SiouxSports.com Forum

No Family/No Chemistry

bigskybound12

Based on what I know its amazing this team won the amount of games this past year. Jones keeps talking about how they are family and the great chemistry they have. This is so far from the truth. The coaches do not treat hardly any of the players as so called family. When a player is down or needs help the coaches do nothing and basically ignore them. They communicate basically by text, thats right text. Players this year that did not travel where notified the day of travel by text and no explanations as to why. Basically dont pack you are not travelling. There is much more but I will jump to the chemistry issue. This team is divided big time amongst the players. You have Webb, Huff, Anderson, Antwi and Gentry on one side and the rest on the other side. These 5 call themselves the "five live" and was told after they won the championship these 5 formed a circle and celebrated among themselves while the others watched. If you closely watch games you can see they look for each other and not others. Many of you have mentioned how Jones has no discipline, that is true. He is so scared that huff is going to leave that he sais or does nothing to control him but yells at others all the time for the same mistakes that Huff makes but nothing is said to Huff. This causes alot of problems cause these players are not stupid. During one game a player asked Huff while on the bench why he doesnt cheer for the players on the court, Huff said F*ck you. Then this player asked again are you too good to cheer and he again said f*ck you. This is how it is. No chemistry at all. Dont know if these and other issues can be resolved but its going to take alot more from these coaches than they are showing. They must communicate and grow some balls. This is D1 basketball not elementary rec ball. so they need to start treating these players with respect and not just ignore them like they are nothing, ask Haugen how this goes. I hope these coaches grow, if not this team with its talent will be swallowed up in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

Based on what I know its amazing this team won the amount of games this past year. Jones keeps talking about how they are family and the great chemistry they have. This is so far from the truth. The coaches do not treat hardly any of the players as so called family. When a player is down or needs help the coaches do nothing and basically ignore them. They communicate basically by text, thats right text. Players this year that did not travel where notified the day of travel by text and no explanations as to why. Basically dont pack you are not travelling. There is much more but I will jump to the chemistry issue. This team is divided big time amongst the players. You have Webb, Huff, Anderson, Antwi and Gentry on one side and the rest on the other side. These 5 call themselves the "five live" and was told after they won the championship these 5 formed a circle and celebrated among themselves while the others watched. If you closely watch games you can see they look for each other and not others. Many of you have mentioned how Jones has no discipline, that is true. He is so scared that huff is going to leave that he sais or does nothing to control him but yells at others all the time for the same mistakes that Huff makes but nothing is said to Huff. This causes alot of problems cause these players are not stupid. During one game a player asked Huff while on the bench why he doesnt cheer for the players on the court, Huff said F*ck you. Then this player asked again are you too good to cheer and he again said f*ck you. This is how it is. No chemistry at all. Dont know if these and other issues can be resolved but its going to take alot more from these coaches than they are showing. They must communicate and grow some balls. This is D1 basketball not elementary rec ball. so they need to start treating these players with respect and not just ignore them like they are nothing, ask Haugen how this goes. I hope these coaches grow, if not this team with its talent will be swallowed up in the Big Sky.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Jones is shown the door soon. Maybe not this year but next year very luckily if things don't change and fast.

Sounds like somebodies mom or dad isn't very happy. This really isn't the place to throw coaches and/or teammates under the bus. Take it up with Coach Jones if you aren't happy your son/high school classmate didn't travel.

It also sounds like he/she has concrete examples and know what they are talking about. Anyone who has watched UND play the past few years can identify with some of the examples they stated. There are major chemistry and ball hog issues on this team and nobody can deny that.

I have heard about these issues also and know several to be true. There are issues that need to be fixed, but I also believe they can be. Now based on other topics it looks like we may have a couple of scholarships to offer, so lets go out and get some solid 4/5 players.

