SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting Tidbit

sodakfan

1. How do you know that as a football player, playing second fiddle to hochey would be weird.

2. This obviously plays no role in recruiting as UND beats NDSU, a football school every year.

3. If you think it does play such a large role perhaps it is that the football players you know of (NDSU) simply have big egos. If someone doesn't want to play if playing second fiddle at UND, the class football program of the NCC, is such a dilema, they really wouldn't be good fits anyway.

4. Who the hell cares if UND only had 1 player on the Miracle on Ice Team. That isn't college hockey history, it is Olympic history and bares little reflection on UND hockey from a historic standpoint.

5. Once again, your speculation and pointless posts are tiring to say the least.

1. I don't know personally, i was just speculating. Just common sense.

2. Lately you have had success and you do hold the overall record but you hardly have won 100% of the time.

3. UND isn't the class football program of the NCC

4. It obviously IS college hockey history if all the players and coaches came from colleges!! And UND had only one member. It has a big reflection on UND since UND only had one member they obviously weren't a big power in college hockey back then.

5. Everything except the 1980 Olympic team was speculation.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. It obviously IS college hockey history if all the players and coaches came from colleges!! And UND had only one member. It has a big reflection on UND since UND only had one member they obviously weren't a big power in college hockey back then.

The majority of UND's hockey team at that time was Canadian. (Note from this year's WJC roster and history that Team Canada picks from major junior, not American college, rosters to form a team.)

Next note that in the era in question, UND

Lost the 1979 National Championship game

Won the 1980 National Championship (two months after Lake Placid)

Won the 1982 National Championship

How long did it take you to learn to talk out of that oriface? :glare:

2. Not 100% of the time, but to so 13 of 15 or whatever it is isn't dominating is insane.

3. 1 National Championship, i National Runner-up in the last 3 years, if that doesn't make a team the current class of the league it is beyond me what does.

4. The Sicatoka laid out the facts for that time period. With every post it becomes more and more obvious that you have no sense of UND or NDSU history and are simply typing with no clue about the facts.

From allcanadagridiron.com:

Miles Mac CB Brandon Jordan has received a very good offer to attend the University of North Dakota this fall.
With defensive lineman Jonathan Etienne Pierre, Jamal Westerman and Keith Sholigan now committed to NCAA division universities, look for the action to continue to pick up for DE Mike Stadnyk at Miller High in Regina

Mike's coach Dwayne Ell, a former player at North Dakota, has done a great job preparing Mike for the next level.

From allcanadagridiron.com:

St. Francis RB Rolle Lumbala is on his official visit this weekend to South Carolina. Hawaii is hoping he will consider visiting them. He also visited North Dakota last weekend.

It's pretty doubtful we would have much of a chance of getting this kid if he's drawing serious IA interest, but it's pretty impressive that we could get him to visit. I believe he's one of the top few running backs in Canada.

In my recollection, the names of 8-10 UND commitments would have been publicized by now in the last couple of years. I haven't read/heard about many NDSU commitments either. Anyone have any idea why that is? I would hope that it isn't because we aren't doing well.

It's pretty doubtful we would have much of a chance of getting this kid if he's drawing serious IA interest, but it's pretty impressive that we could get him to visit. I believe he's one of the top few running backs in Canada.

The Columbia (SC) newspaper says Lumbala was not offered by SC, so UND may be still in the running (despite the reference to NDSU):

Running back Rolly Lumbala (6-1, 227) of Calgary visited USC over the weekend. He was not offered by the Gamecocks. He’s also been to North Dakota State and is also hearing from Hawaii.

In my recollection, the names of 8-10 UND commitments would have been publicized by now in the last couple of years. I haven't read/heard about many NDSU commitments either. Anyone have any idea why that is? I would hope that it isn't because we aren't doing well.

There definitely has been less info on internet bulletin boards such as Minnesotapreps and Wisconsinpreps. There are probably more athletes in the Twin Cities and Denver areas that are being recruited than have been reported here. Canadian recruiting has definitely been stepped up by all appearances. NDSU's recruiting effort especially contrasts with last year, as there has been no "noise" in the Chicago area yet. They may be emphasizing the JC ranks much more, but as of today their effort seems like a stealth campaign. Their new staff may not have Babich's strength: recruiting ability.

