SiouxSports.com Forum

Final 5 Schedule

UND>UM

I was wondering about the scheduling at Final 5 on Thursday? Some think that the higher TV draw gets the later game and other think it is pre-scheduled. Anyone have any info?

Based on last years schedule I don't think it is a TV draw. Last year UMD vs BSU was early and CC vs UAA was late. Seems to me the first game would be much better for ratings/attendance.

Thing is UMD was the #3 seed last year. So is it always 3 vs 6 early because the winner has to play the early game on Friday vs the 2 seed?

I know the right answer is to go to all the games, but I just cant swing 2 days off in one week. Hoping to take off Friday and see UND play the late game Thursday night.

I was wondering about the scheduling at Final 5 on Thursday? Some think that the higher TV draw gets the later game and other think it is pre-scheduled. Anyone have any info?

Based on last years schedule I don't think it is a TV draw. Last year UMD vs BSU was early and CC vs UAA was late. Seems to me the first game would be much better for ratings/attendance.

Thing is UMD was the #3 seed last year. So is it always 3 vs 6 early because the winner has to play the early game on Friday vs the 2 seed?

I know the right answer is to go to all the games, but I just cant swing 2 days off in one week. Hoping to take off Friday and see UND play the late game Thursday night.

Its all about the Benjamins at the Final 5. that is why there is the "Minnesota rule" They get the night games because they want miximum attendance. I think that there is an unoffical "North Dakota rule" where the WCHA would want to maximize attendance an viwership for UND since they have the second biggest following at the Final 5 behind Minnesota (when they are there). So I guess I would assume that they would move the UND game to the night game, but who knows.

I know there is a "Minnesota" rule, but this year it will not effect any on the games with the Goofs being the #1 seed.

If the Thursday game are flexible wouldn't they have moved the UMD vs. BSU game last year to the later game? i cant imagine CC vs. UAA had nearly as many fans in seats or viewers on TV.

Since Minnesota will play the 7pm game on Friday, the game that determines who plays them will be 7pm on Thursday. It wouldn't be (and never has been) fair to have a team play 7pm on Thursday, then turn around and play 2pm on Friday. That's always what happened when Minnesota was the 2 or 3 seed going into the Final Five. Since the 4/5 winner would play the #1 team, which the Minnesota Rule pushed to the 2pm game, the play-in winner had to play a game on short rest.

This new schedule of having two quarterfinals is actually better for scheduling, and for the Thursday teams, than the five-team format of the tournament.

Since Minnesota will play the 7pm game on Friday, the game that determines who plays them will be 7pm on Thursday. It wouldn't be (and never has been) fair to have a team play 7pm on Thursday, then turn around and play 2pm on Friday. That's always what happened when Minnesota was the 2 or 3 seed going into the Final Five. Since the 4/5 winner would play the #1 team, which the Minnesota Rule pushed to the 2pm game, the play-in winner had to play a game on short rest.

This new schedule of having two quarterfinals is actually better for scheduling, and for the Thursday teams, than the five-team format of the tournament.

Remember how the Gophers were "swept into oblivion" last year? Everyone has to win their way in, and since this is the WCHA I think anything could still happen. Seeding will be done after they know what teams are coming. The #1 Seed will Play Friday night, #2 Friday afternoon, Thurs afternoon game will play Friday afternoon, Thurs night winner will play Friday night.

Remember how the Gophers were "swept into oblivion" last year? Everyone has to win their way in, and since this is the WCHA I think anything could still happen. Seeding will be done after they know what teams are coming. The #1 Seed will Play Friday night, #2 Friday afternoon, Thurs afternoon game will play Friday afternoon, Thurs night winner will play Friday night.

Yes, you're right. I was assuming the #1 team wouldn't get beat by the #12 team in a best-of-three series. Probably a safe bet, but you're right.

Yes, you're right. I was assuming the #1 team wouldn't get beat by the #12 team in a best-of-three series. Probably a safe bet, but you're right.

Even if the current #1 loses (MN), it doesn't change the fact that the "new" #1 seed will play Friday night because the MN rule would not be in effect.

Question, why do they call it the final five when there is 6 teams?

Because when there was 10 teams in the WCHA, there was 5 teams that advanced to St. Paul. After they expanded to 12 teams, they wanted to keep the Final Five brand for its recognition. The 5 now refers to the number of games played at the X and not the number of teams there.

Edit: Smoggy beat me to it

If Denver wins, we have

#1 Minnesota (1st in WCHA regular season)

#2 Minnesota-Duluth (2nd)

#3 Denver (3rd)

#4 North Dakota (4th)

#5 St. Cloud State (6th)

#6 Michigan Tech (8th)

UND would play SCSU with the winner facing Minnesota in the semifinals. Denver would play MTU with the winner playing Duluth on Friday.

If Wisconsin wins, we have:

#1 Minnesota (1st)

#2 Minnesota-Duluth (2nd)

#3 North Dakota (4th)

#4 St. Cloud State (6th)

#5 Michigan Tech (8th)

#6 Wisconsin (10th)

In this case, UND would play Wisconsin with the winner facing Duluth in the semis. SCSU would draw Michigan Tech in a Husky Battle for the right to take on the Gophers.

Dave

Day Date Visiting Team Home Team Time

Sun

03/11/12

Wisconsin

at Denver

7:07 p.m. MT

transparent.gif

Fri

03/16/12

To Be Announced

vs Minnesota Duluth

2:07 p.m. CT

Fri

03/16/12

To Be Announced

vs Minnesota Duluth

2:07 p.m. CT

Fri

03/16/12

To Be Announced

vs Minnesota

7:07 p.m. CT

Fri

03/16/12

To Be Announced

vs Minnesota

transparent.gif

Sat

03/17/12

To Be Announced

vs Minnesota Duluth

Sat

03/17/12

To Be Announced

vs Minnesota Duluth

Sat

03/17/12

To Be Announced

vs Minnesota

Sat

03/17/12

To Be Announced

vs Minnesota

Sat

03/17/12

Minnesota Duluth

vs Minnesota

Took this screen grab from wcha.com, thought it was kinda funny that they have the goofy one's schecduled already to play in the championship game against UMD. I thought they had to actually play the games.

OK sorry for the above post, I thought it was going to load just as I had copy and pasted it. But you can still notice that UM and UMD are scheduled to play saturday at 7pm. And before I get blasted I did post this as a joke I realize that they are not serious and it was just filled in that way for some reason.

Siouxsports.com brunch is 11 am Friday at Hoggsbreath, 2504 Rice St. in Little Canada. Be there for great stories and to meet other posters.

I'm going to try to get my car serviced Friday morning. Last time I was there, they gave me a loaner. Hope they do it again so I can see ya there!!!

I'm going to try to get my car serviced Friday morning. Last time I was there, they gave me a loaner. Hope they do it again so I can see ya there!!!

Oh here we go with the excuses...I can hear it already..."I was gonna come, but..."...