SiouxSports.com Forum

Change the name gaining support

GeauxSioux

Like I said before take the name; I agree it is time. I do disagree about the reasons and the results. First I say keep new name talks out of the blog and change the name to a old tradition or at least change the name for the right reason. Don't be someone who says they want the name gone because of the sports. People are more important then sports.

Like I said before take the name; I agree it is time. I do disagree about the reasons and the results. First I say keep new name talks out of the blog and change the name to a old tradition or at least change the name for the right reason. Don't be someone who says they want the name gone because of the sports. People are more important then sports.

The name only exists at UND because of sports. Without the sports, no one would be talking about the Fighting Sioux. And if you don't like talking about a new name, don't read it. You can't separate the nickname and sports.

I have a solution for the nickname-at-all-costers. UND can create an intramural team and call it the Fighting Sioux. After all, if they get their way that might be the highest level of sports that UND can offer. They can wear all their gear, go to the games, and yell Go Sioux all they want. All of the games could be held at Ralph Engelstad, in the big arena. That would satisfy everyone. How about it Fetch, does it work for you? And then the fans of the University of North Dakota can move on to compete in Division I.

• Upvote 1

These same public figures aught to be using their influence to point out how idiotic the NCAA's stance vis-a-vis a nickname with overwhelming support of at least one tribe is.

Anybody paying attention to the FACT that not one of the National or out of North Dakota media stories being written regarding the latest round in the Fighting Sioux Name fight have included in them that the Spirit Lake Tribe has sanctioned a lawsuit against the NCAA and that the same group started the petititions?

No biggie, it just changes the tenor of the whole debate; I'm sure it was just an oversight in about a dozen national articles/talkshows regarding our fight; I'm sure they would have accomplished the same goal of making us look like a buck of over zealous;retarded and ignorant sports fans even with that little FACT added to their stories? huh scottM??

I have a solution for the nickname-at-all-costers. UND can create an intramural team and call it the Fighting Sioux. After all, if they get their way that might be the highest level of sports that UND can offer. They can wear all their gear, go to the games, and yell Go Sioux all they want. All of the games could be held at Ralph Engelstad, in the big arena. That would satisfy everyone. How about it Fetch, does it work for you? And then the fans of the University of North Dakota can move on to compete in Division I.

How about all of the UND teams that compete in the Big Sky can remove the name so the Big Sky has no issues with those rabid protests that will surely ensue on their campuses and the hockey team can keep their name and see how long Minnesota and Wisconsin go until they miss our fans spending their money in their f&cking arenas. (see the Frozen Four last year, or the Final Five every year)...

I just picked up my tickets to this weekends games in Denver. At DU, they charge $8 extra for a ticket to the SIOUX games. I wonder if Full-of=it=ton thinks this is economic unviability???

How about all of the UND teams that compete in the Big Sky can remove the name so the Big Sky has no issues with those rabid protests that will surely ensue on their campuses and the hockey team can keep their name and see how long Minnesota and Wisconsin go until they miss our fans spending their money in their f&cking arenas. (see the Frozen Four last year, or the Final Five every year)... I just picked up my tickets to this weekends games in Denver. At DU, they charge $8 extra for a ticket to the SIOUX games. I wonder if Full-of=it=ton thinks this is economic unviability???
See everybody!! That's a pun made out of someone's name. It means the poster is clever...like taking Jeremy Lin's last name and making new words out of it, like "Linsanity". So clever.

See everybody!! That's a pun made out of someone's name. It means the poster is clever...like taking Jeremy Lin's last name and making new words out of it, like "Linsanity". So clever.

Eww , ya found a chink in my armor! Maybe we should all go to the DU ticket office and request our Fighting Sioux surcharge refunded on the grounds of their Misguided cleverness.

How about all of the  UND teams that compete in the Big Sky can remove the name so the Big Sky has no issues with those rabid protests that will surely ensue on their campuses and the hockey team can keep their name and see how long Minnesota and Wisconsin go until they miss our fans spending their money in their f&cking arenas.  (see the Frozen Four last  year, or the Final Five every year)...