It seems like the big schools (Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, etc.) are not yet done recruiting. I don't know why, though. Once they are done, the remaining colleges will pick up. Usually the big school bring in 20-25 players per class. The ones I checked are at about 17 each (U Colorado, U Oklahoma, U South Carolina, etc.)

So what do you guys think are the primary areas of need this year in terms of recruiting? I'm not sure there are any glaring needs, but of course there's always room for improvement. Here's how I see the state of the various positions, with names of those who have been recruited the past two years in parentheses:

quarterback (Bellmore, Manke and possibly Groeschl)

It wouldn't surprise me if we bring in someone this year, although it may be tough to get a blue-chipper considering there are two or three good quarterbacks already here who have three years of eligibility left. One guy who I believe UND has shown interest in is Danny Freund from Wisconsin, who was an all-stater this year.

running back (Strouth, Sundby, Christensen and Stewart)

Strouth was effective this year, and I see Sundby as being in the Roland mold. I'd love to see us get a guy with a combination of size and speed to potentially be an every-down back. Lumbala would be ideal if we could get him, but it will be tough. I'm sure there are a number of running backs being recruited this year.

wide receiver (Presthus, Groeschl, Ott and Hegg)

Caufield and Dressler are already committed. I'd love to see a deep threat a la Lueck. I'm not sure if Heckendorf is still a possibility but he would fit the bill. Also may be some Canadians who are being looked at.

tight end (Thomas and Turgeon)

While it would have been nice to have gotten the kid from Fargo South, I believe Thomas brings far more speed so that's a plus. I'm not sure if Jared Bardon from Wisconsin is still being recruited, but I understand he's pretty athletic and also an excellent basketball player.

offensive line (Bauer, Bonnet, Braegelmann, Bronson, Hoffelt and Soll)

This is an area where you need to sign some guys every year. I'm not really aware of any North Dakotans who are considered good o-line prospects, unless Samson from Cavalier would play offense instead of defense.

defensive line (Cadwell, Muro, Richter, White and Wolff)

I would think defensive end would be a position where we will see a few signees this year. Canadian Mike Stadnyk may be the number one guy here, but he's apparently receiving a lot of division I interest. Nose guard should be pretty solid with Muro in the fold and Wolff who can probably play either on the nose or at end.

linebacker (Brennan, Ullsperger, Babington-Johnson, Meek, Reiff, Schmitz and Wise)

Linebackers are signed every year, but if ever there was an area where you could get away with not signing anyone for a year, this would be it. There is obviously a wealth of talent here, so anyone who does sign will either have to be willing to wait several years to see the field, or be an absolute blue-chip player.

defensive back (Hoffschneider, Alexander, Aagaard, Carmin, DeSautel, Greenwood, Guenther and Wenzel)

Another position that appears to be very well-stocked for the future. However, it also appears that a number of defensive back prospects are being recruited including Rory Manke, Brandon Jordan and Matt Lien.

I heard rumors that eithr Ross Walker, or Ross Brennan returned. Either way that is huge. If its walker, that is a nice sized, athletic outside linebacker since he was 250 plus. If its Brennan the nosegaurd spot just became sick. With him, plus Duescher coming off honarable mention season we might need to run a 4-4.!!(j\k) But I think recruiting will take a different shape for this year. No one I see that we sign, will see time within this next year or 2 so I think we might go after a different kind. Though you still go after the best player.

I heard rumors that eithr Ross Walker, or Ross Brennan returned. Either way that is huge. If its walker, that is a nice sized, athletic outside linebacker since he was 250 plus. If its Brennan the nosegaurd spot just became sick. With him, plus Duescher coming off honarable mention season we might need to run a 4-4.!!(j\k) But I think recruiting will take a different shape for this year. No one I see that we sign, will see time within this next year or 2 so I think we might go after a different kind. Though you still go after the best player.

It's Brennan.

What happened to Beatty?

