SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Spring Game--Notes

darell1976

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/

A couple notes as we head towards the annual Spring Game this weekend. Game time is 3pm on Saturday, April 21st. There is a full day of activities planned for kids and fans alike. More on that later this week.

■The tailgating atmosphere for the spring game should be impressive. Many local vendors and restaurants will be in attendance in the parking lot. There also will be another “rib cook-off” contest. Last year’s spring game tailgate was supposed to be pretty special, but bad weather thwarted that.They are hoping the weather holds up this year and have set their goal to break the all-time spring game attendance record from Spring of 2001 – the first year of the Alerus.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=181&map.y=112

Saturday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 54.

Does anyone know what the Sping Game record for attendance was in 2001?? I tried finding it but can't.

To me the offensive lines were the difference in this game. Bradley was given time to throw and he didn't disappoint. You can see the difference a year can make. Aside from a few errant throws (the one interception and likely should have been another), I think he was the best QB today. Problem with Hansen is that you never really got to see him sit in a pocket and make a throw, the green defense was on him all day.

Some pretty exciting plays and plenty of reasons to be excited for next season. Hardin is a stud, Townsend had the catch of the day, and Jackson is definitely a load to bring down. I like the confidence in McGill as well. Our receiving corps is definitely going to be a strength.

To me the offensive lines were the difference in this game. Bradley was given time to throw and he didn't disappoint. You can see the difference a year can make. Aside from a few errant throws (the one interception and likely should have been another), I think he was the best QB today. Problem with Hansen is that you never really got to see him sit in a pocket and make a throw, the green defense was on him all day.

Some pretty exciting plays and plenty of reasons to be excited for next season. Hardin is a stud, Townsend had the catch of the day, and Jackson is definitely a load to bring down. I like the confidence in McGill as well. Our receiving corps is definitely going to be a strength.

Fault of the OL?? Or is our pass rush that good.

Fault of the OL?? Or is our pass rush that good.

To me the white line was the weaker or more inexperienced one. It could have been pass rush but I think it was more OL fault. There were flashes of some good pass protection, but not enough to see what all the offense could do, at least not like what the green team accomplished.

I was there. Bradley had a good day, nice to know we have at least two quarterbacks ready to go - every team needs depth. I agree Bradley had the better offensive line but the gooth thing is he looked good behind them - no slam on Hansen.

I think we are going to see a very different offense this year - an exciting one with more throws downfield. I also think we are the dark horse of the Big Sky - we won't win it but we are more likely to be in the top 4 than the bottom 4.

Lots of recruits on site with their parents and great atmosphere for them to experience with all the food and tailgaters.

It was worth 7 hours in the car - 3 1/2 up, 3 1/2 back.

• Upvote 2

It wasn't like an Alabama Spring Game with 50,000 fans in the stands, it's tough for the crowd to get into it so there was plenty of lulls but great runs and long passes got the crowded up and cheering. Not a real game experience, tailgating was very good, nice crowd at its peak with the football team right in the middle of it munching along with everyone else and the recruits and parents.The recruits and their parents were enjoying the food, I think the recruits could appreciate that UND had tried to make the day something special. Crowd inside was good, better than last year with the lower bowl on the team side the only seating open and it was nicely filled out past the 20 yard line from what I could see.

I think that regardless of who the starter is we'll see both QB's play into the mix this season. One guy will struggle, and the other will come in for a quarter or a game to try and get the offense rolling.

Hopefully the two do a good job in the fall of mentoring the young man from Detroit Lakes in the fall. I'd say by this time next season we'll be talking about how Mollberg has a great opportunity to take the starting reigns from Bradley.

I think that regardless of who the starter is we'll see both QB's play into the mix this season. One guy will struggle, and the other will come in for a quarter or a game to try and get the offense rolling.

Hopefully the two do a good job in the fall of mentoring the young man from Detroit Lakes in the fall. I'd say by this time next season we'll be talking about how Mollberg has a great opportunity to take the starting reigns from Bradley.

This is a definite possibility, however I still wouldn't be surprised to see Molberg sitting his redshirt season. Bradley showed us yesterday that he is a true player and will be ready to be the starter for sure his senior year. I was truly having difficulties imagining Joey as the starter his senior year but if yesterday was any indication of the future I think we are in much better position than we have been in some time. As always time will tell and I am really excited to watch this play out!

I was very happy to see our QB's and WR's play very well. Should be an exciting year offensively. One thing that definitely does need improvement is our secondary. Many receivers were wide open. If we can get the secondary issues fixed by next year, we should have a very good an entertaining team next fall!

I was very happy to see our QB's and WR's play very well. Should be an exciting year offensively. One thing that definitely does need improvement is our secondary. Many receivers were wide open. If we can get the secondary issues fixed by next year, we should have a very good an entertaining team next fall!

remember with the db's dwayne brown is out from shoulder surgery and he was far and away the best freshman db which would have made a huge difference. The depth for one team in the real season should be fine, just not enough dbs with experience to field 2 teams for the spring game. O, and the recievers are outstanding.

I just took a quick peak at the schedule, and I would say that a 8-3 season is a real possibility. The first two games are pretty much layups (they should be layups, although I know nothing about Portland State), and after that they have some very winnable games.

South Dakota Mines-Win

Portland State-Win

San Diego State-Loss

Sacramento State-Win

Cal Poly-Win

Eastern Washington-Kind of a toss up, but I think the Sioux can beat this team.

Northern Arizona-Win

Montana-I'll give them a loss in this game.

Montana State-On the road, this is a loss probably.

Southern Utah-At home, a win.

Northern Colorado-Has to be a win.

So basically losses to the Montana schools and San Diego State. If they upset one of those Montana schools we could be talking about a possible postseason appearance. Kind of a stretch, but this team has the talent.

I agree that it is great the UND passing attack had a great day. But given poor the pass offense performed last season, I'm a bit concened that basically the same group had 3 100 yard receivers on the day against our D.