SiouxSports.com Forum

The Lastest from S.A.B.

Goon

If you have seen it, it's unbelievable... The guy has never spent a day in the university but is ready to throw UND under the bus to stick it to the NCAA... When the NCAA is the one doing the sticking. We're living with them? :silly:

--- According to the anti-nickname activists who have driven this controversy from years now, these NCAA sanctions are a death-knell for UND athletics. Except, now that UND is living with the sanctions, they’re proving to be no such thing.

They’re irritating, yes, but if anything the modifications to tournament programs and the special uniforms do more to make the NCAA’s policies look petty and foolish than diminish the reputation of UND. Fans see the uniforms, and they see the programs, and they see the support for the logo/nickname from actual Sioux Indians and they wonder why the NCAA is making such a fuss.

They’ve also got to be wondering why North Dakota’s anti-nickname university officials have been making such a fuss about the sanctions.
They’re here. We’re living with them
. They’re really not a big deal.
  • Upvote 2

The real impact of sanctions won't come until the Big Sky boots our collective butts out, we lose a home playoff football game that the team worked hard to earn and we are no longer playing Minnesota and Wisconsin in any sport (including hockey once the Big Ten Hockey Conference starts up). That is when the athletic department budget will drown in red ink, recruits will avoid us like the lepers we have become and the prestige and image of the institution will be tarnished forever. But according to Rob Port and his ilk, all of these things are "a small price to pay". :silly::angry:

Maybe Alcorn State can get us into their conference and we can exist as a backwater, bush league athletic program? After all, we would still have our name and logo. And isn't that all that really matters? :crazy:

We haven't lost a home playoff game (and the associated revenue and advantage), ... yet.

I wonder what Rob would say if someone makes an honest mistake and the NCAA forfeits our hockey team on Saturday (or Sunday ;) ).

What would you say if that happened?

I'd say captain Mario Lamoureux and his teammates were done a great disservice if it was an intentional sabotage.

The last four and a half periods from this team tell me they could win wearing even Minnesota's ugly jerseys (not that I'd punish Mario and the boys with something that horrific).

the logo at ncaa tournments

No, the question is: what is your investment into the skills it takes to compete at a DI collegiate athletic level. Not: are you willing to not fly a flag with a logo for a weekend or two (which we all know you are, and by the way, since you are a fan, you can still display the logo). Have you put the blood sweat and tears it takes to get to a national stage with your athletic ability to say that it is worth giving up what may be your only chance to win a national championship?

He's not the one asking the UND student athletes to give up advantages they may have earned, like a home field for the playoffs in football. You want the student athletes to give up something they have earned so that you don't have to give up a nickname and logo that you like.

Thank you, 82SiouxGuy.

to you, Fetch, I was not good enough to play collegiately in D-II, but I tried. so I sure could not compete on a D-I level. I am pretty confident these young men and women have spent many years training to get an opportunity to earn a national championship ring. I am in no position to ask them to throw it away for a nickname.

You are still avoiding the question, Fetch. what is your investment into the skills it takes to compete collegiately in athletics that you would be so willing to give up an opportunity to win a national championship?

With that... back to our regular programming.

They can still win championships - just don't wear the logo or use the name Sioux at ncaa portion of it all - pretty simple really

Who said the football team can't have home playoffs ?

More the sky may fall - you guys must be real worried about Dec. this year :crazy:

• Upvote 1

They can still win championships - just don't wear the logo or use the name Sioux at ncaa portion of it all - pretty simple really

More the sky may fall - you guys must be real worried about Dec. this year :crazy:

you're kidding, right?

• Upvote 2

Have you been sleeping or are you really stupid? One of the sanctions is not being able to host NCAA playoff games. The most obvious teams this can affect are the football team and the women's hockey team. UND could have the Number 1 ranked team in FCS football going into the playoffs and they would have to play the games on the road. UND will never host a playoff game in football as long as they are under sanctions. Of course if they are under sanctions very long they may not have a football team.
  • Upvote 4

Right. :silly:

Because everybody knows Alcorn State dropped their football program. :silly:

You anti-nickname people just LOOOOOOOOVE to be overly dramatic, don't you? It's really annoying.

