SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting Tidbit

sodakfan

Dang!! I am so sorry....... Earlier I had reported Jark had committed to UND-----the fact is it was NDSU!!! :D;) I cannot tell you people how dumb I feel right now. The person telling me was wrong.

Don't worry about it, sodakfan. Most of what's posted in this thread is speculation, so it's pretty tough to be too upset with someone for being wrong about something. I hope you continue to update us on the recruitment of DesCamps.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it'll change your mind, UND 92,96, but there is a reason that NDSU is going after JUCOs this year and last.

Last year, NDSU needed immediate help on the defensive line and secondary. They were partially successful because the defensive line got a lot better.

This year, NDSU is in the process of ramping up scholarships as fast as they can (our AD wants to add 20 or so equivalencies to the 10 or so that they'd usually have available so that NDSU can get on a DI-A schedule ASAP if they want).

If the coaching staff were to give all 30 full schollies to high school seniors, this would come back to bite them in a couple years because they'd have nothing to give for a couple years. By increasing scholarship amounts for current players and bringing in JUCOs, the coaching staff is trying to avoid this.

I think that once the coaching staff gets the depth they want, NDSU will go back to the old recruiting pattern of bringing in almost all HS seniors. Besides, DI has more stringent guidelines for JUCOs than DII does (as evidenced by UND's basketball roster the last couple years :D ).

Oh yeah, sodakfan, if you want to feel smarter, post that Jark is going to NDSU on the Bisonville board and watch some Bison fans say how he couldn't compete in DI-AA anyway (kind of like some of the guys did with Dressler - a guy I'd have loved to see in a Bison uniform). That should cheer you up ;)

Not that it'll change your mind, UND 92,96, but there is a reason that NDSU is going after JUCOs this year and last.

Last year, NDSU needed immediate help on the defensive line and secondary. They were partially successful because the defensive line got a lot better.

This year, NDSU is in the process of ramping up scholarships as fast as they can (our AD wants to add 20 or so equivalencies to the 10 or so that they'd usually have available so that NDSU can get on a DI-A schedule ASAP if they want).

If the coaching staff were to give all 30 full schollies to high school seniors, this would come back to bite them in a couple years because they'd have nothing to give for a couple years. By increasing scholarship amounts for current players and bringing in JUCOs, the coaching staff is trying to avoid this.

I think that once the coaching staff gets the depth they want, NDSU will go back to the old recruiting pattern of bringing in almost all HS seniors.

That's fine, I can buy that. My point was that recruiting juco's (at least for football) is not generally the way to go because you can recruit talent good enough to win from the high school ranks. I'm sure we can agree on that. If it's a matter of more or less evening out the classes to compensate for some of the attrition from some previous recruiting classes, then it makes a certain amount of sense. If it's more based on an attempt to upgrade talent, then the results have been mixed. I believe that out of the approximately eight or nine juco players signed by NDSU in the past two years, only three have been impact players or at least solid starters (Malone, Ware and Summerville). Five or six others have been something less than that (Cooley and one other linebacker from the 2002 team who may have red-shirted and whose name escapes me, Mamula, Byrd, Irby and Fleming).

DI has more stringent guidelines for JUCOs than DII does (as evidenced by UND's basketball roster the last couple years :D ).

In the interest of fairness, I believe UND and NDSU have each recruited a very comparable number of juco basketball players in recent years. Unfortunately, it's somewhat necessary in basketball because there are so few dI or even high dII caliber basketball players from this area.

UND92,96, I can't disagree with that (i.e. football teams shouldn't rely on JUCOs).

I just don't think NDSU's recruiting philosophy will end up changing much. In the short term, NDSU will recruit JUCOs; in the long term, they'll rely almost exclusively on high school seniors.

It appears to me that NDSU and UND are going after a lot of the same kids so there can't be that much difference between the two program's recruiting philosophies.

I'd be surprised if the Bison didn't recruit JUCO Dlineman every single year from now on. That is where perhaps the largest contrast is between divisions, the size/speed of these Dlineman. Lets be honest, there aren't too many DE's that fit that bill in MN and the Dakota's. Also, the secondary is a place where I wouldn't be surprised at all for them to go to the JUCO ranks for year after year. The Bison coaches had better familiarize themselves with the Jayhawk Conference pretty quick. IAA teams as a whole rely on JUCO kids greatly, just look at the rosters of the teams in the Gateway. I'd guess it is going to be more of the norm for the Bison then just a bridge during the transitionary period, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

From allcanadagridiron.com:

Miller DE Mike Stadnyk has a busy January coming up. He will visit University of North Dakota, Northern Michigan, Montana and Weber St. Whichever of these schools is lucky enough to land Mike, is getting a steal. Mike should be visiting schools like, Boise St., Syracuse, Kentucky etc. Mike is potentialy the top DE prospect in the country in the most under viewed area of the country.

