SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting Tidbit

sodakfan

I was just thinking about ND high school players who have earned division I football scholarships since about 1990. By my count, there have only been approximately 10:

Chris Berg at Stanford

Justin Conzemius at Minnesota

Peter Hiestand at Minnesota

Sean Hoffman at Minnesota

Dan Kwapinski at Minnesota

Greg Eslinger at Minnesota

Brooks Bollinger at Wisconsin

Andrew LeClair at Kansas

Ben Murphy at Wyoming

Brandon Casavan at Wyoming

I may have missed a few, but probably not too many. In any event, I can't recall a single ND kid going to a IAA school, at least on scholarship, over this time period. Whether this is significant or not, I don't know. There isn't much question that there have been numerous ND natives at both UND and NDSU who could have easily played at that level. I'm just curious whether the lack of ND players at IAA schools is due to the fact that no IAA schools have recruited here, that most in-state kids have preferred to play at either UND or NDSU instead of a IAA school, or perhaps some other reason. Any thoughts?

Lack of exposure, lack of good coaching. I think that there are 5-10 o & d lineman every year who could play DI in the state.

Others:

Waye Terry QB @ Iowa St from Valley City

Lance Sannes OL @ Minnesota from Wahpeton (may be a walk-on)

there is a lineman at one of the military schools from ND right now, name escapes me

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND 92,96

Off the top of my head, Chris Berg (QB, Fargo South 90 or 91) played at Stanford.

I would say the lack of I-AA schools in the area, and the lack of DI talent in the state are both contributing factors. I hope having some regional I-AA's wil raise the level of HS football in the region. Growing up in Ohio, I honestly think a lot of Ohio Junior High teams could easily beat Fargo South or West Fargo(I'm not even going to mention what they would do to the GF HS teams :ohmy: )

Lack of exposure, lack of good coaching.  I think that there are 5-10 o & d lineman every year who could play DI in the state.

Others:

Waye Terry QB @ Iowa St from Valley City

Lance Sannes OL @ Minnesota from Wahpeton (may be a walk-on)

there is a lineman at one of the military schools from ND right now, name escapes me

I had forgotten about Terry. I didn't include Sannes because I'm almost positive he's a walk-on. The other kid is Seth Nieman (sp?) who played at Langdon. I believe there have been a few other kids at the military academies, as well, although obviously the military academies are something of a different situation from other dI schools.

From allcanadagridiron.com:

NCAA division 1 universities are discovering Miller DE Mike Stadnyk. North Dakota, Weber St. and Montana are not the only one's recruiting him now, both Central Michigan and Rutgers are anxiously awaiting his tape.

Looks like it's going to be tough for UND to sign this kid.

Also, there's a kid from Donovan Alexander's high school in Winnipeg named Chaanse Fennell who is 5'11", 200 lbs. and who ran for 1279 yards (more than 10 yards per carry) and 17 touchdowns in just 7 games. I don't know whether UND has looked at him but he sounds like a pretty decent prospect.

An updated recruiting list (again, I can't vouch for the 100% accuracy of this list, and it is definitely not all-inclusive):

The following either are or were being recruited by UND according to at least one internet source:

<snip>

Rory Manke, qb/wr/db, 6'1", 195, Detroit Lakes

Heard today that it is VERY possible that Manke will be attending Nebraska to play football.

Heard today that it is VERY possible that Manke will be attending Nebraska to play football.

On the one hand, this wouldn't surprise me because I believe it is his goal to play IA football. On the other hand, since Callahan hasn't even hired a staff yet, it would seem like an odd time for anyone to be committing to Nebraska since whomever is doing the recruiting may not even have their job in another day or two. Also, I believe Nebraska has really put a premium on speed in the secondary and although Rory has good speed, it's certainly not in the legit 4.5 or better range. It wouldn't have necessarily surprised me if he had committed to Minnesota since I believe they have been talking to him for awhile, but Nebraska? I'm not doubting your info, it just seems a little odd under the circumstances. I know someone who is friends with his family so I'll try to get some kind of confirmation of this.