Speaking of drama queens ...

Alcorn State also didn't have to try to get into/stay in a new conference. They're stuck playing in their own backwater. Moreover, UND is light years ahead of Alcorn State in every reasonable factor when it comes to academics, size, endowment, etc.

Do us UND fans a favor and start cheering for your "Braves" since you're so enamored of that name too, but have no ties to their school either.

• Upvote 3

You anti-nickname people just LOOOOOOOOVE to be overly dramatic, don't you? It's really annoying.

I am so sick and tired of people like you using Alcorn State as a prime example of how NCAA sanctions will do us no harm. Alcorn State is BAD in everything! Being under sanctions has NO IMPACT WHATSOEVER on Alcorn State. But a large majority of our teams are frequent visitors to NCAA postseason play and the sanctions will negatively impact our recruiting, scheduling and athletic department budgets. If we keep the name and logo at all costs, the Big Sky will likely give us the boot and that will plunge us into a sea of financial red ink. It is entirely possible that Kelley and Faison would soon determine that maintaining a football program under those circumstances is not feasible (financially and otherwise) and would then move to have the program dropped.

Not such a "small price to pay" anymore, is it? :angry:

• Upvote 2

If UND doesn't complete the transition, or if UND can't be a competitive program (like maybe because they can't host playoff games), then the Big Sky can and will kick UND out of the conference. If UND gets kicked out of the Big Sky Conference the football team will be eliminated within 3 to 5 years. Without a conference there aren't enough teams to play, there wouldn't be enough fans attending games and there wouldn't be enough money coming in to support the program. It will be just like Nebraska Omaha. It's too bad that you and the other nickname-at-all-cost people don't have the ability to understand the reality of the situation, or in the case of people like you, don't care enough about the program itself. You would rather destroy the program than lose the nickname.
  • Upvote 1

If UND doesn't complete the transition, or if UND can't be a competitive program (like maybe because they can't host playoff games), then the Big Sky can and will kick UND out of the conference. If UND gets kicked out of the Big Sky Conference the football team will be eliminated within 3 to 5 years. Without a conference there aren't enough teams to play, there wouldn't be enough fans attending games and there wouldn't be enough money coming in to support the program. It will be just like Nebraska Omaha. It's too bad that you and the other nickname-at-all-cost people don't have the ability to understand the reality of the situation, or in the case of people like you, don't care enough about the program itself. You would rather destroy the program than lose the nickname.

Not if Al Carlson makes a law that says that "the University of North Dakota fighting sioux football team must compete in the Football Championship Subdivision each calendar season. And there is nothing that anybody can do to stop it."

If Alcorn State is so bad then perhaps you could tell me how they were able to recruit athletes the caliber of Steve McNair and Donald Driver? Anxiously awaiting you to go on spin cycle now.

I don't have to go on "Spin Cycle" to answer that.

The two athletes you mentioned are the exception to the rule. Alcorn State had brief success with McNair at QB in the early 1990's (Sports Illustrated even put him on their cover with the headline "Hand Him the Heisman"). Alcorn St. has done nothing since and will likely do nothing ever again. Even the most backwater schools will occasionally produce NFL players. Jerry Rice played for Mississippi Valley St. and Walter Peyton played for Jackson St. Both of those guys are NFL Hall of Famers. And both of those colleges remain backwater institutions in the world of college athletics. If that is the type of institution you think UND should emulate, then you have bigger problems than losing the name and logo.

• Upvote 3

If Alcorn State is so bad then perhaps you could tell me how they were able to recruit athletes the caliber of Steve McNair and Donald Driver? Anxiously awaiting you to go on spin cycle now.

Weren't they already playing in the NFL by the time the sanctions were imposed? Who of that level has Alcorn State recruited since they were placed on sanctions?

Has Alcorn State been able to recruit athletes like that since the sanctions were put in place? Has that conference been relevant in the past decade? Sorry to hear that you have such low aspirations for UND football, oh wait, you don't really care about UND football.