SiouxSports.com Forum

Senior Day: Utah Valley @ North Dakota

dakotadan

I had hoped that the NDSU game would have sparked interest for the students in UND basketball, and now I hope this game will do the same. I wasn't there, but listening on the radio and watching the replay of the game, the atmosphere reminded me of my time at UND in the mid-90's. It was alot of fun to be at basketball games then. This team has struggled immensely for various reasons the last several years, but at the very least the last two seasons of home games have been an exciting brand of basketball to watch. I wish the students especially and the casual local GF sports fans would appreciate that. Hopefully they can be competitve in the Big Sky because having something to play for obviously means alot in GF.

I'm really looking forward to next season with Big Sky play and a consistent schedule. Knowing that the conference schedule will provide at least 5 home Saturday games all season, I'm really thinking of getting season tix.

I was just thinking do you guys think Nick Haugen and Spencer Goodman will come back next year? Haugen has got little playing time this year and I believe was hurt recently. Goodman is talented enough to get regular playing time but can't catch a break with injuries.

I was just thinking do you guys think Nick Haugen and Spencer Goodman will come back next year? Haugen has got little playing time this year and I believe was hurt recently. Goodman is talented enough to get regular playing time but can't catch a break with injuries.

We've all talked alot about a schollie being pulled from a current player. I don't know alot about Haugen's situation, but Goodman's situation reminds me alot of Tom Dryburgh's. He was often injured in just two seasons to the point where had to just hang it up. Maybe that is what will happen with Goodman........................

We've all talked alot about a schollie being pulled from a current player. I don't know alot about Haugen's situation, but Goodman's situation reminds me alot of Tom Dryburgh's. He was often injured in just two seasons to the point where had to just hang it up. Maybe that is what will happen with Goodman........................

From what I heard Goodman's rehab is around 9 months possibly. Thats till December. Don't know about medical redshirts since he only played 3 games this year. Haugen does not play nor travel with the team this year. Unfortunately Haugen would be my guess to have his scholly pulled first. Next I would maybe guess Archer and then a toss up between Goodman and Wilmer. I have said before it will be a difficult decision for the coaches cause all of these players are great young men.

Wish there was a jumbotron at the Betty. I was at the game, but was watching the play and not the clock so I have no idea if Mitchell really got the shot off in time or not.

I must say that although Hunsaker is clearly a good coach, he's a bit too whiny for my taste. He's had more than his share of good fortune against UND. Today the shoe was on the other foot, so deal with it.

Hunsaker had a very legitimate beef with the clock operator. Anderson had the ball for at least a second before the clock started. Not a chance Mitchell gets the shot off if the clock was started on time.

Hunsaker had a very legitimate beef with the clock operator. Anderson had the ball for at least a second before the clock started. Not a chance Mitchell gets the shot off if the clock was started on time.

I don't think so. I was watching for just that and it started when the ref dropped his arm. Not sure which clock it is set too, but watch the video above that has the time with it. Everything looks more than legit.

• Upvote 1

Jones could have had an equal beef with the officiating at the end as there was a lot of contact on Anderson's shot with no foul call. If you call it on Brekke at the other end, you have to give Anderson that call in return. As it is, things worked out well and Mitchell makes one of the biggest shots of his career in his final home game.

Back to next year. With players like Haugen and Archer and Goodman. What will UND do? Pull scholarships? Would any of them transfer?

I don't want to make any predictions with regard to the fate of any individual player, but my feeling is that in most cases, it only makes sense to bring somebody back on scholarship for a fifth year if that player is likely going to be a part of the regular rotation. I think it comes down to what really is the purpose of red shirting? It's supposed to be beneficial to both the program and the player. But if the player isn't contributing on the court, then the benefit of the red shirt becomes fairly one-sided in favor of the player if he's brought back for a fifth year on scholarship with little hope of actually playing more than mop-up minutes. I know some disagree, but IMO when you recruit a kid, you should commit to a four-year scholarship (just like the non-red shirts get). The fifth year should not necessarily be guaranteed.

Back to next year. With players like Haugen and Archer and Goodman. What will UND do? Pull scholarships? Would any of them transfer?

