded. Kids have it way too easy these days ... :lol: