SiouxSports.com Forum

Change the name gaining support

GeauxSioux

Ok now I have to say this. Fightingsioux4life I said yesterday that I agreed with you about the name change; however, when you put videos like this up against fellow Sioux fans. You really are making the program look bad. By the way you told me that we had a few years until the name idea will begin. Why do we not lock the name blog down until then. I get so angree seeing it. Let the younger fans like myself have time to adjust without the nasty videos.

I am finished playing Mr. Nice Guy with these people. They are endangering the future of UND as a whole and must be called out for what and who they are. And if you really think a clip from Billy Madison is "nasty", you haven't been online all that much.

The contention that Spirit Lakes approval back in 2005/2006 would have granted UND an exemption to the policy is not backed by the NC$$'s own response to the lawsuit UND filed.

It may be that the schools that got exemptions from the NC$$ policy did not have any namesake tribes that were vocal opponents of using their nickname, that is what the NC$$ is contending in their legal response. If that is the case then the policy was not applied unfairly, hard to say for sure as there is no written document on how their exemption policy is applied. In UND's case, to blame Spirit Lake for not getting the exemption is unfair and not based on the evidence that I see.

Look again at the article you linked to earlier. They got a total of 3 letters, 2 from Standing Rock and 1 from the University president. They got zero response from Spirit Lake. All they wanted was 1 official written response granting approval form 1 namesake tribe. The only official tribal response they got was from Ron His Horse is Thunder, who had been against the name forever. Of course they were going to deny the appeal with that response. The second tribal response was not from an official that was able to speak for the tribe. Spirit Lake refused to give any input of any kind.

The tribal council at Spirit Lake could have communicated their approval during the appeal process and avoided all of this mess the past 5 or 6 years. They had passed a resolution in 2000 to support the name, but they refused to say anything in 2005 or 2006. All they had to do was say "Yes, we passed the resolution in 2000 and nothing has changed" as long as they put it in writing. As Sic noted, they wouldn't even speak to Kupchella. That silence spoke volumes. It also shows some of the potential issues that you might run into when dealing with tribal governments.

I'm not going to blame Spirit Lake for this mess. They could have changed it, but they didn't cause it. UND has not done a great job of working with the reservations over the years. They have great programs for the students, but don't have great relationships with the tribal governments. And the NCAA has stepped way over the line in handling this issue. That is wear the vast majority of the blame lies. Both Spirit Lake and Standing Rock could have changed the outcome if they had reacted differently.

sioux fans. Iknow Ispell like a baby, but at least I talk and stay a sioux fan not a knights, airplane, or any other fan.

Every person that you have been communicating with is a Sioux fan and a University of North Dakota fan. There is a small group of people on this site that would be willing to let the University of North Dakota athletic teams die if they could keep the Sioux name. Many of the rest of us are very tired of that attitude, which is where the alumni versus sports only fans discussion got started. You might want to realize what these people are trying to say, and not take it all so personal.

Here is a small tip for you. Try typing your responses on Word or whatever word processing software you use. When you have it the way you want, copy and paste into the Reply box here. That should correct most spelling problems and eliminate that issue for your posts. Then you might be able to get your thoughts through more clearly. Clear communications is important if you plan to get into the media.

Watch the video read up on him And be brave enough to say that to the leaders of the Daniels Found Foundation. They donate more then anyone and help people go to college. He may be dead, but his legacy will live forever.

For those who will say this has nothing to do with the Sioux think again Sioux fans need to learn how to treat people who disagree with them. By the way GO SIOUX.

http://www.danielsfund.org/

fine with me. A game is a game. LCCC would be happy to play a university.

I hope you are joking. If not, you have a lot of reading and understanding to do. I would prefer the University of North Dakota be associated with other Universities like Montana, Montana State, Cal-Poly, UC-Davis, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. A game is not a game. Playoff guidelines for sports are very clear about that.

• Upvote 1

How long have we gone without a playoff system or home court advantage? I can live with out it. Don't forget the debate started over what the Native thought; not over who people of North Dakota wanted to play.

Finally your true feelings are coming out after all that nostalgia bullsh*t you said earlier. Nobody bit so you turned back into Fetch 2.

• Upvote 2

How long have we gone without a playoff system or home court advantage? I can live with out it. Don't forget the debate started over what the Native thought; not over who people of North Dakota wanted to play.

We have been without a playoff system or home court advantage in the playoffs during the transitition. Before that UND was a regular in the playoffs and normally had home field. Both are important to the future. You can live without them most of us can't. Now we're back to the alumni versus people without a real connection to the University. As I explained yesterday, being under sanctions will hurt the University and the Athletic Department. While you can live without them, the University will have a hard time living without them. This is very much about who the University should be playing. And it isn't about the "super cool, neato" logo and nickname. You truly do not understand the situation. Remember, without the Athletic Department there is no logo or nickname.
  • Upvote 2

The 80's were harsh, all that new wave music & Boy George & George Michaels, Milli Vanilli - but try & learn from 82's bad habits & remember this is 2012 & not turn this into something about who can come up with the most condescending personal attack

I do believe those playoffs were in D2 - we can survive until SL wins their lawsuit - if not have your own referral vote & stop the Big Sky from falling

I will admit I liked Talking Heads & Men at Work & The Cars & the Police though :silly:

The 80's were harsh, all that new wave music & Boy George & George Michaels, Milli Vanilli - but try & learn from 82's bad habits & remember this is 2012 & not turn this into something about who can come up with the most condescending personal attack

I do believe those playoffs were in D2 - we can survive until SL wins their lawsuit - if not have your own referral vote & stop the Big Sky from falling

I will admit I liked Talking Heads & Men at Work & The Cars & the Police though :silly:

First of all, "your" referral has to survive the Supreme Court. If it does that, it has to be voted on in June. That's if there are enough qualified signatures after the Secretary of State finished his review. And if it is successful, it still could be removed by the state legislature by a 2/3 majority. That is approximately the percentage that voted for the repeal in November. UND supporters will fight through each step, trying to educate the population of North Dakota at the same time. All of those steps would be well before another referendum on the issue.

And of course those playoffs were in Division 2, that's what division UND was in before they started the transition. What other playoffs would they have been in? Unfortunately, if the nickname-at-all-costers are successful it may be the last playoffs that UND sees for a long, long time. Maybe even in hockey.

I do find it entertaining to read posts like this from people that "can live with out it" while, if you'll please forgive the reiteration of a previous post, those actually tasked with shouldering the burden, would most definitely not "live with out it". To the contrary, those people are mobilizing so they won't be made to "live with out it".

It's very big of you though, to bear that cross and offer to "live with out it". Very big indeed.