If they want to compete and possibly make it to the dance in the next 2 years with this sophomore class then they must pull scholarships. I believe they have the talent with the 5 sophomores but they need help to compete in the Big Sky, especially on the road. Mitchell needs replaced with an immediate impact player, probably a JUCO.

If they want to compete and possibly make it to the dance in the next 2 years with this sophomore class then they must pull scholarships. I believe they have the talent with the 5 sophomores but they need help to compete in the Big Sky, especially on the road. Mitchell needs replaced with an immediate impact player, probably a JUCO.

A JUCO or TWO is a must to get really serious about next year. Too late to bring in any big HS talent for next year and maybe even the year after. Someone in this men's program needs to gain some recruiting skills and sell this program to a big kid or two. I am so darned tired of seeing only guards and small forwards!

Have you ever tried to recruit at the D1 level? Everyone is trying to get impact bigs out of the JUCO's. It will be a battle. Do you really think that we are not trying to get impact Bigs as we speak. My goodness you seem to imply that our coaches never leave GF. Uh, I have a pretty good feeling that they are crisscrossing the country trying to find that guy or guys. They seem to be a passionate bunch on trying to find players who can make this team better. One would have to be pretty dense to think that after having gone through the entire pain of the D1 transition only to get content and then just shrug your shoulders and go "well we're good where we're at"

Besides- please also consider... a little bird told me that, we had the inside track on a 6'9-10 JUCO who was an impact player- unfortunately he has since backed off on his interest...because as it was told to me. Another school from the Big Sky gave the impression to the young guy that there was no guarantee that he would have a chance to compete for the NCAA for both years, because there was no guarantee that UND would remain in the Big Sky. (yes, the nickname issue) If that is true...then that is not good. It means that indeed other schools are indeed using it as ammunition in the current recruiting battles. Do we really need to be having to climb that mountain as well?

Have you ever tried to recruit at the D1 level? Everyone is trying to get impact bigs out of the JUCO's. It will be a battle. Do you really think that we are not trying to get impact Bigs as we speak. My goodness you seem to imply that our coaches never leave GF. Uh, I have a pretty good feeling that they are crisscrossing the country trying to find that guy or guys. They seem to be a passionate bunch on trying to find players who can make this team better. One would have to be pretty dense to think that after having gone through the entire pain of the D1 transition only to get content and then just shrug your shoulders and go "well we're good where we're at"

Besides- please also consider... a little bird told me that, we had the inside track on a 6'9-10 JUCO who was an impact player- unfortunately he has since backed off on his interest...because as it was told to me. Another school from the Big Sky gave the impression to the young guy that there was no guarantee that he would have a chance to compete for the NCAA for both years, because there was no guarantee that UND would remain in the Big Sky. (yes, the nickname issue) If that is true...then that is not good. It means that indeed other schools are indeed using it as ammunition in the current recruiting battles. Do we really need to be having to climb that mountain as well?

If anyone is shocked that other schools are using the nickname issue to recruit against UND they haven't been paying attention. That is one of the silent killers that the nickname-at-all-costs group don't see. A lot of good athletes are going to avoid UND because of the threat of sanctions, even if they don't know what those sanctions actually are. Recruiting in all sports is getting harder for UND because of that issue.

I would just be satisifed if we could find a couple more players in the Mitchell/Brekke mode. Finding a 6'8"-plus kid from the juco ranks who can really play is probably a longshot given the number of dI schools in the market for such players. Finding a versatile 6'6" or 6'7" kid from the upper midwest who can shoot a little bit should be quite realistic. There are players like that in the NSIC right now.

Hey, Dale Lennon admits recruits have told him that it has been done.

That means it is being done, and will continue to be done as long as it can be, in all sports.

(And honestly, why wouldn't Dale participate in it as well. Recruiting is dog-eat-dog.)

Hey, Dale Lennon admits recruits have told him that it has been done.

That means it is being done, and will continue to be done as long as it can be, in all sports.

(And honestly, why wouldn't Dale participate in it as well. Recruiting is dog-eat-dog.)

They don't have to say a lot. Just mention that the school is under NCAA sanctions for any playoffs. That alone is going to scare a lot of kids off because they aren't going to do a lot of research to learn about the sanctions.