The person who started this forum first of all is OBVIOUSLY a player or a players parent. Don't try and disguise yourself behind a name and drop the bomb on coaches and players. You have clear details of situations that happened that a "fan" wouldn't have. Wait wait let me guess, a player told gave this information, highly doubt it. You just created a page to air out this team. Not cool buddy, not cool at all. We know about the problems that occur, they can and will be fixed. We just came off of a conference championship, be happy, and live in the moment. If "you" or your "child" are unhappy....simply transfer! Go Sioux! And Congrats again on the ship!

Why all of the criticism for the thread starter and none for Huff and company? I have been following Sioux BB since the 70's and can't remember anyone else behaving like he does. Coach needs to be control and not afraid of his players. Coach Daddy's reflexive defense of Jones non withstanding, this has been a serious issue for the Sioux. Jones needs to be in charge. He has a non-productive senior class on scholarship and a group of talented sophomores that he can't control. Things need to change. No one should be bigger than the program.

• Upvote 1

Not much of a stretch to believe that they could know somebody on the team or close to the team.

I will only say that if this person is looking for a family environment, then be an example of the kind of environment you espouse. I don't think airing dirty laundry on a forum is benefitting the family atmosphere you say is lacking.

Who cares how small the community is...that doesn't make it right. The person made a forum to air out coaches and players. That isn't cool. We should still be in "celebrating" mode. You guys amaze me with your negativity. I know there isn't much to do in Grand Forks, but seriously, give these guys a break. They won the conference. What more are u ppl expecting? There are going to be "in-house" issues in every sport of every program. We know recruiting bugs is a necessary, we know there has been some immaturity, we've seen a horrible road record; buy why in the hell are u guys still focused on that and the season is over, not to mention going into the big sky as previous conference champs, with 4 of our previous 5 starters returning. There are more things to do in life besides talk down on "our" mbb program. Life isn't so bad, I promise ppl.

I think its also important to remember that this team beat So. Dak. St. (played in the tournament) and Montana (also in the tournament). In spite of the "issues" discussed in this thread, this team has some talented kids and sometimes with talent comes ego. Don't disagree that a head coach has to deal with it but if he thought it was a problem I believe he would deal with it. Coach Jones has been around enough major college bball to realize a kid who's a dumbass from one who is a cancer. You can win with dumbasses, you can't with cancers.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like somebodies mom or dad isn't very happy. This really isn't the place to throw coaches and/or teammates under the bus. Take it up with Coach Jones if you aren't happy your son/high school classmate didn't travel.

Just like you posted on the womans bb forum, I have been around and I know players and their families. I am just sick of Jones talking about how much chemistry and how they are family is why I made this post. This is an open forum to discuss the good and bad of what we think. Everyone that knows any of the players knows what is going on. In spite of all of this I am very happy and excited they have won back to back championships. However, with this type of chemistry I fear the toughness of the Big Sky will show. We are not in the Great West anymore. We will have to have everything be right just to make the conference tournament. I will always be there to support but fear what I am hearing and seeing. Coaches must have discipline and develop these players. The development is not happening either. They are not helping them improve and that in itself is also an issue. There is more but since a lot of you don't want to read the truth at this point I will stop.

• Upvote 1

Just like you posted on the womans bb forum, I have been around and I know players and their families. I am just sick of Jones talking about how much chemistry and how they are family is why I made this post. This is an open forum to discuss the good and bad of what we think. Everyone that knows any of the players knows what is going on. In spite of all of this I am very happy and excited they have won back to back championships. However, with this type of chemistry I fear the toughness of the Big Sky will show. We are not in the Great West anymore. We will have to have everything be right just to make the conference tournament. I will always be there to support but fear what I am hearing and seeing. Coaches must have discipline and develop these players. The development is not happening either. They are not helping them improve and that in itself is also an issue. There is more but since a lot of you don't want to read the truth at this point I will stop.

Please don't stop posting what you know because some people in our fan base don't want to hear it. The duckies and bunnies mentality that has infected our fan base is very disturbing. You can't criticize anyone for anything or you are called a bad fan. Sometimes the truth, no matter how uncomfortable, needs to be told so that things can get fixed. We are going into Division I, we need to have all systems fully operational or this thing won't work out the way we are hoping.