He's still around, but he kind of got buried on the depth chart. Rolland developed over him in the fall, and Strouth didn't give the coaches any choice but to play him with the skills he brings to the table. There was an injury there to Beatty too, but he is kind of a tweener at RB-not great speed, not great power, not great agility, not great strength.

From the Wisconsin State Journal (in Madison):

Armentrout's son Jordan, a 5-10, 175-pound running back who ran for 1,328 yards as a senior, will visit NCAA Division II North Dakota this weekend. He also is considering Division I-AA Northern Iowa and Southwest Missouri State and Division II Winona (Minn.) State.

I have some new information regarding Rory Manke. First of all, Nebraska WAS pretty high on him until he ran about a 5.1 40 at their camp last summer. I think that kind of turned them off to recruiting him. I can guarantee he is faster than that, but maybe weather and just having a bad day running had alot to do with it also. Im not really sure though. NDSU wants Manke to play QB, and UND wants him to play d-back. NDSU has him as one of their top 3 recruits across the board. Although if he signs with UND, they would never admit that. He really liked the OC at NDSU, Dan Enos, who has since left to go to Cincinatti. I think that will have an effect on Rory's decision. But also remember that his recruiting coach at UND was Tom Dosch, who has since left to be HC at Jamestown. According to Manke's HS coach, he would almost prefer to play d-back in college, which will help the sioux in recruiting him also. I have heard that Manke is going to make his decision on where he will attend by the end of this week. Should be interesting. Come to UND Rory, we are your family.......literally. :)

I don't know whether or not this is factual, but according to a poster on the wisconsinpreps.com board, running back Mike Rohde from D.C. Everest high school in Schofield, WI has committed to UND. He is pretty small (5'8", 175) but very fast. He was a second team all-state selection despite missing much of the year with a knee injury. He had 221 yards and four td's in the division I (largest class) state championship game.

The Manke scenario reminds me of two situations that haunted the Soux in the past. We recruited Mark Speral out of Fargo and Kevin Feeney out of Bismarck to be DBs, NDSU successfully recruited them as QBs and both came back to burn us many times. Of course, SU was running the veer then and both were veer-type QBs.

I realize that the situations are not likely the same but I would sure hate to lose him to SU because he wanted to play QB.

Football related info from a semi-reliable source:

RECRUITING

We have 8-10 commitments at this time but the only three that could be confirmed were the ones we are aware of: Dressler, Caufield and Rohde. Apparently Rohde has outstanding speed and quickness - sounds a lot like Dressler.

The Bison have gotten a couple of kids we wanted because they were able to offer full rides compared to our partials. We better get used to that scenario. With their adding 20 scholarships this year, this will happen often in years to come.

Kole Heckendorf had a good visit to UND last weekend. He is considering St. Cloud, where his brother was the All-American QB, and will be visiting Grand Valley State this weekend. He is at the top of our WR list - it would be great to get him.

The top QB on the list is supposed to be out of Kenosha, WS. He is supposed to be a big kid who was accompanied to UND by his father, the coach of his HS team. In searching the web, there appears to be a great QB out of Kenosha St. Josephs, Dan Freund. His dad is the principal of the HS - couldn't verify if he was the coach. This kid is "only" 6'1", 190 so I am not sure he is the "big" kid that was in for the visit. Earlier we had heard that UND was looking at QB Mike Klepatz out of New Berlin, WS. He is 6'6" - I suppose it could have been him. I hope it was Freund!

This QB and Heckendorf spent a lot of time together - it would be great to land them both!

I got the impression that one of the commitments might be the Stadnyk DE out of Regina.

It appears that both Brennan and Carney will be back next year. That really creates a log jam at QB. And, Groeschel prefers to move back to QB!

NEXT YEAR'S SCHEDULE

We may have as many as eight home games next year. We know about Central Washington and Mesa but Delta State, Ferris St. and Kutztown St. may also come to GF. The schedule should be finalized soon. We would likely pay guarantees to these schools rather than "home & home" arrangements. No more Crookstons!!!

AGAIN - this info is unofficial - it may or may not be fact.