SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting Tidbit

sodakfan

Football related info from a semi-reliable source:

RECRUITING

We have 8-10 commitments at this time but the only three that could be confirmed were the ones we are aware of: Dressler, Caufield and Rohde. Apparently Rohde has outstanding speed and quickness - sounds a lot like Dressler.

The Bison have gotten a couple of kids we wanted because they were able to offer full rides compared to our partials. We better get used to that scenario. With their adding 20 scholarships this year, this will happen often in years to come.

Kole Heckendorf had a good visit to UND last weekend. He is considering St. Cloud, where his brother was the All-American QB, and will be visiting Grand Valley State this weekend. He is at the top of our WR list - it would be great to get him.

The top QB on the list is supposed to be out of Kenosha, WS. He is supposed to be a big kid who was accompanied to UND by his father, the coach of his HS team. In searching the web, there appears to be a great QB out of Kenosha St. Josephs, Dan Freund. His dad is the principal of the HS - couldn't verify if he was the coach. This kid is "only" 6'1", 190 so I am not sure he is the "big" kid that was in for the visit. Earlier we had heard that UND was looking at QB Mike Klepatz out of New Berlin, WS. He is 6'6" - I suppose it could have been him. I hope it was Freund!

This QB and Heckendorf spent a lot of time together - it would be great to land them both!

I got the impression that one of the commitments might be the Stadnyk DE out of Regina.

It appears that both Brennan and Carney will be back next year. That really creates a log jam at QB. And, Groeschel prefers to move back to QB!

NEXT YEAR'S SCHEDULE

We may have as many as eight home games next year. We know about Central Washington and Mesa but Delta State, Ferris St. and Kutztown St. may also come to GF. The schedule should be finalized soon. We would likely pay guarantees to these schools rather than "home & home" arrangements. No more Crookstons!!!

AGAIN - this info is unofficial - it may or may not be fact.

Great info. :)

Here is hoping it is true, and that the Stadnyk kid did, in fact, verbal. If so, he would have to be up there with Lotysz, Kleinsasser, and a few others as one of the football team's highest profile recruits ever. The staff seems to be placing an emphasis on great speed, not that we haven't had it in the past, but Dressler, the Rohde kid, and even a DE like the kid from Canada have top-notch speed for their positions. Thanks again UND Fan.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We may have as many as eight home games next year. We know about Central Washington and Mesa but Delta State, Ferris St. and Kutztown St. may also come to GF. The schedule should be finalized soon. We would likely pay guarantees to these schools rather than "home & home" arrangements. No more Crookstons!!!

So much for the arguement that Roger made regarding having enough home games next year. To have 8 games at home is something I didn't think was possible.

I am hoping for that D2 legislation to allow a D2 team to play a I-AA with no penality. This is suppose to happen in April.

But if it doesn't Oh, well. NDSU will remember this when UND moves up.

Great info. :)

Here is hoping it is true, and that the Stadnyk kid did, in fact, verbal.  If so, he would have to be up there with Lotysz, Kleinsasser, and a few others as one of the football team's highest profile recruits ever. 

Ironically, the Grand Valley now Central Michigan coach may beat us out again. From allcanadagridion:

College football coaches have  started to discover the talents of ReginaMiller DE Mike Stadnyk.Central Michigan University offered him a scholarship on Thursday and Montana has offered him oneas of Saturday. Montana is setting up a visit

If NDSU wanted to play UND year-in, year-out, they should have stayed in the NCC. Why the hell do their apologists find that so hard to understand?

Actually we *DON'T* want you play you anymore, on to bigger and better things.

Some of the old school fans are pissed that the rivalry has ended, that's about it.

Actually we *DON'T* want you play you anymore, on to bigger and better things.

Some of the old school fans are pissed that the rivalry has ended, that's about it.

You know what, you are right. Your AD hasn't been lobbying for it at all. He's said the door is shut on any games once NDSU gets into DI, he's never said anything about the offer being out there, the ball being in our court. Your President doesn't care. Miles and Ruley have never said that they want the rivalry to continue, and weren't upset with any of Rich Glas' comments. Bohl is on record countless times about not giving a hoot about the rivalry. Nobody on the NDSU side does care about the game. Please. Since this is apparently the case, it has been solved, NDSU is to blame because according to Idiot1234, they don't want to play us anymore. Thanks for making it clear that it is NDSU's fault and both sides aren't to blame.

That is outstanding if the Manke rumor is fact.

I think that I have figured out why we are not hearing or reading in the Herald or Forum that recruits have committed to UND or SU as often as in past few years.

Both Rocky and especially Babich made sure that commitments of higher profile athletes were published as soon as possible. Although that can't be done by the school, it can easily happen through the player, his coach, his local newspaper, or someone dropping a hint to the Forum, etc.