I just picked up my tickets to this weekends games in Denver.  At DU, they charge $8 extra for a ticket to the SIOUX games.  I wonder if Full-of=it=ton thinks this is economic unviability???

Great point. There is no way that Wisconsin or Minnesota will be able to keep their doors open without those two games per year vs. UND. Not a chance.

How about all of the UND teams that compete in the Big Sky can remove the name so the Big Sky has no issues with those rabid protests that will surely ensue on their campuses and the hockey team can keep their name and see how long Minnesota and Wisconsin go until they miss our fans spending their money in their f&cking arenas. (see the Frozen Four last year, or the Final Five every year)...

I just picked up my tickets to this weekends games in Denver. At DU, they charge $8 extra for a ticket to the SIOUX games. I wonder if Full-of=it=ton thinks this is economic unviability???

I have a great idea for the DU marketing folks. If they referred to every opponent as the 'Sioux" they could sell out every home game and charge more for each seat.

COME SEE YOUR DENVER PIONEERS TAKE ON THE ST CLOUD STATE SIOUX!

"I have a solution for the nickname-at-all-costers. UND can create an intramural team and call it the Fighting Sioux. After all, if they get their way that might be the highest level of sports that UND can offer. They can wear all their gear, go to the games, and yell Go Sioux all they want. All of the games could be held at Ralph Engelstad, in the big arena. That would satisfy everyone. How about it Fetch, does it work for you? And then the fans of the University of North Dakota can move on to compete in Division I. "

I could go for that take it to H.S. sports too - but forget the D1 crapola - I even think average tax payers are getting so sick of sports that as soon as austerity measures kick in sports will be gone

Then the AHL team will be even more popular & profitable :silly:

Folks, this is no longer about monikers or respecting tribal wishes. That's long gone.

This is about the NCAA having a signed agreement and the NCAA flexing their muscles. Pure and simple. We can argue about how we got here and what could've gone differently, but it won't change that fact.

This is about the NCAA having a signed agreement and the NCAA flexing their muscles.

• Upvote 2

"I have a solution for the nickname-at-all-costers. UND can create an intramural team and call it the Fighting Sioux. After all, if they get their way that might be the highest level of sports that UND can offer. They can wear all their gear, go to the games, and yell Go Sioux all they want. All of the games could be held at Ralph Engelstad, in the big arena. That would satisfy everyone. How about it Fetch, does it work for you? And then the fans of the University of North Dakota can move on to compete in Division I. "

I could go for that take it to H.S. sports too - but forget the D1 crapola - I even think average tax payers are getting so sick of sports that as soon as austerity measures kick in sports will be gone

Then the AHL team will be even more popular & profitable :silly:

http://www.westhope.k12.nd.us/

Fetch, I have solved your problems. I give you the Westhope High School Sioux. Feel free to focus your time, money and adoration on them and their nickname.

• Upvote 1

Anybody paying attention to the FACT that not one of the National or out of North Dakota media stories being written regarding the latest round in the Fighting Sioux Name fight have included in them that the Spirit Lake Tribe has sanctioned a lawsuit against the NCAA and that the same group started the petititions?

No biggie, it just changes the tenor of the whole debate; I'm sure it was just an oversight in about a dozen national articles/talkshows regarding our fight; I'm sure they would have accomplished the same goal of making us look like a buck of over zealous;retarded and ignorant sports fans even with that little FACT added to their stories? huh scottM??

All u 'always got sumthin to say' crowd got nothin for this one huh?

All u 'always got sumthin to say' crowd got nothin for this one huh?

Maybe the fact that none of them are making a big deal of it should show you it isn't that as big a deal as you think it is. No one has hidden the fact that Spirit Lake has filed a lawsuit. No one has hidden the fact that they are part of the group trying to get the name put into law. Yet none of them seem to care. So it doesn't really seem to change the tenor nearly as much as you think it does.