• Upvote 1

I will only say that if this person is looking for a family environment, then be an example of the kind of environment you espouse. I don't think airing dirty laundry on a forum is benefitting the family atmosphere you say is lacking.

Exactly.

I think Faison is going to see what Jones can do the first year of the Big Sky and if we can't win the conference title or at least compete and end up in the cellar...then Jones should be fired. Let's just see what he can do with the BSC schedule and hopefully some more free throw practice.

I definately have to agree on the lack of development. Its been four years and players like Wilmer, Archer, Haugen etc have not shown any improvement in their game at all. I dont really think the sophomore class showed alot of improvement either from last year and there is definately talent there. Dont know about the other issues but we all know from watching there are issues.

Good post, Green Team. Whether or not the offended party is the poster, I totally agree with your recommendation that the offended party go to the offending party like a man to take care of the offense. That's a principal that has it's roots in Scripture (Matt. 18:15), and is the correct way to handle an offense.

Hope you continue to post.

So why is it every time someone posts something you don,t want to read it is a parent or a player? First, I am not a parent and second, no player is dumb enough to post about himself or the team. I am tired of how Jones portrays this team as in perfect chemistry and are together as one. If you want to continue to believe that than just go right ahead. I just stated a few facts and if you don't want to believe them then its your right. I have read so many negative posts in the past on this forum about players and coaches and which players should be cut or not cut. How is that positive for these players that you keep saying suck and should be cut loose. Its just Jones making everything sound so rosy when its not. Greenteam, if you are offended from my post then I don't know what you have been doing in the past when others post negative about the players. I'm addressing the coaches. Others have stated no chemistry and I am just pointing out examples of this. No direct communication and I am just also pointing out this. If the truth offends anyone than I am sorry. Wont happen again.

• Upvote 1

Excellent post Green Team.

Bigskybound. What are you basing Jones' attitude of "perfect chemistry" on? (Has he ever said that?, I dont' think so) A 20 second soundbite on TV or a quote in the newspaper? I never heard that. What exactly do you expect him to say when talking to the media? Do you want him to slam his players and their attitudes? It's called "coachspeak". All coaches do it. I don't want him to air any of team issues in the media. I tend to agree with some of the previous statements that Jones has been around big time college ball long enough to know the difference between ego and a cancer. It's a young squad and I'm patient enough to see what happens over the coming years now that we're through the transition.

You also say if the truth offends anyone you are sorry. What you anonymously state may or may not be exactly the truth. It's your unreferenced opinion. That's your right on a message board, but a big difference than "the truth."

Like you, I've been following Sioux BB for a long time. For me, since the mid 1960's. But, I don't know any of the coaches or players personally, so I don't have any special perspective. I do like the prospects going forward in D1 BB and the BSC schedule.

• Upvote 1

So why is it every time someone posts something you don,t want to read it is a parent or a player? First, I am not a parent and second, no player is dumb enough to post about himself or the team. I am tired of how Jones portrays this team as in perfect chemistry and are together as one. If you want to continue to believe that than just go right ahead. I just stated a few facts and if you don't want to believe them then its your right. I have read so many negative posts in the past on this forum about players and coaches and which players should be cut or not cut. How is that positive for these players that you keep saying suck and should be cut loose. Its just Jones making everything sound so rosy when its not. Greenteam, if you are offended from my post then I don't know what you have been doing in the past when others post negative about the players. I'm addressing the coaches. Others have stated no chemistry and I am just pointing out examples of this. No direct communication and I am just also pointing out this. If the truth offends anyone than I am sorry. Wont happen again.

bsb112 - your comments were very aggressive for a thread like this - but they certainly may correct. For you to be so outspoken about the program and coach Jones, you must have ties to the program in some manner. Can you give us some insight so we have a better feel about the accuracy of your post?