SiouxSports.com Forum

ND Supreme Court Rules against the NDSBoHE

Goon

I think it's strange that the ND Legislature and now the citizens of ND will vote to determine UND's nickname. Shouldn't the issue be decided by the admin, students, alumni, faculty and staff?

Yes it should. That got messed up initially in 2000, and even more messed up a year ago.
  • Upvote 1

Aces is one guy who says he is getting his friends and family to vote to keep the name to spite UND athletics. There are more people like him out there that are NOT on Bisonville.

WTF......like you know that and that is credible?!?!?! Good god. the bad thing about this whole vote is that the majority of ND residents will not care about thiss issue or the support of the athletic dept.

WTF......like you know that and that is credible?!?!?! Good god. the bad thing about this whole vote is that the majority of ND residents will not care about thiss issue or the support of the athletic dept.

So when Aces puts that on BVille I assume it would be true, or else you would have called him a liar on BVille which I never saw; have you asked him since you are a mod over there? The bad thing is that ND will not be educated enough to care about this issue. You will have NDSU fans thinking this is a great way to kill UND athletics. You have the die hard to the end SIoux fans voting yes, the SAB people and the NCAA haters voting to stick it to the NCAA. Too many groups to see where people stand on this issue.

<moderator's hat on>

I realize this is a little off topic, but why should someone be able to change "fix" another person's post?

It's how the text editor on this site works. I've wondered the same but there's no way to prevent it.

</moderator's hat on>

<moderator's hat on>

It's how the text editor on this site works. I've wondered the same but there's no way to prevent it.

</moderator's hat on>

Are you going to take that moderator's hat off or just keep putting it on over and over again? ;)

this site could use some more fair & balanced Mods (mentally)

actually it has been quite good hard to keep it civil - sports fanatics are nothing compared to duck hunter forums

The mods on this site care about UND, so it's understandable their opinions are going to be at odds with the nickname at all costs crowd.

<moderator's hat on>

</moderator's hat on>

Can't you make it so the quote function (where it makes the quote box graphic) doesn't work unless it matches the exact text of the post in reference?

I just got an email back from President Kelley, in my letter I told him if he would go against the state law since there is no said penalty or if the NCAA could sanction the state...here is his response:

Dear Darell:

Thanks for taking the time to send this encouraging note. I appreciate the sentiments it contains.

You and I are pretty much on the same page when it comes to the issues you outline. But personal desires aside, I will continue to follow the directives of the SBHE. They have the constitutional authority over each of the campuses in the university system, so, along with the chancellor, I take my marching orders from the board.

And thanks, too, for your informed support for UND. Talk with your friends and acquaintances, and see if you can bring them to your position in support of the university.

Best,

Bob

Looks like whatever the Board tells him to do he has to do it, and not to do anything other than what the board says.

Correct. Just like at my job I do what the boss wants not whatever I want.

Love to see the SBoHE tell UND, "Well, just do whatever you want. The nickname law has no teeth. No consequences. Do what you feel is best for the university and the athletic department."

• Upvote 1

Love to see the SBoHE tell UND, "Well, just do whatever you want. The nickname law has no teeth. No consequences. Do what you feel is best for the university and the athletic department."

I have a feeling Kelley would love to hear that from the board.

The nickname law is not a penal statute, it's not supposed to have "consequences" or "teeth" prescribed within. Nonetheless, the lack thereof doesn't give President Kelley or the SBHE free reign to disregard the laws of North Dakota. Much like the rest of chapters 15-10 through 15-16 of North Dakota's Century Code, which again are not penal statutes, the SBHE must follow what the legislature says. As a member of the executive branch, the SBHE has, in fact, a constitutional duty to faithfully execute the laws of the state.

Otherwise, President Kelley or the SBHE need to start a lawsuit, and we saw how that ended up (for now).

You apparently didn't see the slash in </moderator's hat on> or you don't understand HTML tags. :)

Wouldn't it be easier if they just put Moderators under your aviator like some of the other guys? :p:lol:

Edited by Goon