There, was that enough for you?

Maybe the fact that none of them are making a big deal of it should show you it isn't that as big a deal as you think it is. No one has hidden the fact that Spirit Lake has filed a lawsuit. No one has hidden the fact that they are part of the group trying to get the name put into law. Yet none of them seem to care. So it doesn't really seem to change the tenor nearly as much as you think it does.

Short of personally communicating with members of the Spirit Lake Sioux or communicating with others who have communicated with them, please tell meet how something is not "hidden" if the media doesn't report it?

Oh, I see, the media decides what is "big deal" and what isn't huh?... Nice one!

Of course in this case CNN, the AP, ESPN, the washington Post, the Star Tribune, Dan

Barreiro, and every other media source outside of North Dakota did decide the name change story was a big enough deal to report on in the last couple weeks, while at the same time they decided including the facts that I mentioned above regarding spirit lakes involvement in everything WAS NOT a big enough deal to include in their stories. Hmmm?

Short of personally communicating with members of the Spirit Lake Sioux or communicating with others who have communicated with them, please tell meet how something is not "hidden" if the media doesn't report it?

They have had multiple press conferences. It was covered by all news media in North Dakota and that is available to the rest of the country. The AP had the story. It has even been mentioned in other places. No one is hiding it. People don't care. And if they do, not all of them are going to think the same way you do. This isn't going to be the movement that you think it should be.

You want national media attention. Check out the Star Tribune column by Rachel Blount from yesterday. It has been picked up by multiple newspapers around the country. It was also linked in one of these threads. It isn't favorable to your side of the argument.

Oh, I see, the media decides what is "big deal" and what isn't huh?... Nice one!

Of course in this case CNN, the AP, ESPN, the washington Post, the Star Tribune, Dan

Barreiro, and every other media source outside of North Dakota did decide the name change story was a big enough deal to report on in the last couple weeks, while at the same time they decided including the facts that I mentioned above regarding spirit lakes involvement in everything WAS NOT a big enough deal to include in their stories. Hmmm?

I just did a quick search. I found mentions on time.com, washingtonpost.com, foxnews.com, yahoo.com and many other sites. All mention that the Spirit Lake tribe has filed a lawsuit against the NCAA and that tribe members were an active part of the referendum process. I'm sure that there were many more. Just like I said, no one is hiding that fact. But it hasn't ignited any groundswell of support that you keep looking for.

I just did a quick search. I found mentions on time.com, washingtonpost.com, foxnews.com, yahoo.com and many other sites. All mention that the Spirit Lake tribe has filed a lawsuit against the NCAA and that tribe members were an active part of the referendum process. I'm sure that there were many more. Just like I said, no one is hiding that fact. But it hasn't ignited any groundswell of support that you keep looking for.

There's no "groundswell" because most thinking people who have no ties to the state or school consider this to be a local issue, or non-issue. Nobody in MSM or "the corridors of power" really cares about SL, or UND's team name beyond the occasional story or editorial. If anything, the whole mess Clueless Al spawned last year makes the entire state look like it's home to provincial rubes, conspiracy theorists and other assorted nuts It's an embarrassment to the state, and its people. All we need is Clueless Al stating that Crazy Horse or Frank Sinatra visited him in a vision and the lunacy will be going full-tilt.

• Upvote 1

There's no "groundswell" because most thinking people who have no ties to the state or school consider this to be a local issue, or non-issue. Nobody in MSM or "the corridors of power" really cares about SL, or UND's team name beyond the occasional story or editorial. If anything, the whole mess Clueless Al spawned last year makes the entire state look like it's home to provincial rubes, conspiracy theorists and other assorted nuts It's an embarrassment to the state, and its people. All we need is Clueless Al stating that Crazy Horse or Frank Sinatra visited him in a vision and the lunacy will be going full-tilt.

You mean North Dakota is not full of provincial rubes, conspiracy theorists, and other assorted nuts? Could have fooled me since I saw them everyday in North Dakota for 49 years.