An updated recruiting list (again, I can't vouch for the 100% accuracy of this list, and it is definitely not all-inclusive):

verbal commitments:

Weston Dressler, rb/wr/returns, 5'6", 150, Bismarck

Jake Caufield, wr, 6'2", 190, Minot

The following either are or were being recruited by UND according to at least one internet source:

Jordan Armentrout, rb, Madison (WI) Memorial

Jared Bardon, te, 6'3", 225, Deforest (WI)

Allistair Blair, rb, 5'10", 225, Toronto Central Tech

Tristan Black, lb, 6'2", 228, Toronto Central Tech

Ricky Clarke, wr/returns, 6'0", 180, Toronto Central Tech

Bobby Coy, rb, 5'10", 175, Heritage (CO)

Tyson DesCamps, rb, 5'9", 190, Aberdeen (SD)

Danny Freund, qb, 6'1", 190, Kenosha (WI) St. Joseph's

Zach Harrington, dl, 6'2", 270, Carrington

Kole Heckendorf, wr, 6'2", 175, Mosinee (WI)

Brandon Jordan, wr/db, Winnipeg

Mike Klepatz, te, 6'6", 225, New Berlin (WI)

Matt Lien, wr/db, 6'3", 190, Duluth Denfeld

Rory Manke, qb/wr/db, 6'1", 195, Detroit Lakes

Jordan Meier, qb, Madison (WI) Memorial

Tyler Morrow, lb, 6'3", 232, NDSCS

Mike Stadnyk, de, 6'3", 235, Miller (in Sask.?)

No confirmation of being recruited by UND but probably are receiving at least some interest:

Trevor Dally, ol, 6'4", 285, Fosston

Chris Erdmann, qb, Crookston

Josh Karch, lb, 6'2", 195, Moorhead

Jerry Netland, fb/punter, Bagley

Nolan Oliver, lb, 6'1", 205, Moorhead

Wayne Samson, ol/dl, 6'4", 275, Cavalier

Eric Schaumberg, db, 6'1", 165, Mahnomen

Brady Trenbeath, wr, 6'0", 175, Cavalier

Dustin Timmersman, fb, Roseau

Jesse Vote, db, Cando

Boise State, Syracuse, and Kentucky?!

Yeah those are the true big name programs in the US. Boise state plays in a micky mouse league and both Cuse and Kentucky put more stock in bball.

I believe the statement was in regard to the fact that those schools have recruited heavily in Canada in the past. Boise St. has been a very good program considering its location and the fact that is was once a jr. college not all that many years ago.

It's my understanding of college football that if you are ranked 16th in the second to last poll of the year in D1A college football, as Boise St is, you are doing pretty dam well. I could be wrong, though. If you think Syracuse is a basketball school just becuse they won the national title last year in basketball you obviously have no idea of college football history. Some names come to mind like Ernie Davis, Jim Brown, Donovan McNabb, Adrian Mcpherson, Rob Konrad, and Dwight Freeney off the top of my head, the first a Heisman Trophy winner and the next 3 all having nearly won the Heisman.

It's my understanding of college football that if you are ranked 16th in the second to last poll of the year in D1A college football, as Boise St is, you are doing pretty dam well. I could be wrong, though. If you think Syracuse is a basketball school just becuse they won the national title last year in basketball you obviously have no idea of college football history. Some names come to mind like Ernie Davis, Jim Brown, Donovan McNabb, Adrian Mcpherson, Rob Konrad, and Dwight Freeney off the top of my head, the first a Heisman Trophy winner and the next 3 all having nearly won the Heisman.

you failed to mention Marvin Harrison, and groves of NFL d-backs also. will allen is the first that comes to mind. way off topic, but i just had to get in my 2 cents on the matter. back on topic.

If there were a play-off, Boise State would get their asses kicked in by real D1A schools.

They barely beat TCU for crying out loud.

It's just another pathetic biased human poll that could rank such a team that high. I hate human polls and their biasedness and i get sick when the BCS commissioner or whatever wants to have more emphasis on biased human polls just so the bastard can keep their pathetic BCS system and try and please people at the same time.

from AllCanadaGridiron:

Winnipeg's CB Brandon Jordan is being looked at and is taking a serious look at North Dakota and Northern Michigan

Northern Michigan's program is really struggling. They're coming off a 3-8 season, and several of the losses were blow-outs. I would think that there's a pretty good chance that if UND makes a decent offer in terms of scholarship money, Jordan will come here. I have no idea, however, how many corners UND is recruiting, and who the number one target is. With young corners like Hoffschneider and Alexander already here, that may scare off some potential recruits.

