SiouxSports.com Forum

ND Supreme Court Rules against the NDSBoHE

Goon

Why does the NCAA punish all the schools in South Carolina when the transgression is the state flying a Confederate flag over the Confederate memorial on the state capital grounds? That flag has nothing to do with any school in the state. Expanding sanctions to all of North Dakota because of a statewide vote makes just as much sense.

I believe I read somewhere that if a SoCar or Mississippi school makes the playoffs, they can host. The NCAA just doesn't allow the state itself to host tournements such as....a Baseball regional, or March Madness games. A football game would be fair game.

EDIT: Just checked, Wofford is in South Carolina and has hosted playoff games. Go ahead, punish the state. Just means that we can't have NCAA tournements in North Dakota. Whoop-di-doo.

The rule is "host if earned", no pre-planned host sites, for SC and MS.

"Whoop-di-do" ... :lol:

If that's the attitude from the 'su faithful, I fail to understand the screaming opposition to statewide sanctions should the June and/or November votes pass.

Then that would knock Darell and Dave's ass out of it.

The bottom line is if one isolates the nickname issue it is purely a UND problem and a fight between UND fans. NDSU has not a damn thing to do with it. But.......the reality is this situation has been used by the Carlson crew in the Legislature to make a power grab. So, we all have a hell of a stake in this fight......and the fight is not going in a direction that is going to help Higher Ed. These petty damn arguments over whose football team is better will not mean !@#$ if the Legislature starts to micro-manage our schools.

And as could be expected, some of the biggest loudmouths on the board are guys that never even graduated from a SBOHE school.......I give you DaveK and Darell1976......they just don't get what is at stake......because the have no stake in either institution other that going to a few athletic events. Christ! :sad:

What scares me is that you can also use these words to describe quite a few folks in the legislature. I can't wait until they are making decisions and running/micromanaging ND Higher Ed...

:(

I believe I read somewhere that if a SoCar or Mississippi school makes the playoffs, they can host. The NCAA just doesn't allow the state itself to host tournements such as....a Baseball regional, or March Madness games. A football game would be fair game.

EDIT: Just checked, Wofford is in South Carolina and has hosted playoff games. Go ahead, punish the state. Just means that we can't have NCAA tournements in North Dakota. Whoop-di-doo.

Clemson was supposed to play host to the ACC baseball tournament for 3 years in Myrtle Beach. That's kind of like Minnesota playing host to the WCHA Final Five. It's a pretty big deal. As always, the host team has a distinct advantage. The ACC moved it to Greensboro, North Carolina. South Carolina used to be a host site for March Madness on a regular basis. They haven't been chosen as a site since the sanctions went into place. North Carolina has been chosen 7 or 8 times during that time. That is a lot of money for the state that South Carolina no longer gets to collect. The sanctions are different but many of the results are similar. A lot of conferences follow the same policy, so if they schedule conference tournaments in advance, South Carolina can't hold it. And if the winner of that tournament gets an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament it isn't fair to South Carolina schools.

But the sanctions are even important to sports you wouldn't think they would affect. FBS football shouldn't be affected since they are part of the BCS. Steve Spurrier, coach at South Carolina believes that it hurts his recruiting, http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6369123. Just being under some kind of sanctions can be used by other schools as a negative recruiting tool. Being under sanctions is a big deal.

I think UND Admin. or SBOHE should go to work now to give SL the name rights back asap - so there would be financial damages later

A way they could actually do something to help keep the name

I think UND Admin. or SBOHE should go to work now to give SL the name rights back asap - so there would be financial damages later

A way they could actually do something to help keep the name

Spirit Lake can use the Sioux name because they are Sioux. But UND isn't giving the rights to the Fighting Sioux nickname or logo to anyone. And it wouldn't be giving them back to Spirit Lake because Spirit Lake never gave them to UND. UND adopted the name because it was available and they filed for the trademark. But UND isn't giving it to Spirit Lake because that would defeat the purpose of giving up the name. At some time in the future it may make sense to turn over the rights, but not for several years until a new name has a chance to be established. Otherwise people would totally ignore the new name and use the old name, buying goods with the old name and logo.

The Arrogance / Bad atitude / lack of really trying to save the name & major screw ups by UND Admin. SBOHE & Alumni have made the people of ND angry - no effort to file out folks you think will change things will work - only make those that feel the ncaa is wrong more detremined to take it to the end.

Yes time will tell - cause your time was wasted & a mess

• Upvote 2

The Arrogance / Bad atitude / lack of really trying to save the name & major screw ups by UND Admin. SBOHE & Alumni have made the people of ND angry - no effort to file out folks you think will change things will work - only make those that feel the ncaa is wrong more detremined to take it to the end.

Yes time will tell - cause your time was wasted & a mess

What???
  • Upvote 1

The NC$$ has shown time and again they have no problem sanctioning one school/state one way and another school/state in a completely different way. Just because that's how the statewide sanctions were implemented for SC doesn't mean that's how they would be for ND.