They did it for two reasons:

1) Once a commitment is published, a recruit really can't change his mind very easily. He is pretty much locked in. Apparently SU's outstanding OL of a few years ago, Pete Campion, probably would have played for the Sioux had the Forum not published that he was going to SU. He had changed his mind but didn't want to go through the embarrassment and questions if he would have signed with UND.

2) Having the names of coveted recruits published as they commit makes it easier to convince other coveted recruits to come to your school. Babich used this technique extensively to entice others to come to SU to join an "outstanding class" of recruits.

I am not implying that I have a huge problem with this. It is probably a good strategy although I don't think it is too fair to the recruit.

You didn't hear much about UND recruiting before signing date until the last few years. UND had to start doing the same thing as Babich was effectively using it to his advantage.

Apparently, Bohl does not operate this way in his recruiting. Therefore, UND has also revised how they do things.

Only a theory but I bet it is a pretty accurate assessment of the situation.

1) Once a commitment is published, a recruit really can't change his mind very easily. He is pretty much locked in. Apparently SU's outstanding OL of a few years ago, Pete Campion, probably would have played for the Sioux had the Forum not published that he was going to SU. He had changed his mind but didn't want to go through the embarrassment and questions if he would have signed with UND.

Lies.

Pat Sweeney just confirmed that Rory Manke has committed to UND! Great news! Also, Reese Hendrickson of state MN 9-man champion Stephen-Argyle has committed. He was a second team A.P. all-state selection (all classes combined) as a returner, and was a good running back and defensive back also. Erik Moe, a 6'4", 260 pound offensive lineman from International Falls also committed.

A brief summary of the verbal commitments:

Weston Dressler

Bismarck, 5'7", 150 lbs., rb/wr/returns, 2139 yards rushing, 405 yards receiving and 40 td's as a senior; all state.

Jake Caufield

Minot, 6'2", 190 lbs., wr, 1074 yards and 9 td's as a senior; all state.

Rory Manke

Detroit Lakes, 6'1", 195 lbs., qr/wr/db, 1011 yards rushing and 16 td's, 1160 yards passing and 10 td's as a senior; 62 career td's; 12 career int's; 2nd team A.P. all-state as a quarterback; Fargo Forum player of the year.

Mike Rohde

D.C. Everest of Schofield, WI, 5'8", 178 lbs., rb, 883 yards rushing and 12 td's as a senior despite missing much of the season with an injury; 2nd team all-state by both A.P. and Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel; team won state title in Wisconsin's largest class and he was named player of the game.

Reece Henrickson

Stephen-Argyle, 5'11", 185 lbs., rb/wr/returns, 966 yards rushing and 18 td's; 800 yards receiving and 13 td's as a senior; 2nd team A.P. all-state as a returner.

Mike Yilek

Eden Prairie, 6'3", 265, ol, all-metro and 2nd team all-state by Pioneer Press; also excellent wrestler.

Erik Moe

International Falls, 6'4", 265 lbs., ol, 4th in discus at MN state track meet in 2003.

The top QB on the list is supposed to be out of Kenosha, WS.  He is supposed to be a big kid who was accompanied to UND by his father, the coach of his HS team.  In searching the web, there appears to be a great QB out of Kenosha St. Josephs, Dan Freund.  His dad is the principal of the HS - couldn't verify if he was the coach.  This kid is "only" 6'1", 190 so I am not sure he is the "big" kid that was in for the visit.  Earlier we had heard that UND was looking at QB Mike Klepatz out of New Berlin, WS.  He is 6'6" - I suppose it could have been him.  I hope it was Freund!

This QB and Heckendorf spent a lot of time together - it would be great to land them both!

I'm almost positive that Danny Freund is UND's number one quarterback target. There was an article in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel last fall in which he stated that UND, among others, was talking to him. His father is his high school coach, also. Freund was named first team all-state by the A.P. and sounds a lot like Keith Heckendorf in terms of size, mobility and production. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he and Kole Heckendorf end up at the same school, which would probably narrow it down to us and St. Cloud. The main strike against UND would be the opportunity to play sooner at St. Cloud since I believe their quarterback situation is pretty unsettled. Also, St. Cloud is obviously closer to home for those guys. Of course, UND has one or two things going for it, also. :( If we could land both of those guys, along with the players already committed and the ten or so others who are likely to sign, this could be one of the better classes I can remember, at least on paper.

If St. Cloud's quarterback situation is unsettled, it may become settled with someone who takes over next year.  With Bowenkamp a senior next year, the job would be open after a redshirt season.

I don't disagree with you. My comments regarding St. Cloud's quarterback situation were more in reference to the fact that they really haven't brought in a blue-chip qb prospect since Keith Heckendorf back in 1999. I still wonder to this day how heavily recruited he was coming out of high school since that was in the midst of a terrible period for SCSU football and you have to wonder whether he'd have gone there had he had many other offers. For all I know, perhaps he would have gone there anyway, it just seems like they probably weren't in a position to be winning many recruiting battles back then considering the lack of success, facilities, fan support, media coverage, etc.