Take this for what it's worth since it's third or fourth hand information, but I spoke with my "source" and he hadn't heard of any commitment by Manke as of this past weekend. He said that Rory still had a couple of visits yet to take, but that as far as he knew, UND was still very much in the picture. Again, I can't vouch for the 100% accuracy of this, but it sounds quite possible that no decisions have been made as of yet.

going back to the NU firings. seems kinda stupid to me to fire off all the assistants. you should keep 2 or 3 that have a good repore with the players, to help keep the peace if you will. things might be interesting in Lincoln next year, but i wouldn't look for them to win the Big 12 next year. then again, who knows right?? there is a reason why they play the games. well, other than when it comes to picking out a true National Champion.

going back to the NU firings. seems kinda stupid to me to fire off all the assistants. you should keep 2 or 3 that have a good repore with the players, to help keep the peace if you will. things might be interesting in Lincoln next year, but i wouldn't look for them to win the Big 12 next year. then again, who knows right?? there is a reason why they play the games. well, other than when it comes to picking out a true National Champion.

They did have two assistants to stay, Turner Gill and Recruiting Coordinator Scott Downing. Gill would be the link to Old School Nebraska if he stays, and Downing would still be in touch with recruits such as Manke. The offense, from other new stories, will change to the West Coast Offense.

Sodakfan who has been keeping us here up to date with Tyson Descamps is saying on the SDSU board that he has apparently verballed with St. Cloud. He would've been a good get, but it doesn't concern me if this is true. A poster replied to what Sodakfan said by asking why anyone would want to go to a school where hockey will always be number one. Comical.

A poster replied to what Sodakfan said by asking why anyone would want to go to a school where hockey will always be number one.  Comical.

It never ceases to amaze me how certain ignorant people want to portray hockey as some sort of boogeyman. Not to mention the irony of a fan of a school where basketball is clearly number one lamenting how a football player would attend a so-called hockey school. Classic.

Even schools with historically better hockey than UND (UMN, UMI, BC, etc) at least have the common sense to invest most of their money into the 2 main college sports (fball and bball).

First, to say that these schools have historically been better at hockey than UND is your opinion, and not a very informed one at that. Second, what exactly is your point? It seems to me that UND has been doing just fine in football, thank you.

UND is one of the few schools in which hockey is the pride of the Athletic Department also commanding the best facilities and the largest budget.

Even schools with historically better hockey than UND (UMN, UMI, BC, etc) at least have the common sense to invest most of their money into the 2 main college sports (fball and bball).

Not very informed at all. But then again, he's probably bitter and discouraged after seeing SI.com's new poll.

NDSU Football popularity among state residents: 13%

UND MEN'S HOCKEY Popularity among state residents: 19%

You can't tell me 19% of those polled were in Grand Forks. If that were so, the NDSU number would be MUCH lower.

BTW- Michigan has 9 NCs. UND has 7. UMN has 5. BC has at least 2, at most 4. In hockey anyways

Of the schools Bison1234 listed, Michigan is probably the ONLY school with an athletic department that is dangerous in all major college sports. BC is overrated in football

Minnesota's basketball team is decent, but their football team is competitive with BC, but basically overrated. You dont have to worry about Minnesota getting a Sugar Bowl berth, because BC will beat them to it.

As for BC Basketball, I don't know anything about their basketball team.

I was simply stating that there are very few schools where the pride and joy is hockey. UND, UAA, SCSU are a couple i can think of. As a football athlete, it can be weird to know that football plays second fiddle where as other schools football is the major bread winner.

Also, you want to talk about history? Look at this website: http://www.ushockeyhall.com/1980teamroster.htm

Most of them are from the UMN and UB. BGSU and UMN-Duluth even have 2 players on the team where UND had ONE!! HA!

I was simply stating that there are very few schools where the pride and joy is hockey. UND, UAA, SCSU are a couple i can think of. As a football athlete, it can be weird to know that football plays second fiddle where as other schools football is the major bread winner.

1. How do you know that as a football player, playing second fiddle to hochey would be weird.

2. This obviously plays no role in recruiting as UND beats NDSU, a football school every year.

3. If you think it does play such a large role perhaps it is that the football players you know of (NDSU) simply have big egos. If someone doesn't want to play if playing second fiddle at UND, the class football program of the NCC, is such a dilema, they really wouldn't be good fits anyway.

4. Who the hell cares if UND only had 1 player on the Miracle on Ice Team. That isn't college hockey history, it is Olympic history and bares little reflection on UND hockey from a historic standpoint.

5. Once again, your speculation and pointless posts are tiring to say the least.