An updated recruiting list (again, I can't vouch for the 100% accuracy of this list, and it is definitely not all-inclusive):

verbal commitments:

Weston Dressler, rb/wr/returns, 5'6", 150, Bismarck

Jake Caufield, wr, 6'2", 190, Minot

The following either are or were being recruited by UND according to at least one internet source:

Jordan Armentrout, rb, Madison (WI) Memorial

Jared Bardon, te, 6'3", 225, Deforest (WI)

Allistair Blair, rb, 5'10", 225, Toronto Central Tech

Tristan Black, lb, 6'2", 228, Toronto Central Tech

Ricky Clarke, wr/returns, 6'0", 180, Toronto Central Tech

Bobby Coy, rb, 5'10", 175, Heritage (CO)

Tyson DesCamps, rb, 5'9", 190, Aberdeen (SD)

Danny Freund, qb, 6'1", 190, Kenosha (WI) St. Joseph's

Zach Harrington, dl, 6'2", 270, Carrington

Kole Heckendorf, wr, 6'2", 175, Mosinee (WI)

Brandon Jordan, wr/db, Winnipeg

Mike Klepatz, te, 6'6", 225, New Berlin (WI)

Matt Lien, wr/db, 6'3", 190, Duluth Denfeld

Rory Manke, qb/wr/db, 6'1", 195, Detroit Lakes

Jordan Meier, qb, Madison (WI) Memorial

Tyler Morrow, lb, 6'3", 232, NDSCS

Mike Stadnyk, de, 6'3", 235, Miller (in Sask.?)

No confirmation of being recruited by UND but probably are receiving at least some interest:

Trevor Dally, ol, 6'4", 285, Fosston

Chris Erdmann, qb, Crookston

Josh Karch, lb, 6'2", 195, Moorhead

Jerry Netland, fb/punter, Bagley

Nolan Oliver, lb, 6'1", 205, Moorhead

Wayne Samson, ol/dl, 6'4", 275, Cavalier

Eric Schaumberg, db, 6'1", 165, Mahnomen

Brady Trenbeath, wr, 6'0", 175, Cavalier

Dustin Timmersman, fb, Roseau

Jesse Vote, db, Cando

Another to add to the list-

Mike Yilek, 6'3" 265 lb center from Eden Prairie, All-Conference, Star Tribune All-Metro, 3 year starter at Eden Prairie (very impressive), and an excellent HWT wrestler.

I've been told by a reliable source that he verballed, visited over Dec 19, 20.

Another to add to the list-

Mike Yilek, 6'3" 265 lb center from Eden Prairie, All-Conference, Star Tribune All-Metro, 3 year starter at Eden Prairie (very impressive), and an excellent HWT wrestler.

I've been told by a reliable source that he verballed, visited over Dec 19, 20.

Yilek was also named all-state by the Pioneer Press. This was his all-state bio from the Press:

MIKE YILEK

Eden Prairie, Sr.

6-2, 265 pounds

The strongest player on the team and a three-year starter, a rarity in the Eagles' program. Was never injured and played every game after cracking the starting lineup as a sophomore. An outstanding pass blocker, with exceptionally quick first two steps. Is also one of the top wrestlers in the state.

Lucas Johnson, 6'3" LB/FB and a 3-sport athlete from St. Louis Park, has already visited UND, based on this article.

Johnson’s claim to fame at Park High is that he plays three sports almost equally well.

In football, he doubled as a linebacker and fullback, earning three letters.

He plays outfield for the baseball team and had an outstanding American Legion season last summer with a team-leading .409 batting average.

Asked about the demands of playing three sports, Johnson said, “I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love staying busy. All three sports are good at times, but football’s the one I love most and the one I plan to play in college.”

Johnson said he is looking for an opportunity to play at the NCAA Division IAA or II levels. He has visited the University of Minnesota-Duluth and the University of North Dakota. Other schools interested in him are South Dakota State, Concordia-St. Paul and Wisconsin-Eau Claire.

More on Brandon Jordan from allcanadagridiron.com:

Blue chip CB prospect Brandon Jordan, with Miles Mac, has been drawing interest from several universities on both sides of the border, will visit North Dakota this weekend. He will also likely visit Washburn, where Canadian Cooper Harris coaches.

If I'm not mistaken, Cooper Harris is a former grad assistant at UND.

I was just thinking about ND high school players who have earned division I football scholarships since about 1990. By my count, there have only been approximately 10:

Chris Berg at Stanford

Justin Conzemius at Minnesota

Peter Hiestand at Minnesota

Sean Hoffman at Minnesota

Dan Kwapinski at Minnesota

Greg Eslinger at Minnesota

Brooks Bollinger at Wisconsin

Andrew LeClair at Kansas

Ben Murphy at Wyoming

Brandon Casavan at Wyoming

I may have missed a few, but probably not too many. In any event, I can't recall a single ND kid going to a IAA school, at least on scholarship, over this time period. Whether this is significant or not, I don't know. There isn't much question that there have been numerous ND natives at both UND and NDSU who could have easily played at that level. I'm just curious whether the lack of ND players at IAA schools is due to the fact that no IAA schools have recruited here, that most in-state kids have preferred to play at either UND or NDSU instead of a IAA school, or perhaps some other reason. Any thoughts?